1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Wood's Trade Value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jul 3, 2021.

1. MystikArkitect

Top 10 pick? Top 20? Another good wing? Wonder if the Thunder would entertain a Wood and one of our 20s for the 6th pick.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Thunder would not want Wood for the same reason the Rockets would trade him.

Teams that would want Wood are "win now" teams, not rebuilding teams.

DCHAMP, PhilCollins, amaru and 14 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe the only player who might have more overall potential between 6-10 is Jalen Johnson, and perhaps Scottie Barnes. He's 26 and had a few injuries. This will drop his stock between 15-20. He can still improve, if he works hard on defense. Physical fitness and mental focus are the keys for him to reach his full potential. I don't want to trade him at all.

Highlyrated, groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. No way Rafael deals Wood after the gymnastics required to get him.

mikenm268, Jwise44, Aruba77 and 4 others like this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

Of all the teams Thunder is the last team I think of as a trade partner for Wood

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Only trades I would consider would be #3 and Love for Gordan and Wood. Or Wiseman, #7, #14 re-signed Oubre for Wood and Gordan.

allanivan, Bo6, Grizzlyshark and 5 others like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think 5 - 6 is pure value for CW.

Highlyrated and Aruba77 like this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

don't think Wood has value right now. He's still another solid season away from being a tradeable asset. But then why trade him. If he's pouring 22 ppg on a decent team that's a guy you keep.

Ramo$e, Shark44, BallSoHarden and 8 others like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Warriors have the 7th pick. I hope the Rockets ask about it. The Warriors also have the 14th pick.

Christian Wood is a rare offensive talent.
    He modeled his game after Anthony Davis.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I hope he stays right where he is, and sees Mobley as a brother in arms

Jwise44, ico4498, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He’s a guy that can play 4 or 5 and was a 21/10 guy last year over 25 games, shot 37% from three, and performed well the year before where he shot it at 38% from 3. He’s 6’10/6’11”, and frankly gifted offensively. He’s only 25; we’ve got him for two more years on a value contract. He’s a very valuable commodity, and I think he can be part of a winning foundation. We badly need length, he’s very talented, he’s young enough to be in our rebuilding window. We should probably hold onto him unless we get a chance at a franchise changing draft talent.

So if our scouts were convinced kuminga and barnes were sure fire all stars, then I would consider moving Woods for the 5th or 6th pick. But I wouldn’t move him for any less than that price. I think that’s his value. But I’m content keeping Woods and watch him continue to develop and dominate offensively.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Man, I really hope that's not his perspective. Sunk-cost fallacy

Trackwell, AroundTheWorld and pmac like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agents matter. If C-Wood wants to be here, it would be a terrible look to send him packing. I would be shocked If he was traded this offseason. Our front office sees him as part of the rebuild, for now.

14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

His trade value is probably not as high as we think right now. Maybe he is moved at the deadline if a contender is desperate for front court help and overpays. We need to stay focused on putting forward the best team starting with the 2023/2024 season, and anyone on the roster now should be moved to accomplish that.

allanivan, Bo6, Trackwell and 2 others like this.
  15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I think the injury concern is a big factor that would dampen his value right now. Those ankles are the one reason the Rockets might elect to trade him, but then other teams can read injury reports too, they are not stupid.

The future of his fragile ankles could either be like Grant Hill’s or like Steph Curry’s, and nobody has any idea at this point.

16. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Rockets fans still think were are going to outsmart the top gms in the league when weve been the ones getting our cheeks clapped in every trade for the last 3 years

Dobbizzle and bmelo like this.
  17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He hasn't shown me he's a superstar or anything but he's a really good big that can play the modern game. You very rarely get one of those unless you pick them high in the draft or pay them a ton.

Trackwell and kjayp like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I still like the Charlotte framework, PJ washington + #11 + *lottery protected/highly protected future FRP*

I added the * since the original framework was from the Hornets subreddit, I believe, and only included the #11 pick+ washington. Anyone that trades for him will need to be in competing mode and willingly to pay him. Get the #11 pick and take Alperen Sungun and pair him with Mobley/Green.

I also wouldn't mind seeing how it plays out with the Rockets, I'm just not sure if I want to be the one paying Wood's next contract.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I put CWood as a mid frp...
    I know many are higher on him but i think mid frp is a realistic assessment... not to say someone out there may not pay more - but overall consensus...
    if he were a few years younger i think people would view his upward trajectory and potential as greater - but i think he's somewhat plateaued... imo...
    I still think he's a good piece and hope we keep him...

20. Denovo

Denovo Member

I don’t understand the obsession with trading Wood