1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is the highest pick we could get for jalen in this draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheBeastSystem, May 15, 2024.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I can understand your concern about Jalen, but it is not nearly as absolute as you're making it out. Ignoring his improvement when he got a real coach and is still just 22 is knee jerk in my opinion. Sure trade him and a pick or two for a real difference maker if you can, but I don't think there is anyone available that would be worth the gamble. Booker is the only one I think could realistically be in play (and that is doubtful). Giannis might get disgruntled next year if the Bucks fail again.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What improvement?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jalen humped you too, didn't he? Didn't he?!!!

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Some people want SGA or Haliburton but wouldn't know they have "that guy" if it him them in the face.

If SGA were a Rocket he'd have taken 20 shots per game as a rookie and sophomore on low efficiency with no defense and they would have been ready to ship him out too.

These guys think SGA showed up to the league like this. His first two seasons he was taking half of Jalen's attempts to achieve a barely barely higher TS%. The haters would've traded him asap.

Jalen catching fire end of season seems to have given labor pains to some of the grown men out here.

coachbadlee, Dobbizzle and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Three players and their growth, compared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see steady growth with SGA and Haliburton from season 1 to season 3.

With Jalen, unfortunately, not so much. Slight improvement in rebounding and assists, I guess.

If you want a graph view like @jc denton - here you go.

[​IMG]

Jalen is not in their stratosphere.

theDude, GotGame15, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or maybe you are just a terrible judge of talent. Both SGA and Tyrese Haliburton were better their rookie seasons than Jalen has ever been and those were their worst seasons.

Or maybe you crazy kids are making WAY too much out of a fluke 8 games while desperately trying to ignore the rest of Jalen's entire career.

GotGame15 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think your images failed to post

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I see them. Anyone else?

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Underrated post. All these people don't realise they've created such an insane echo chamber that they're all rabidly pushing for us to be the Clippers in the SGA scenario and trade our future all-star guard to a "win now" team for any random bum who can shoot a 3...makes lots of sense. o_O

Mathloom and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is incredibly stupid.

When we see these 3 players, do we really think that we should be comparing them?

upload_2024-5-18_13-55-35.png

upload_2024-5-18_13-56-19.png

upload_2024-5-18_13-56-47.png

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

"some people" is me, I guess? You disagree with me by saying exactly the same thing I said!

If people knew SGA and Luka would be what they are now, they’d go #1 and #2 in 2018, duh! They went #3 and #11.
    Instead, Ayton and Bagley went #1 and #2, precisely because GMs were thinking physical attributes, and not who’s a baller and he’s not.

"some people" here are saying Jalen would go first in this year’s draft based on agility, and I say, yes, like Ayton went first based on size and athletism. But would you have Ayton or would you have SGA, is my question?

theDude and Bobbythegreat like this.
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm all for any Jalen trades that make sense, but trading someone at Jalen's level for a lottery ticket seems insane to me.

His floor is still an NBA player that gets rotation minutes. You can't say that for any given member of a draft class.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you look at SGA's third season, it's stats very similar to what one would assume Green's stats would have been if the Silas regime continued and vets like FVV weren't added.

23 ppg on a 20-30 win team basically. Green in his second year averaged 22. Good chance if he carried over the exact same role and roster as the season prior with the same coaching staff he'd probably have averaged 22-25 ppg but the team would be in the 20s in wins.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

An analysis based solely on a chucker's ppg in 2024.... wow.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. jogo

jogo Member

I don't see how we can "assume" SGA's stats are "very similar" to what we would see from Green if he didn't have Silas and had FVV. How can we assume this?

Jalen had a full year with Ime and his stats are exactly the same as they were in two years with Silas. Look at them. Actually, his 3pt% worsened as did his ability to draw Fts.

SGA and Jalen aren't close in FG% and shooting. 47.6%, 47.1%, 50.8% do not equal 42.6%, 41.6%, and 42.3%. Every coach and fan would take the first set over the second. 3Pt% is the same (why am I even typing it because you'll just ignore it) 36.7%, 34.7%, 41.8% versus 34.3%, 33.8%, 33.2%. Every single person looks at that first set and says "hey this guy started average and improved big time by third season" and "this second player has regressed. Are they even working on their 3 point shot?" Wait, he had Udoka for the 33.2%. Did Udoka tell him not to practice his 3 point shot?

I know what's going to happen, "let's wait TWO MORE YEARS" with Ime so we can see what Jalen becomes. No, I'm not doing it. Jalen will be 24-25 years old, at his peak and he'll look better. But he will be maxed out by then. And he still won't be a good 3 point shooter.

How many months are the faithful going to hang on to the Jalen will improve dream? By December? The All-Star Break? He needs to go this summer. But if he stays and he's not consistently better by December then a lot of people need to start eating some crow. He is what he is. This idea that he's going to work his a** off this summer on his game while caring for three babies is very out of touch. He didn't work on his game the past few summers. It's going to be harder with all the external issues. We are a better team when we move on from Jalen. I know, we beat a slew of creampuffs at end of the year so he is somehow a better player. No.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you watch games or is fg% your only metric you judge ability, work ethic and improvement on?

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

3rd year shai (injured most of the year): .143 ws/48, 4.1 BPM, 1.8 VORP in 1180 minutes, TS was 9% above league average
    3rd year Jalen (played all 82): 0.056 ws/48, -0.5 BPM, 1.0 VORP in 2601 minutes, and a TS 7% BELOW league average

Jalen had a better team around him as well

AroundTheWorld and Bobbythegreat like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Coming from the guy that just tried to compare players based on PPG alone.....

Funny enough, I think Jalen's barely noticeable improvement in 3 years on the Rockets is a pretty solid way to determine the "legendary work ethic" that you were selling years ago was a lie.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I still think there's some hope thought for jalen. KPJ went from completely unplayable 15th man to a reasonable 8th man type in his 4th year, and Jalen is well ahead of where kpj was his 1st 3 years. Lets hope he also has a 4th year leap

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think given the fact that the Rockets have already tried and failed to find a trade partner to take Jalen, it means we'll be stuck with him one more year, so we might as well hope that he finally learns how to play basketball in his 4th year in the NBA....but there's absolutely no reason to think it'll actually happen.

If the miracle happens, awesome, when it doesn't....well, we've known for a while he was a bust.