1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What is the best religion?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Apr 3, 2009.

Tags:
?

pick one

1. christian

53 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. islam

31 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. jewishism

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. hindhuism

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. buddhism

51 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Greek Gods are awesome! :p

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

show a self-mocking muslim video and i'll gladly change my mind.

3. basso

Supporting Member

you forgot Druid.

4. LScolaDominates

The evidence I'm aware of establishes a link on the national/state level (i.e. religious nations have lower suicide rates), but not on an individual level (i.e. atheists are more likely to commit suicide). Do you have a specific cite that supports the latter?

I did read your post and found it interesting, particularly in that it contradicts some other sources I've looked at. Because of that discrepancy, I feel the need to look deeper into the question so as not to jump to any erroneous conclusions.

5. LScolaDominates

I wasn't calling all Muslims ignorant, as I already stated in a previous post.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I put them under the pagan umbrella.

DD

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

the best religion would be no religion. it's an excuse to draw borders and distinctions that don't need to be there. love and compassion exist in all religions but also outside them. isn't this the only real point?

8. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Theosophy and Rosicrucianism with a splash of Gnosticism ;)

9. HueyNewton

HueyNewton Member

All religions need to be wiped out
    what divides us is an illusion
    made up by men and their confusion

They all suck especially christianity. Its a theatrical disaster. People with religion think that they are gods themselves, to be that certain about your existence , you must be god.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here's the first result in google:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_suicide

I'd really rather you search for it if it's something so simple as none of us are incapable of using google.

Regardless of that... Religious nations are defined as per the individuals currently in that country. Not the government or the president or the founders. Again, please check wiki for a lead on many reliable sources for this.

Statistically, what you are asking for is the same thing. An increase in atheists is an increase in suicide rates. You can safely say "the more atheists there are in a country, the more people will commit suicide in this country." The correlation is so strong such that there is really no need to go into that level of detail unless it is to shift the topic of conversation to "can you find THIS though?"

The only other thing you can possibly derive is that an increase in atheists causes OTHER people to commit more suicide - which really isn't better lol.

Are you saying that you can't derive anything from the fact that irreligiosity and suicide are correlated so strongly in virtually all countries?

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

How about none?

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is a good option.

14. basso

Supporting Member

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I put all the religions above under the umbrella of Bokononism

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I guess after he delivered that hard foul against Karl Malone in the playoffs, he developed a bit of a cult following.

1 person likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Who wouldn't want to play WoW all day with Yao as a path to enlightenment?

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

what do you guys think of osteen doing the yankee stadium thing. is he a heretic?

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Correlation does not equal causality.

So as to smash your links, one could easily say that countries with more atheists and more suicides are countries with more trauma/stress, perhaps from excessive competition or traumatic events such as war. People who are forced to witness terrible things day in and day out become jaded and cynical and thus less religious and more prone to suicide.

And that's just one hypothetical situation. Suffice it to say that suicide is also a very skewed case study, since EVERY religion correlates suicide with massive damnation. That may or may not be a good thing; fact is though, it is once again the lowest common denominator and the lowest rung on Piaget's moral reasoning scale (punishment as disincentive to pursue negative behavior).

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I bet there are people who voted Buddhism mistakenly took Lamaism as the mainstream Buddhism.