1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Parsons' trade value in 2014 draft pick(s)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 30, 2014.

?

What is Parsons' trade value in 2014 draft pick(s)?

1. #5, #6, or #7

22 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. #8, #9, #10

64 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. #11, #12, #13, #14

41 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. #15 to #20

21 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. #21 to #24

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. #26 to #30

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. Multiple non-lottery picks in the teens

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Multiple non-lottery picks in the 20's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. High second rounder

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. Low second rounder

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. basketballholic

That is probably somewhat true. However this is a deep draft. So the numbers are undoubtedly going to be higher for this particular class. And if a lottery team is evaluating whether to draft Gordon, Vonleigh, etc. or trade the pick for Parsons.........they are going to overwhelmingly favor drafting the youngster because they can control him for 4 years and they most likely aren't going to be contending for a championship next season and there's a greater than 50% chance they won't even be in the playoffs next season. So they have no incentive to trade for Parsons given that set of circumstances.

The Jazz are sitting at #5. They have Gordon Hayward going into restricted free agency. He may be their best player. They're going to match his offer sheet or negotiate a long-term deal and be done with it. Their needs are to get their backcourt settled and to get their frontcourt settled. SF is probably the position they are set at best. And besides......Utah is not a free agent destination. Guys simply don't sign long-term deals to come to Utah. But they do leave Utah when they get the chance. It all adds up to no interest in Parsons for #5.

#6 is the Celtics. They're trying to trade for Kevin Love themselves. They're not going to trade #6 for Parsons in the next 4 weeks or on the night of the draft. Because that would essentially be Minny's pick if they can trade for Love and Minny would much rather have the pick than rent Parsons for a season and watch him walk.

#7 is the Lakers. Same thing. They're trying to trade for Love. Or possibly Kyrie Irving. They're not going to trade that pick for Parsons in the next 4 weeks.

#8 is Sacramento. Rinse and repeat. Willing to trade for Love and give up the pick. Already have a $19 million player at the SF position. They're not going to take Parsons for #8 over the next 4 weeks.

#9 is Charlotte. They've got a former #2 pick (MKG) going into his 3rd season, whom they invested in heavily and are investing in heavily to play the 3 spot for them. They're not going to blow #9 on Parsons and then worry about him walking on them.

#10 is Philly. They will most likely have drafted Wiggins or Parker at #3 and won't be looking for a SF. We could probably tempt Hinkie with Parsons for #10. But ultiimately I don't think he'd do it. Too much risk and Philly needs too much stuff. Besides they can go after Parsons in unrestricted free agency after continuing to build out their team this next season.

#11 Denver. They're paying Galinari over $10 million a season. Parsons makes no sense there unless they can flip Galinari for something else.

#12 Orlando - Parson's home town. Perhaps they'd take a flyer on him. Perhaps.

I just don't see it.

Convince me we can get a lottery pick for Parsons.

2. basketballholic

Can't do that. We can't trade Parson with his option pending and let Sacramento decline it. We have to exercise the option and then trade him as basically a guy with one year left before he hits unrestricted free agency.

This is my point. Those conditions....make Parsons not worth a lottery pick.

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Hey, OP I just want to say that I'm with you 100 percent. Some of these people on these boards just want to watch the Rockets to crash down. I don't think they understand how important it is to keep Parsons. He makes the team. He's going to win all of our hearts back. I promise it. I hope McHale lowers his minutes to about 35 mins a game. Same with Harden. We have the pieces currently to go far. They just need to be used well. Trading CP will just bring us a year back and end up wasting another season on Dwight.

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Not if we replace him with Love or Melo...that would make this team better than with Parsons. You get any of those two.. packing Parsons out of here is a no brainier. He is a bargain at $900,000.... he wont be a bargain at 8-9million. Sorry.

5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He isn't worth a lotto pick.

I'd save if his contract was the same for the next 3 years instead of 1 year he might be, but the team trading for him know he is gonna command a lot of money next year.

Why not roll the dice on a Rookie who you get for 4 years for super cheap.

I think Parsons can get a 15-25 pick, but probably not much better.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

It really dropped in the playoffs. After dissing Batum and then having his rear handed to him a gift wrapped basket, his value declined. He has to make huge improvements and then show up in prime time.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Patience, we'll all see soon enough.

8. basketballholic

No, we won't. Hilarious.

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>“<a href="https://twitter.com/ADrapach">@ADrapach</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons">@ChandlerParsons</a> do u think u will ever leave the Rockets?” Ask <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey">@dmorey</a></p>&mdash; Chandler Parsons (@ChandlerParsons) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/statuses/473283580613783552">June 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>