1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Parsons' trade value in 2014 draft pick(s)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 30, 2014.

?

What is Parsons' trade value in 2014 draft pick(s)?

1. #5, #6, or #7

22 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. #8, #9, #10

64 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. #11, #12, #13, #14

41 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. #15 to #20

21 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. #21 to #24

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. #26 to #30

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. Multiple non-lottery picks in the teens

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Multiple non-lottery picks in the 20's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. High second rounder

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. Low second rounder

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. basketballholic

Ok guys. Here you go. Tell us clearly what draft pick we can get for Parsons WITHOUT Parsons agreeing to a sign-and-trade after the draft? Remember, he cannot be extended. Morey has one of two choices with his contract. He can either exercise the team option to keep him on a minimum salary deal by June 30th. Or he can not exercise the option and let him go through restricted free agency.

So....with that in mind.......there are 2 possible trade scenarios:

1. Morey exercises the team option by June 30th and trades Parsons on a 1-year contract;

or

2. Morey doesn't exercise the team option and attempts to generate a sign-and-trade transaction after June 30th.

For the purposes of this thread, we should just consider the first option since the second option would take place after this year's draft. What value in draft pick(s) is Parsons worth on a one-year deal and facing unrestricted free agency?

State the team, the pick, and your reasoning. What team is going to be willing to trade for Parsons on a one-year minimum salary contract and give up a pick or picks for him with Parsons having the freedom to walk away after next season?

2. basketballholic

So early results say 61% of you think we can get somewhere between #8 and #14 for Parsons on a one-year deal that makes him unrestricted after next season.

Yet nary an explanation of why you think that, and who you think would trade their #8 through #14 pick for him.

come on guys.

3. rullrich

rullrich Member

It's an odd question because there would have to be a need at his position on the team he's going to...he's not coming off the bench wherever he goes - but in generic terms I'd say around the 8th pick in a draft this deep. Last year I would have said around the 5th pick.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe people aren't giving real answers, just votes, because we all know how you stand on Chandler Parsons. Usually when you mention him it's followed by (and I quote):

"The

Rockets

will

not

trade

Chandler

Parsons."

So when you post this thread, I turn into google-eyed Admiral Ackbar:

"It's a trap!"

But hypothetically, right?

I voted 8-9-10 to be safe.

But he would prove valuable to teams wanting to not suck, quickly. The Lakers and Celtics count. Charlotte would like him, but he might not opt to stay there, so I'd stick with the aforementioned teams.

By himself he's probably worth around the #7 pick (Lakers), and God knows they could afford to sign him in a year, but I'd be godd**ned if I'd trade him to the Lakers.

The Celtics might like him at #6, despite having Jeff Green on their roster. They might ask for a little sweetener, however, such as:

Parsons, Asik, $1,800,000 (or more $$$, if trade happened after July 1st)

for

#6, #17

Maybe I'm whistling Dixie. We all overvalue our own players.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

realistically can't sign to an extension. will be unrestricted.

if you look at past sign and trade deals, all the power is in the player agents hands. the trader is just along for the ride and gets maybe a second rounder or two.

6. Fighton

Fighton Member

i think most voted before reading your entire post.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Most of us have him on ignore, so didnt read the post, just voted on the poll....

8. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

parsons is not getting a top 10 pick in this draft. he alone will prob fetch around ~12

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Only about 1-2 players out of that range pan out to be nearly good or better then Parsons. A 20-30% chance isn't that great, and if on of those 6 teams would like to ensure a good player instead of taking a 20-30% chance gamble, they might trade their pick for Parsons.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

During the PlayOffs which perimeter Rocket player had the best chance at scoring at the rim.

a) Harden
    b) Parsons
    c) Lin

It'd be a huge disaster if the Rox wanted to compete next season in one way or another to trade Parsons. There's no way any pick the Rox get can contribute in any way on that level. Get a new coach first!!! Trade Mchale for a pick maybe... lol

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

*trade Parsons for a pick that is...

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Where is the option for number 1 overall?

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I think it's safe to say some of yall overvalue Parsons way too much...wow

14. split41

split41 Member

What are you talking about - CP25 for #1 pick straight up! Parsons is the best SF in the league - Lebron, Durant can't hold a candle to Chandler's sweet pump fake.

15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Clutchfans, you are so ******* stupid it is unbelievable.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Here is another way of examining the question, if teams had known how good he was going to be, how high would he have been drafted?

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe a #5 pick. Howevet he's worth the #1 on looks alone.

18. basketballholic

The 8th pick is the Sacramento Kings. They have expressed interest in trading for Kevin Love and using the 8th pick to do so.

1. Do you really think the Kings would value Parsons enough to trade the 8th pick for him?

2. Do you think Minnesota would value Parsons over drafting a player with the 8th pick?

That's simply unrealistic. Not to mention Sacramento is going to be paying Rudy Gay like $19 million next season to play SF for them.

However I appreciate the serious thought you put into the question. The reason I posted this thread is to get people to think about what trade value Parsons has since everybody seems to think he's the deal breaker in a Kevin Love trade. I'll say it again just to be clear. Parsons, with one year left on his contract, without him making a commitment to the team he is traded to, with him being an unrestricted free agent.....simply isn't going to garner a lot of trade interest for a high draft pick. That's my stance and nobody has been able to refute it. I'm asking a very basic question here. What team is willing to give up their lottery pick for one year of uncommitted Parsons headed to unrestricted free agency?????? Tell me the team and why.

We already know the trade market for Kevin Love is limited if he doesn't make a commitment to the team he is traded to. It was radical news when Sacramento announced they would be willing to rent Love with the 8th pick and other assets. Now we're talking about renting Parsons. And somehow 75% of you think Parsons can garner a lottery pick in this draft????????

19. basketballholic

Yes, that's a good question. But for purposes of gathering assets to trade for Kevin Love it isn't relevant.

I'm talking about today, and over the next 4 weeks or so. What is Parsons trade value currently? How high of a draft pick could we get for him?

My contention is we would be lucky to get a pick in the lower teens for him. Perhaps the Magic at #12 would trade for him while making the assumption they could sign him long-term since he's from Orlando. But the T-Wolves at #13 aren't going to give up that pick without knowing Parsons would sign there long-term. #14, #15 Suns and Hawks looking at possibly Gary Harris/Rodney Hood vs. 1 year of Parsons??? Nope. Perhaps the Bulls with #16 and #19 would yield up one of those picks and take a flyer on Parsons for a season and then getting him to re-sign. You could definitely make a case for multiple teams in the 20's since they are playoff contending type teams and Parsons would give them an immediate boost and they could fit him under the cap easily, and if they contend they have a better chance of getting him to re-sign.

But lottery????? Name the team and give your reasoning?

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If I had to guess, Sacramento, so they can decline his option and send him to RFA status. They've made it pretty obvious they don't want their draft pick but do want immediate help, and I have my doubts they want to keep Gay.