1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your current Rockets Top 5 Draft Big board?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Mar 15, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Amen shot 77.4% from the free throw line over his last four games, which were the OTE playoffs (24 for 31). Small sample size, but for what it's worth, watching the tape, I do see improvement on his shooting form both from the free throw line and the three point line from his games early in the season to his games at the end of the season.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Like everyone says - it's a 2 man draft

1. victor Wembanyama - the haricot vert from France, knows who Basquiat is (a designer from Uniqlo)

2. Zach Edey - the powerful pivot from Purdue brings the beef from north of the border

3. Trade for a stud like Carl Anfernee Townsend

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

After his performance against Auburn I’m convinced Jarace is going to be a defensive beast in the league. Plus a lob threat, has 3 point range, mid range, post game, floater. At 6’ 8” 240 moves his feet extremely well and has the athleticism to recover and block shots from behind. Also a willing passer.

Outside of Wemby and possibly Miller it’s hard to imagine a rookie impacting winning next year more than Jarace. I’m low key hoping we fall enough to land him if we lose the Wemby sweepstakes.

OremLK likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think maybe Scoot could, but otherwise I agree. I just don't see high upside in Walker. I believe he could be a contributor to a winning team for many years to come, but if he's our top pick after three years of tanking with no superstars to show for it, I'm going to be beyond disappointed.

groovemachine likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Are you convinced Jalen, Jabari, and Sengun all will not become superstars?

We have seen players take major steps forward before. I could easily still see Green having an SGA-like breakout at some point. SGA didn't look any better in his first couple seasons, and may have even been worse, and now he's definitely looking like a superstar and the future of the Thunder franchise.

Or y'know it could be Josh Christopher

#105 OremLK, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    a la rockets and groovemachine like this.
  6. Williamson

I haven't ruled any of them out - but I'm also not convinced any of them will get there. They're all so young there is plenty of time for them to take leaps forward. That said, I'm definitely less optimistic that any of them will be capable of being the best player on a championship contender. But my current concerns are these:

Jalen - He is a really terrible shooter and he's also been terrible on the defensive end. If he could overcome one or the other I'd be much higher on him. But right now I think he's probably, overall, the worst player on our team getting major minutes.

Sengun - I love him so much and actually I'm probably higher on him now than I was on draft day. And I do think the concerns about his defense are overblown. I think he can be a solid defender, but I don't think he has the tools to be an excellent defender. And it's just become really difficult to win at a high level with a center that isn't either a.) an elite rim protector or b.) a very switchable defender like Claxton, Looney, etc. Hopefully Jokic will prove that wrong soon. That would give me more hope for Sengun - but then Sengun is never going to have Jokic's size either. I like the season the Kings are having, but I am not convinced they'll ever truly contend with Sabonis as one of their two best players. And I'm interested to see if he can even stay on the floor in the playoffs. I'm concerned that Sabonis is the most realistic ceiling for Sengun. He needs to be much better than that if he's going to ever be the guy we're going to build around.

Jabari - the progress he's shown lately actually has me the most high on him. I can't believe I'm saying that. His defense has been improving. He's showing improvement with his ability to put the ball on the floor and drive. And obviously he's been hitting a lot more shots - including that game winner. That said, I'm not sure I ever bought that he had franchise player potential. But I do think he could develop to be an amazing second option and the kind of well rounded player that every contender wants on their roster. I am especially interested in his potential at the 5, but if we're going that route that would obviously limit the long term upside that Sengun could have because I just don't see that kid playing the 4.

So unless one of those guys does pop off and become that franchise guy, we'll have been doing all of this for damned near nothing if we don't pick up a superstar in this draft. That's why I'm not interested in settling for a Jarace Walker this year. I think Walker is perfect if you've already got your #1 and #2, but I'm not at all convinced that we do yet.

And as far as Josh Christopher goes, he would obviously be the GOAT if the league would quit conspiring against him. But I just don't expect that to change. He can't be the franchise player if they won't let him play more than 12 minutes a game.

groovemachine and OremLK like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Scoot might impact winning as much and has superstar potential, I’d draft him at 2. Jarace seems to have a knack for contributing to winning basketball. Defense, ball movement, scoring, whatever role the team needs.

