1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the deal with Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Dec 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

Even though K.T. has been away from the court for a while he looked like total crap, last night. Does he not know what his roll is?:confused:
    He couldn't drive, shoot, or defend, last night. And heaven forbid he try and do something revolutionary (PASS THE ROCK)!!!!
    I don't see him fitting in well in our future plans... EG, Mo, and a legit 5 = K.T. moving back to the bench. If he is cool with that then keep him... but if not, "see ya"! Let me know what ya'll think!!

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Welcome to the best board in the sports. Be careful and look out for JEFF!:)

You are being unfair to KT. It is true that there are things that he should be doing better but he has been a major contributor this season and we can fully expect that to continue. As far as MoT is concerned let us just wait to see how things are when he returns. It will be a competition and I expect KT to make it hard on Taylor. In fact, Taylor would have to improve his defense and rebounding before he will be able to take back the starting job. In addition, it may be that the chemistry with KT and EG is so good that it may make more sense for Mo T come off the bench.

3. drpepper

drpepper Member

I'm sorry, but I don't see that happening. I think K-9 is gonna have a hard time when Mo comes back.

4. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

KT seemed to be unhappy and it may be becuase he did not start. Every time he gets starting minutes due to injury and then gets them taken back he seems to pout. I don't blame him because he does play well as a starter.

KT's future depends on EG. If Griffin plays sf then Kenny is the back up pf when Taylor comes back. If EG is a pf then KT will be traded.

If I were KT I would want to play starting minutes to inprove my value on my next contract; he is underpayed.

I did notice he did not want to pass and fouled alot.

5. EGRULES

EGRULES Member

dont be surprised if next year k-9 will be leaner and faster and our starting 3. in my opinion, mo-thas 2 watch out 4 EG not KT!

6. TheGreatest

TheGreatest Member

IMHO Kenny Thomas is ten times the player Mo Taylor is. While Kenny doesn't have a sweet shot, the man can REBOUND, something Mo Taylor could never do. Eventually, I see a KT and Griffin frontcourt.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

"What's the deal with airline peanuts?" :)

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

By the way, does anyone else see the irony in DearRock saying Aggie 99 is being unfair to KT? ;)

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

jeff... very ironic isn't it :)

11. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Kenny does have a sweet shot. His mid range is the same or better than Mo's and he has a three point shot which Mo doesn't.

I dont think we should make major plans for Kenny to play the 3. His footwork and postgame are so good that I would rather play him at the four. However, it would be good to use him as a three for short spurts.

12. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

See!!!!!!!!!!

I was just crapping on him so that he would play better last night!!! I know he reads this board..... I'm sure he values all our oppinions:rolleyes:

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is simply not true. Mo's mid range shot is clearly better than KT's. As much as everyone complains about Mo being soft, and Kenny being the true post up threat, Mo still has a higher FG% than Kenny does, even though Mo shoots from farther out.

As for this 3 point argument:
    2001-2002
    Kenny Thomas on 3 point attempts: ZERO FOR NINE

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is this a joke. I cant remember a post up play run by KT, much less anyone on this team, all year long. POsting up "somewhat" close to the basket, catching the entry pass even farther out - we're talking about close to the 3 point line now - then turning around and driving is not a post up play. It is a swingman play. IT is also ALL Kenny Thomas knows how to do. Is he good at it? YES. But it gives us NO post up presence, whereas Taylor can actually post-up (allowing for more LANES to open, cutting, open threes, etc), and only further highlights, in my opinion, KT's inability to pass.

He does, however, have good footwork, and is undoubtedly a better rebounder than Taylor, but who cares. With a healthy Francis and EG getting more minutes I dont think rebounding will be a problem.

15. Timing

Timing Member

Are you talking about Kenny or Mo? :rolleyes:

16. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Danny Ainge said if Kenny developed his outside shot, he would be dangerous. I agree with this 100%. That's his achilles heel. He needs more tricks in his arsenal than trying to beat his man off the dribble. I almost forgot to include the pull up jumper and midrange jumper. If he could put those in his bag of tricks,
    Taylor would become instant trade bait.

17. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

JayZ750, the main reason Kenny was picked by the Rockets was because of his footwork. CD and Rudy saw that in him from the start. I'll admit that he hasn't shown is post up abilities too much this season but in seasons past he always had great spin moves and great post moves.

18. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

Kenny's great footwork and speed is only effective against 4s His power is his advantage against 3s. He get his shot blocked alot by taller 4s when post them. He is effective in power plays against sfs. He is good but I still wonder if he is a lajit starter.(check my spelling). I like the line up of Cato, Taylor, Griffin better than Cato, Grifin, Thomas. I would just hate to give him up for something less valuble. He wants to start and doesn't play as well if he doesn't. So maybe we should start him to showcase his skills and then make a move to be in place for next year.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Did we watch the same game? I thought i saw Thomas attacking the basket for layups and fingerolls. I thought him have 13rebs also. I thought i seen him have 20pts on 12 shots and someone dare open their mouth about Taylor. I've never really been a big thomas fan from the time they drafted him. I didn't like him shooting 3's last yr and he realized that wasn't his strong suit, but the guy plays hard and is effective. Taylor I guess to some is the second coming of Moses Malone or someone. Thomas is playing better than Taylor did last yr no matter if his jumpshot isn't as good. He's getting to the ft line which is key and he's scoring when having the chance. All these taylor supporters need to go back and watch tapes of the lazy guy from last yr!

These Taylor is better than Thomas threads are sick. We're competing more now at the 4 spot than we ever did last yr, plain and simple. Everytime our ofense struggles someone wants to say we don't have Taylor's "sweet" shot with us. Thats about a bunch of bull. Our offense struggles when the guys don't share the ball and dribble the spaulding off it, not because of what Thomas does. 1 more dbl-dbl and he will equal Taylor's entire output from last yr. I can almost bet you that last yr if they ranked power forwards in the west, Taylor would have been dead last last yr as far as point and rebs. Dead Last! Yet he is so vital to our success. Please, stop the madness.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I went about 1/3 of the home games last year, and Taylor was noticeably the hardest working guy on the court (when watching the game live) at nearly every one.

I dont think Taylor is the second coming, and Id like him to improve a lot of things. However, I like him better than KT. Thomas is a good player, easily a starter on half the teams in the league. The problem is he is a tweener - he's too small to play the four, but not quite quick enough to play the 3. His skills make him useful as a tweener, and you certainly dont need defined roles to win, but you do need some kind of post-up presence from either your 4 or 5 man. Mo Taylor provided that - I cant remember seeing Thomas post up all year.

Also, I just get the feeling that his good stats dont translate into helping the team that much. He works hard, hustles, gets good boards, etc, but for some reason, whenever I see him get the ball on offense I cringe, and I used to really like him. I guess I would just be happier if he learned to pass more - he doesnt have to do it all the time but to not pass to someone obviously wide open under the basket on multiple occasions is just bad basketball.

If we had a decent center all of this would probably be mute. Put KT in as the PF on the Lakers, for example, and I dont think any Laker fan would be dissapointed. He is a good player, but in my mind if we are going to improve at all via trade, he would be our most tradeable commodity to package with some scrubs (say package him with Cato to get rid of Cato's contract) - and if an equitable deal was on the table I wouldnt be sad to see him go.