1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the best/free Antivirus I can install on my new laptop?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Dec 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Swishh

Swishh Member

I got a new Asus laptop, and I'm not sure if it came with any sort of antivirus or not.

What is the best and free antivirus I can install on my laptop? Preferably one without a bunch of annoying pop-ups.

2. jank1434

jank1434 Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is decent. I had it on my laptop and it didn't cause me any problems.

3. Jamers

Jamers Member

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Using Avast atm. Comparable to Avira but a bit more user friendly.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

:confused: Don't know why you need an antivirus program. If you're just willy nilly opening up documents or sites from untrusted sources, might as well not even have a PC or just stay away from the interwebs.

STOP DOWNLOADING P0RN.

Anyway, jank above stole my answer rightfully so. :eek:

6. dragician

dragician Member

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

Nah, I don't go on p*rn, nor do I download much. Just being cautious, that's all. I'll use your guys' suggestion, thanks.

On a off topic note, any idea why my laptop randomly gets dim every 10 minutes or so? And the fact that my laptop scree is see through- its like a damn mirror and makes watching netflix a pain in the ass sometimes.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Microsoft Security Essentials sucks. If you really believe in anti-virus software, I'm not sure why you would only be looking at free versions, but if free is what you want, then use something like Avira or Avast. AVG isn't all that good, either, btw.

9. Duncan McDonuts

You can get a lot of antivirus software for free after rebate. I use Bitdefender. One of the best rated ones. I bought a few keys for cheap a long time ago. PM if you'd want one and actually use it.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Edit: Avast is still very good, but apparently AVG has fallen off somewhat. I've only used Avast the past 4 or so years used AVG prior to that.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

BitDefender is pretty good.

12. aeroman10

aeroman10 Member

Been using this on all my computers.
    Have this installed on my parents and grandparents PC's as well.
    Never had a virus issue. So MS Security Essentials is A-OK

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

WTF? :confused: See-through? What model is it?

Anyway, check your power settings. :eek: Change your "screen brightness" setting at either NEVER or WHEN PLUGGED IN.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Avira is the one I usually recommend to people who ask me this question. User friendly, best performance (doesn't slow your system down badly like some others do) and effective.

I like some others in this thread hate antiviruses anyway and believe you can stay virus free by just browsing smart (use Chrome, stay away from p*rn, don't click ads, don't download software from myriad download sites, etc). But I do realize for most users it's best to just have an antivirus there in case they slip up.

15. Swishh

Swishh Member

yeah, weird eh? its not completely see through - it depends on the screen background. For example, clutchfans has a white background, and the screen is fine. but when i watch netflix, and the background is black, i can see a reflection of myself, and its really annoying.

this is the one i have : http://www.amazon.com/Vivobook-S500...n-Aluminum/dp/B00F0RD2H6/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

16. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

And why does Security Essentials suck? It is free, and included with Windows 8 so you don't even have to install anything. For the vast majority of people it gets the job done.

IMHO, if you're smart - getting a virus is damn near impossible. I haven't had a virus in over a decade, since the days of warez sites. Hell, I've even taught my mother how not to get viruses by simply training her not to click links from her email and to never click a popup.

Either way, I store all of my important files in SkyDrive so if I did get a virus simply run system restore and call it a day.

17. Swishh

Swishh Member

I don't have Security Essentials and my laptop came with windows 8..

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender built-in which is basically the same thing as Microsoft Security Essentials.

19. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

20. itony

itony Member

malwarebytes and MSE