Scoot has Westbrook potential but Jarace’s game is custom built for winning team basketball. I’ll be perfectly content with Jarace from this draft. That said, you still gamble for a superstar top 5, I just low key hope we land Jarace because I love defense.

Imagine a ‘death’ lineup with Jabari, Jarace, and Tari locking down the paint

MystikArkitect and OremLK like this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

@Williamson Does Scoot have more superstar potential than Green in your opinion? I think @OremLK has it right that once Jalen fills out he could be similar to Shai. He was always a 3-4 year project due to how thin he was at 19.

9. MystikArkitect

We don't have a stacked position lol. We have a couple of guys that might turn out to be really good at the 2 and the 4 and then the rest is a crapshoot. Jarace at the 3 and Bari at the 4 with Sengun at the 5. Defensively you can run Tari/Bari/Walker and that would be a switchability dream.

Wemby and Scoot are Plan A and B. But Jarace would make us better on day one. He's the only prospect outside of Wemby that you can say that about. If we don't get a Top 2 pick or don't trade up for one then he should be the target. Might be able to be an engine similar to Draymond as well.

Outside of the top 2, who has superstar potential? Only Amen. And he's an incredible gamble. I wouldn't mind if the Rockets drafted him but he is a *long* term play. Like....super long. And jank shooters are risky. Miller doesn't have superstar upside and after Jarace we have a huge drop-off in talent.

10. Williamson

Maybe. But Shai is a pretty deadly shooter and Jalen can't shoot to save his life. He's just abysmal. I'm really starting to lose confidence that he'll improve in that regard. But I tell myself I need to be more patient because he's so young. We'll see.

11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Right now

1. Victor Wembanyama
    2. Brandon Miller
    3. Scoot Henderson
    4. Taylor Hendricks
    5. Jarace Walker

12. VoR

VoR Member

Off topic, but how do y’all feel about Markquis Nowell as an UDFA?

13. mightybosstone

I'm not sure I'd put him in my top 5, but this weekend was the first time I'd watched Kentucky play all season and Cason Wallace was phenomenal against Kansas State in the loss. I hadn't really followed him enough to know his game, but he was all over the place. Smooth point guard with size who gets to the rim with ease and a tenacious defender. If Houston is unlucky and has to pick in that 5-7 range, he's a guy I'd seriously consider given Houston's point guard need.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. mightybosstone

I'm not sure I'd put him in my top 5, but this weekend was the first time I'd watch Kentucky play all season and Cason Wallace was phenomenal against Kansas State in the loss. I hadn't really followed him enough to know his game, but he was all over the place. Smooth point guard with size who gets to the rim with ease and a tenacious defender. If Houston is unlucky and has to pick in that 5-7 range, he's a guy I'd seriously consider given Houston's point guard need.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Him or Kendrick Davis as developmental long shots. Both are probably too short for NBA, but both are phenomenal passers and good shooters. Davis is a little thicker but older. I think both could carve out careers as back-up PG’s. Both are much quicker, better passers, and better shooters than tyty, but tyty is much, much better on the defensive side and if he can better his outside shooting is probably better long run.

VoR likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That league is on TV every night, not hard to find film on it and decide how good / bad a league it is -

IMO it's a glorified AAU league, I've seen more organization and better execution at LA Fitness ...

Both of these guys are 20 playing against mostly 18 year olds.

These two are being drafted on their potential as athletes .... they are both worse versions of Jalen Green and while Green has improved dramatically, he still has a long way to go.
    More often than not, guys like this bust ... We see 2-3 of them every draft.

Sure, maybe one of them learns to shoot .... maybe.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Interesting opinion on Hendricks. I could see him in the top 10, but fourth overall? Bold.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Of that list, Miller & Dick have nearly identical numbers (within a couple hundredths of a percent), the rest of them are significantly worse statistically.

Is Miller Honorable Mention or best shooter in the class??

I have to give this kid some credit for staying focused & playing well despite his off the court problems. We've seen people crumble under less pressure before.

19. CertifiedTroll

Wemby
    Miller
    Scoot
    Walker
    Trade it

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Are you talking about shooting from three or just overall FG%? When people call a player a deadly shooter they usually mean the former. SGA is a great player, but not a great shooter. He percentages aren't that great even on low volume. He attempts fewer threes than Green makes.

OremLK likes this.