1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Is The Endgame???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jan 11, 2022.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think you and everyone else has different opinions of stages of building a team. Rebuilding usually consisting of starting over from scratch. Once you have a superstar you beginning to build a deep playoffs team by tweaking the pieces around them or pair them with another star. That is no longer "rebuilding" in my opinion.

Adding Dwight, CP3, WB, Gordon, Ariza etc, is Morey tweaking the roster around Harden to be a contender. I feel like that's a very different thought process than a typical rebuilding team. The Mavs will need to find a way to do similar thing for Luka in the next couple of years before he bails.

I don't really know why you keep harping about losing in the first round with zero context, Harden and Dwight together had 1 playoffs where they didn't lose in the first round.

All that aside, I don't think we will be a playoff team by 2024 because it's hard to draft even in the lottery. However, one good pick or one free agent signing can swing your entire franchise around, so it's not impossible.

I think people are too caught up with time, in 10 years time you could draft a bunch of Thabeet and Dragan Benders and still suck, or we can draft the second coming of Steph Curry this draft and start building role players around him to make deep playoff runs.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6 Stones and a Gauntlet.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yeah once you get a star and you are competitive you are no longer rebuilding. The next thing is to try to become a contender. This board doesnt know what tanking is so im not suprised that they dont understand what rebuilding is.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm delusional but we can always sneak in via the play-in or some teams having a down year? How does that make any sense? You are saying it's possible.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Because Green or Sengun could look good players by the end of next year. Because we could draft someone this year that looks like a star. Because Houston is a popular city amongst NBA players. Because we have a bunch of picks that we could trade for a good young player over the next 2 years. The Rockets aren't in a terrible situation as of now.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Rebuilding is what it says rebuilding so you are building towards what you once had or better.

The Mavericks have been rebuilding towarda a championship team and they have yet to win the 2nd round in over 10 years.

So my point is still valid the Mavericks have not rebuilt ****, they are a team still looking at 1 and done in the playoffs when they used to be actual contenders.

When Luka goes to the WCF get at me until then they are mediocre since he joined.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What are you rebuilding?

Just because you built house does not mean you rebuilt the Mansion that was once there.

If you go from contender to 1st round fodder, you have not rebuilt anything.

Just adding a star means nothing just look at Portland or NOP.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

so basically going back to a bunch of wishful thinking and best case scenarios. Aka delusional. Reality doesn't work that way in professional sports and full rebuilding

There's a ton of popular cities in the NBA. Houston isn't the only one. Houston is popular because of alot of stuff off the court. It still isn't considered some huge FA destination like you make it sound especially considering the situation the rockets are in now

A whole lot of could of, what if's, imaginary thinking isn't making the playoffs in a span of 2 years

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Last 5 teams with worst records

1. Bucks 13-14 Playoffs in 14-15
    2. Minn 14-15 Playoffs in 17-18
    3. Phi 15-16 Playoffs in 17-18
    4. BK in 16-17 - Playoffs in 18-19
    5. PHX in 17-18 Playoffs in 20-21
    6. NY in 18-19 Playoffs in 20-21
    7. Warriors in 19-20 but we will say Cavs since they were second Warriors will make it and Cavs are battling

Literally EVERY SINGLE ONE of the last 7 teams to finish dead last has made the playoffs within the next 3 years.

xaos and withmustard like this.
  10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Did you know that if the Warriors make the playoffs this year it will mean that the 7 teams that finished dead last made the playoffs in the next 3 years. The Cavs were second that year and they might make it too. 7 straight even if you sub out the special case Warriors for the Cavs. There is absolutely zero delusion to the idea that the Rockets could go from last to playoffs. It happened for all 7 teams before the Rockets last year.

#170 gmoney411, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    sydmill likes this.
  11. sydmill

sydmill Member

Cool.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

and context matters which you don't account for.

lets do a tipjar bet then? this is such easy money because it's that delusional

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Why would I make a tipjar bet about something that I don't think is likely? I've repeatedly said I don't think it's likely. But you are throwing out words like delusional. It's absolutely not delusional to think the Rockets can make the playoffs in 23-24.

withmustard likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you don't think it's likely, stop trying to tell folks it's probably going to happen. Cause it isn't and yeah it is delusional

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I never said it's probably going to happen. You are just making things up now.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

you've literally been posting all day about how being a playoff team is likely

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Not trying to argue about arguing here, maybe I misunderstood something. I thought you said that they wouldn't win 30 games in the next five years, so I thought I had 5 chances to hit once. I think the Rockets will be a bottom 3 team in 22-23, close to 30 wins in 23-24 and will be a .500 team by 24-25.

How about this, we'll do the bet for the 24-25 season, but if the Rockets don't land in the top 4 of the lottery in 22, then the bet is for 25-26 If they get 35 wins any season before that, you don't lose the bet, but I get to LOL you. Deal?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? yeah they won't win more than 30 games in any of the seasons in the next 5 years. I'm not sure where the confusion is. i think that's pretty straight forward

It's a simple bet. the win total is 35 wins. Pick a season where you think they'll go over. that's what you were claiming. It doesn't matter to me because they won't hit that mark in any of them.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's a reading comprehension fail on your part. Neither of those quotes says it's likely.