1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What it means to be “woke”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Apr 19, 2022.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@AroundTheWorld
    @Os Trigonum

Anyones who read my posts here know I support
    Elon musk
    Dave chappelle
    Joe Rogan
    Amazon
    Daryl Morey
    Russell brand
    Michael Jackson
    Tupac
    Latinos
    Pepe le pew
    Speedy Gonzales
    Random YouTubers
    Chris rock
    99ers

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Did this thread just get neutered? I guess there are limits to poo slinging...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that someone was uncomfortable - and the mods cleaned it up - fair enough.

I certainly take responsibility for saying "Chinese" when i should have said "Asian"........guess even my woke self has some growing to do.

DD

#43 DaDakota, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Nook likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ugh, that's annoying.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No free speech on a private server. Though I really liked that racism was actually being discussed here.

:)

DD

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Somebody snitched and I have a gut feeling it was a 99er...

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think I saw anything that was against any rules here, so I really don't get the need for the purge.

DaDakota and Andre0087 like this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I would guess the fact that I took it to a personal level by pointing out some racial hypocrisy by folks, probably bothered some of the people I was speaking with - not everyone is comfortable being completely transparent on the internet.

IMHO, that is a big part of the problem.

Not against the rules, but it is probably uncomfortable for some.

DD

#48 DaDakota, Apr 20, 2022
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Does Elon think you actually watch Netflix?

Is he actually trying to say Netflix is being overtaken by shows that are "woke"?

Elon is getting over his skis, he is one step away from saying something that will actually affect his and Tesla's bottom line.

I predict it will happen before this time next year.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can't blame Republicans for this concept or really blowing it up, the woke thing has been a badge of honor and a cudgel for some on the far left for a number of years.

Sometimes you got to own your shortcomings and not finger point.

Not saying you personally but this is not a right created thing.

Nook likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What did I miss?

So I guess there still is moderation on here.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Automods rolled out.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't report you, but you were being a HR disaster.

Frankly, whoever deleted those comments did you a favor.

Don't pull a fatty and share them on FB...you're well intentioned, the internet is not.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I see nothing wrong with talking race - and pointing out hypocrisy - in posters and their stances.

People should be able to have difficult conversations - and work it out. Racism is a thing, the GOP has a racist platform - ignoring it will not make it go away.

I get that it makes it uncomfortable for some - but someone has to be the first one over the wall.....

DD

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the heart of the debate gets at should we as a society dismiss the demerits of institutionalized racism over the last 400 years and how black and indigenous Americans are seen as lessers than their white counterparts in most communities because some of the loudest voices are young and often times the most radical in terms of how to approach these injustices.

That’s what bothers me the most about all the conversations about critical race theory. We should not be forbidding learning about how our country created a great amount of its wealth over its short existence. Whether it’s exploitation of Chinese workers in the west, central American workers in the south, or African workers/slaves in the South East, a lot of generational wealth was made off of the backs of people who still do not have a seat at the table.

jiggyfly, FrontRunner and DaDakota like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Nah, he posted it right there with the microagressions and other direct examples. You were being defensive and doubled down on your righteousness.

You can't start off by telling minorities "they should be lucky they have..." benefited from an imaginary new woke culture that sprang up over the past 5 years...when that belief supports your opinion. Especially when you start off on a "you're Chinese or Japanese" trope without even knowing firsthand. People with a mixed race history also fall under a different unique experience.

I thought it was humorous, so that's enough of my share in your teachable moment. Please ask any asian or minority friends you know in private for the rest.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

As far as black people using the word to mean that they understand, and are not blind to, all civil rights, social, and financial wrongs that have stymied their progress in this country, I respect the hell out of that.

White people shouldn’t use the word as much as they do. I don’t care that you grew up in a rich white community and went to an expensive liberal college and were taught to use the word to comfort your white guilt. I don’t care at all what rich white celebrities say either. Using the word will not make black people like you better. I think it’s racist for white people, especially those that never grew up with or really knew any black people, to pretend to understand them just by throwing some word around. I think its pandering. I think it’s racist.

jiggyfly, Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

DD calling people out about their ethnicity in real life among other things.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Look it is not mythical that Germany is a much more "Woke" culture than the USA is - much less racist.

That is just the truth - they completely came out of WW2 as a much more accepting society - they are devolving a bit with all the immigration from the middle east - which is where their racism is growing....but by and large Germany is much more "Woke" than the USA and it benefits EVERYONE growing up in that culture.

Saying that, doesn't make it racist......everyone benefits from growing up in a woke society.

Anyway, that is my .02.

DD

#59 DaDakota, Apr 20, 2022
  20. Invisible Fan

Have you ever lived in Germany for at least a year? Which part? Before or after Berlin Wall? How is woke practiced in Germany? How is it different than the US?

If you don't know, why are you assuming with positive stereotypes or things you "read or heard"?

Americans also assume "all Asians benefitted", a model minority and are crazy rich. Tell that to dirt poor Asian (Chinese or Japanese?) immigrants living under near slavery conditions. I'm sure they like it when people look at them and dismiss their lack of success as an inherent flaw. I mean it's not racist if you don't say it, but acting it out with microagressions is a lot better.

We have a lot of pretending and not a lot of understanding. Rallying behind a cause doesn't solve any of that. It won't change on here.

If you want to, open up with someone you can see face to face. They might be nice enough to spend time on how they really think about it.