1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Is The Endgame???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jan 11, 2022.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Rebuilding=starting over. Letting go of your veteran stars and bottoming out. The dates I gave are when those teams did that. It's what the Rockets are doing right now. That's the comparison to be made.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You can't pick and choose when you want to start a timeline, everything has to be used in the proper context and none of those teams has done squat except the Suns, and even you admit they took longer than 3 years.

Once again are you happy with just making the playoffs is that you what you are building towards?

What point are you trying to make?

We should be rebuilding like those teams?

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

I learned long ago that a paragraph on a message board is not powerful enough change firmly held beliefs. I think a team where a Zach Lavine (Jalen Green, eventually), Domantas Sabonis (Sengun, eventually) and a guy like Carmelo Anthony (how you ahve described Banchero elsewhere) are your second, third and fourth options to a max free agent is in a pretty decent spot to contend, Again, reasonable minds can differ but could that team not be a contender with the right coach left alone to reach its potential?

CriscoKidd likes this.
  4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Of course you pick and choose. You find a scenario like the Rockets and compare the two if you trying to figure out how realistic a scenario is in that NBA. Comparing the Rockets current situation to the Cavs with LeBron, Memphis with Gasol/Conley, and Charlotte with Kemba makes no sense. We have no all star players or former all star veterans leading our team.

The point I'm trying to make is that it is very realistic for the Rockets to be a playoff team by 2024. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Nothing more.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No those teams did not do that on those dates, you are picking and choosing and ignoring how long those teams were bad.

Those teams were rebuilding for far longer just because they made the playoffs every once in a while does not reset the clock and some of those teams are still rebuilding and have not done anything yet.

The comparison with those teams is fighting to make the 8th most years and being stuck in mediocre cycle, the only team that has actually done something is the team you admit has been **** for a long time.

The goal is to rebuild to be contenders, not to hope to have a chance to make the playoffs every other year with a below 500 record.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

a playoff team in 2024 isn't realistic at all. It's delusional

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

None of those guys has reached contending status and if those 3 guys were on the same team they would not be a contender this year in their primes.

Yes you can have your own opinion I just don't think this is a reasonable opinion.

8. monster

monster Member

long way to go. we're still early in the rebuild process....accumulating potential talent and seeing who sticks and who flames out. this will continue through next season (or two). eventually we'll work free agency harder for known commodities, as opposed to taking flyers like we are now. to cap it off, we may target 1-2 big names and go all-in for the rings. patience will be one of the more challenging parts of this process.

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It's unlikely and realistic are two different things. We've seen too many teams go from dead last to playoffs in recent history to say it's delusional.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

its both unlikely and unrealistic. it's that simple

whether someone wants to be delusional or not is on them. But at the end of the day it's not happening in just a span of 2 years

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It's a span of 3 years not 2. It will be 3 years of the Rockets finishing at the bottom and getting high picks that they hopefully hit on. Throw in that the team is historically a FA destination and making a playoff team isn't some crazy delusional goal. It's just not likely.

withmustard likes this.
  12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

No, you misunderstood. 2022-2023 would be suicide for me with JW sitting on the bench still. I suggested for ANY season before 2025-2026, not EACH, because I thought you said the Rockets wouldn't win 30 games within the next 5 years. I thought I was being generous by adding 5 wins. I think this bet may favor me a little too much, so I'm cool if we get creative on a restructure. I'm working now, so I will get back to this later, but I really think there is a good chance we hit that goal by 24-25, just figured i would take advantage of your timeline.

For the record, no hard feelings about our back and forth. Phoenix is probably the exception, not the standard. I just used them as my example because they are very recent, being the WC Champs. I'm glad our friendly wager was able to settle this.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

3 years still doesn't matter. it's not happening.

This team is not a FA destination. This team doesn't even know who is gonna be here in the next 2-3 years, so why in the world would some big FA want to come play with some unknown

#153 YOLO, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And you keep ignoring everything else I posted and continue to drill down on being a playoff as if that means anything.

Since when has this team been historically a FA destination, we have gotten 1 big name FA in the last 20 years.

You really are delusional.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Your post said or any season before (which would include 22-23 btw). The rockets aren't winning 35 games in any season before 2025-2026. and they won't be winning 35 games that year either. I would say yes to any year getting to that point.

This bet doesn't favor you at all lol. the 25-26 season is a mere 4 seasons away. You're putting yourself at bad odds. Vegas definitely isn't setting the rockets over under at 35. They're still in the 25 range. I still stand by what I said.

Definitely no hard feelings here. no worries about that. you can pick whatever year you want. Let me know. I love tipjar bets

#155 YOLO, Jan 12, 2022
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Just because a few people complained about a coach which given how big fan bases are is bound to happen with every coach does not mean that you can jump to the logical fail that coaching doesnt matter but 5%. Its ridiculous. CP3 wouldnt even be in Phoenix if it werent for Monty. Steve Nash a first time coach can barely make one of the most talented teams in history work because he doesnt know what he's doing and you can only do so much iso even if you have great players you need a coach to bring it together. Lets make no mistake some players are so good that they will be good no matter who coaches them however the rest of the team wont be. We dont have a Luka or Lebron who are superstars right away regardless. We have young players that can be stars but they actually need development. You make decisions base on your circumstance. Darius Garland comes to mind where under a different coach people were saying he's a bust and all of a sudden looks like an allstar with a different coach and with Sexton who is an inefficient player out of the lineup. Which is exactly what people are asking for here. KPJ out of the starting lineup and a different coach. "Coaching doesnt matter" Well it damn sure has mattered to the Cavs and sped up their rebuild a bit.

#156 Joe Rocket, Jan 12, 2022
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Name the teams that went from dead last to playoffs in recent history.

Too many?

Really?

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's also not going to be an overnight success. Probably even looking at a 3-5 year window before we become a legit team.

So annoying how some people trash Harden and Morey for not winning a title, and in the same breath, expect the same level of competitiveness / relevancy when neither are associated with the team.

OP is looking for a quick fix when in reality, it's going to be a long process.

YOLO likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Who, as you know, is one of the best point guards in league history. Their big stroke of luck was that he had transformed how he took care of his body and stayed healthy. I don't buy it necessarily taking a decade, either. In fact, there's no reason carved into stone (well, maybe Stone) that it should, but it can't be ruled out as a possibility.

We have a new GM, who has made some good moves, as well as a one or two of questionable ones. We have a 1st time head coach who has entered his 2nd year this season. Silas has made some confusing decisions, to put it mildly, regarding rotations, minutes, handling players who have disrupted team culture. Stuff like that. Yet we have had some good stretches of largely good play resulting in wins. We've also had some injuries. That shouldn't be ignored, in my opinion, but the guy has had me frustrated and more than a little confused by some of what he's done up until now.

For me, it's a bit difficult to judge them without thinking about who our owner is. Our owner is a guy with a really big ego who is quite capable of telling both to do what he wants them to do, which could very well not be in the best interests of the team. In my opinion. Yes, something to think about.

The end game should always be winning a championship. That ain't easy.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yea u r delusional. Historically FA destination, funny.

We still have to get rid of wall and wood. Assuming we even draft competently, do we have the right coach? Soo many stuff to figured out, but hey we can always sneak in playoffs via playin or some teams having a down year.