1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What is the best religion?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Apr 3, 2009.

Tags:
?

pick one

1. christian

53 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. islam

31 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. jewishism

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. hindhuism

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. buddhism

51 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The one with the best sacrament.

[​IMG]

2. LScolaDominates

I still intend on replying in that thread. It is a subject I know very little about, and I want to take the time to research it properly. I hope you can understand that and be a little more patient with me.

As for this thread, I think you misunderstood my reply (understandable, as it wasn't worded very well). I meant that AAA's post was ignorant and racist, not that all Muslims are. There is no such thing as a Jewish conspiracy to destroy Islam's image through control of the "media".

3. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

All religions are stupid, but humans are stupid enough to fall for them.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They're stupid to fall for culture, values, tradition, moral idealism, a political and legal framework?

5. stonegate_archer

You credit religion too much. It is not the reason for any of that. Instead, it is the reason for a lot of violence and stupidity.

I don't need no dude to sacrifice himself to save me from sins, or anything. If someone believes that they should keep it to themselves and their kind and don't broadcast it, it is offensive, and total bs.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Trace back Western literature, paintings, and buildings and a bulk of it is inspired by Judeo-Christian traditions and the Bible.

If you live in the US or Europe, the world you live and breathe in is religious base even if you don't like it or don't want to believe.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree.

"Imagine no religion"
    John Lennon

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

And the Bible was plagiarized from other religions long, LONG before it.

People are not content to not have an answer.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Most religions are pretty dumb, but they do serve a purpose. They give hope to people that might not have any. If there was no hope or fear of god you could have mass anarchy. Most people in the world are dirt poor and you have to give them something to believe in otherwise they will be relegated to the fact there is no future for them.

10. stonegate_archer

Actually I take my word back, religions are not stupid, they are mass delusions. It is part of what humans do, and probably unavoidable.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sure, the world they lived in had the religious and cultural traditions of their ancestors before them. Some teachings were based off the old. Others were used as reference to convince new believers. That doesn't rob anything of the worldview we now live in set by Judeo-Christian roots...law, culture, universally defined values....

Evolution and all that.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Or you could have mass peace....

"My God has a bigger dick than your God" RIP George Carlin...

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think you're conflating religion with zealotry. Violence and "stupidity" only happens as a result of religion; people wouldn't commit these acts otherwise? You really don't think people draw on their religious beliefs to prevent violence, to promote compassion? Are you thinking at all about Gandhi, or the Abolitionist or Civil Rights movements? Or quasi-atheist states, like early Soviet Union or PRC?

It's a near perfect metaphor about self-sacrifice, government corruption, human rights and personal excellence that needn't be tied to a religious dogma.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Copied from a random article:

"Concerning suicide rates, this is the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations. According to the 2003 World Health Organization's report on international male suicides rates (which compared 100 countries), of the top ten nations with the highest male suicide rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly irreligious nations with high levels of atheism. It is interesting to note, however, that of the top remaining nine nations leading the world in male suicide rates, all are former Soviet/Communist nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine, and Latvia. Of the bottom ten nations with the lowest male suicide rates, all are highly religious nations with statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism. "

Can you imagine, suicide is higher among atheists than MUSLIMS???? WITH ALL THE BOMB STRAPPING GOING ON?

Puzzling, isn't it?

15. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

Buddism for me, because it seems to be the most peaceful religion in history. Numerous "holy wars" were fought under the name of god, but I don't know any related to buddism.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'd like to hope a desire for a civil society is reason enough for most rational people to not go ape-****, religion or not. Perhaps they subconsciously accept religion as a vehicle for social order because psychology, sociology and philosophy are too thinky for the weekend, er, I mean "Sabbath."

17. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

Surprised scientology isnt on there. Because I would have loved to vote it for it as a joke

18. LScolaDominates

Your quote doesn't say this.

19. stonegate_archer

I am sure some people do put their religious belief to good use, but I don't think people have to have the beliefs to do good. The most peaceful and compassionate countries are secular ones like Sweden, Finland, New Zealand......

On the other hand you need to be religious to believe that there are 72 virgins waiting for you in heaven, and wrap yourself with bombs and flying into skyscrapers.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Stalin and Mao.