1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the big deal about avocado toast??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nigel Thornberry, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Nigel Thornberry

[​IMG]
    Last week my wife came home from work with groceries and bought a few avocados. She was all excited to tell me we were eating something new for dinner.

This “special” dinner was avocado toast. Now I’m not saying it wasn’t good but it was extremely odd. Apparently this is some fad that women are obsessing over. Am I the only person out there that finds it weird? It’s just avocado on toast with whatever recipe you want to add.

I’m interested to hear what y’all think about this.

conquistador#11 and Sajan like this.
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Apparently this Avocado Toast is the new litmus test to prove if you're a millennial or not.

You seem to have failed.

3. Nigel Thornberry

Lol I heard that and saw the meme.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

at least it's something to eat. every year i end up having to go out for 40-50 meals at 'negative space' restaurants where the dishes are mostly empty w/ small morsels of food and dots of sauce or some type of foam on top

Jontro and don grahamleone like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Avocados are delicious. I don't know what avocado toast is, unless it's really self-evident, but bagel with lox, cream cheese, red onion and avocado is proper brunch fare. I practically lived off of them and mangoes and fish and black beans (and rum) for ~3 months in Central America.

Bad season in Mexico and Cali, my lady friend bought 2 at HEB yesterday for about $2 each. Shipped in from Peru.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

in my experience the peruvian ones aren't bad at all. but south africa and israel produce the best

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I like mine picked off the tree outside the front door.

Next time I'm at Central Mkt or Whole Foods I'll look for those origins. When is their growing season over there?

Nigel Thornberry likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's served at my health club (which Hugh Grant also frequents). Not bad, actually.

9. Nigel Thornberry

It’s some weird fad that women go crazy over

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the SA ones we usually get in the autumn here in europe. i think they are a different sort (fuerte) from what's mostly sold in the states (hass) and this is why they taste better (to me at least).

the israeli ones seem to come sporadically and i think they're also hass, but probably just bred/grown/ripened better than most

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I paid 20 USD for avocado toast in Brooklyn a few weeks ago.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

almost everybody that brings up their avocado toast is a ****ing tool

Nook likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We were talking about avocados at work a couple of weeks ago (because someone actually managed to start growing an avocado tree as a bit of a joke in a stairwell window a couple of years ago.). I had no idea there were so many varieties of avocado. I found this link where it says the "Bacon" avocado has mediocre taste. Nothing named "Bacon" should have mediocre taste. The link shows harvest times of the year, too.

http://www.viverosbrokaw.com/aguacate_variedades_en.html

14. Buck Turgidson

There are at least 2 things wrong with that sentence.

15. Buck Turgidson

Didn't realize you were in Europe. Chile and Argentina have proper ones for us in this hemisphere.

I can't remember either what the large hard green ones are called. Hass (haas?) is what we do.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so this link actually doesn't show the most interesting variety https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choquette_(avocado)

those sound like maracas when you shake them b/c the skin is like a detached exoskeleton. and the flesh inside is much thinner, it's like eating whipped guacamole :D

17. Nigel Thornberry

That’s harsh

18. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I love avocados, but this isn't some some brand new dish. It's toast with avocados. Add a poached egg, tomatoes, cream cheese, arugula, bacon, cucumber, etc... Nobody reinvented the wheel but a bunch of 19 yr olds act like they did.

Nook likes this.
  19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It's Got Electrolytes

20. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member