1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the "real" reason Muslims don't eat pork?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tree-Mac, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

See my post above. I, like many other Muslims, will not blindly follow letter for letter of what some book wrote. I always try to find the logic behind it.

2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Definitely. The conservative church is very legalistic compared to other Christian religions. I am a lot more liberal than the traditional church and go to quite a liberal church as well... but you're right.

I'd say the two primary differences in lifestyle would be the sanctity of the Sabbath day (on Saturday) to be set aside from the rest of the week (no work + spiritual emphasis) and the dietary beliefs. I follow both of these beliefs, but not to the extent that some do. And I certainly don't view them as a heaven-or-hell thing... which some do.

Then there are the super-conservatives who think drums are evil, avoid caffeine at all costs, and take the Sabbath to another level (no travel, no sports, etc...).

3. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

To back this up, the exact decree in the Quran is against "intoxicants" and at various times there is mention of "khamr" translated to modern day wine (from what I've read). And yes the decree from context seems to discourage it's use due to losing control over one's mental state and the loss of control is looked down upon in Islam because Islam promotes moderation in all things.

In an argument/discussion I've had with others on this subject, I've brought up the point that in the same verse referring to intoxicants (it also refers to gambling, divination) the Quran speaks of a certain spending ratio of necessity vs. leisurely spending:

2:219 THEY WILL ASK thee about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: "In both there is great evil [204] as well as some benefit for man; but the evil which they cause is greater than the benefit which they bring." [205] And they will ask thee as to what they should spend [in God's cause]. Say: "Whatever you can spare." In this way God makes clear unto you His messages, so that you might reflect.

From this (and other various transliterations) I'd understand that you can spend on these things only what is left after you have taken care of all necessities (feed kids, bills, etc) and therefore it's saying don't forget your obligations towards god and his people, and your family and livelihood by blowing all your money gambling.

These verses were revealed a little later (a little background: the Quran was revealed in parts, then reorganized to chapters revealed in Mecca vs. chapters revealed in Medina, so it doesn't follow chronologically if you read it straight through):

5:90 O YOU who have attained to faith! Intoxicants, and games of chance, and idolatrous practices, and the divining of the future are but a loathsome evil of Satan's doing:' [105] shun it, then, so that you might attain to a happy state!

5:91 By means of intoxicants and games of chance Satan seeks only to sow enmity and hatred among you, and to turn you away from the remembrance of God and from prayer. Will you not, then, desist?'

But then it follows with the verse:

5:93 Those who have attained to faith and do righteous deeds incur no sin by partaking of whatever they may, [108] so long as they are conscious of God and [truly] believe and do righteous deeds, and continue to be conscious of God and to believe, and grow ever more [109] conscious of God, and persevere in doing good: for God loves the doers of good.

So this leads me to believe that the necessary requirement is "doing righteous deeds". If you meet the necessary requirement, then you may "partake of whatever". The end goal is "attaining a happy state" and that happy state comes from peace in life which comes from doing good, being good, and leaving the rest up to a higher power. However for some things, they are obviously in direct contrast with doing righteous deeds....for example you can't live a righteous life, then go kill, becuase killing is not righteous.

But yeah, it's an interesting question. Sorry to pull it off topic, I think I probably push this over to D&D with this post.

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

You would have the same problem in Pakistan as well. Although restaurants sell beef, no one ever orders it.

I found this pretty odd the first time I visited, and later learned that it's because most cows are kept around until they're old, in order to essentially milk them for all they're worth (no pun).

So the beef you do see in Pakistani restaurants likely came from an elderly cow, whose meat isn't nearly as good as a calf's.

Do people actually order it?

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The poor people do. Its cheap, and generally looked down at by the middle class...

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Its not easy to find, but its not difficult to find either.

Mutton, chicken and seafood are definitely the more popular choices in India though.

When I was in India a while back, I happen to be in a staunch Hindu part of Bombay. They had all vegetarian McDonalds and this was PACKED! I found it amusing.