1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Morey's next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jogo, Dec 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rox81

rox81 Member

See? Everyone wins!

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GATER, this is why the Rockets continue to keep high priced guys like Jared Jeffries (or Battier for that matter). His expiring contract is the "salary slot" that can be used for a more expensive player, and then the Rockets "flippables" are used interchangeably as the "trade sweeteners".

And, while more difficult (and Morey is up to the task), the Rockets can always get a "third team" involved that has a Trade Exception. There are a lot of those around right now.

It's obvious Morey is looking to do a "Boston" type trade where they moved all of their young guys for Garnett/Allen.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I really don't think Kevin Martin has enough value to be the main piece in trading for a superstar. We acquired him for what.. our backup power forward? Not that, that is the perfect indicator of value, but it shows you what his value was as of less than a year ago.

When teams trade their superstars, they generally aren't looking for big contracts of "pretty good" players back. The Boston Celtics got Kevin Garnett because they had Al Jefferson, along with a bunch of younger talent (Green, Telfair). A lot of people think we'll be able to capitalize on a star becoming available a la Boston did, but Al Jefferson was a young, budding star post player on a rookie scale contract. That's a better piece than anything we have to offer right now.

Boston acquired Ray Allen for the #5th pick in the draft.. we don't have any comparable assets to that, unless we really go into the tank in the latter half of the year.

The Nuggets are looking to deal Carmelo for Derek Favors.. again, a young, big potential big on a cheap contract that is much better than anything we have to offer. The Nuggets second-favorite package? Galinari and Fields, both better younger talents than anything we have to offer.

The only example I can think of, of a team moving a big star for a big contract player was McGrady being dealt for Francis, Mobley and Cato. Even so, we have no comparable talents to what Steve Francis' value was.

Scola & Martin are good players.. but they're both in their late 20s/early 30s and one of them has had big time injury concerns. Those are the type of guys you add to a team to push you over the top, not to rebuild with. I just don't think they have enough value to land you that big fish.. which is why I pressed so hard for the Rockets to acquire Cousins. If we had Cousins, I think we would be right there with New York and New Jersey as players for Carmelo.

Basketball is an individual sport.. whether you enjoy Rick Adelman's motion offense or Tyreke Evans 1 on 1 moves, in the end it is an individual game. One player can GREATLY impact a game.. moreso than ANY other sport. If I had a star player that wanted to be traded.. what good is it for me to take on three or four guys that are above-average to pretty good? They wouldn't have the same effect on a game as the elite talent would, which is why you see the Nuggets preferring someone that is young and has elite potential, like Favors. We don't have anyone that comes close to matching that.

Acquiring Williams, Courtney Lee, etc. is nice.. but it doesn't really make our package any more attractive unless Terrance Williams suddenly fulfills all his potential and then some.

Instead of looking around for a 'star' to flip Martin or Scola for, I'd prefer the Rockets use these 'flipable' assets to move up high into the draft (read: Top 5 at minimum) and get someone that teams will actually want should they decide to trade their star. You'd have a lot easier time getting Denver to listen if you had a Demarcus Cousins or Harrison Barnes (2011 draft) type player than you would if you keep trying to peddle Kevin Martin or Luis Scola.

Just my two cents. I just finished my law exam about a fictional company named DD, so I have very little desire to go back and forth right now. ;)

4. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

IGOUDALA!! :grin:

Buddinger/Hill/Jeffries/ future picks

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Hmmm...

I think Aaron Brooks gets moved, the team has seen how good he has been, but also how poor he is at the little things like rebounding and defense and passing and basically everything else.

He is probably our easiest asset to trade, and we just saw how Kyle Lowry can be a more than capable starting PG, making Brooks somewhat expendable.

Sure we could trade Martin, Shane, or Cbud or Lee.....but I think Brooks is the one that other teams will covet, and he is on a reasonable salary.

I have no information, or anything other than a feeling, it just seems that he is the piece that Morey will flip.

As Gater said, you have to have quality players to get that better upgrade, and I think the reigning MIP Brooks is that type of player.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree with this as well over DD's assesment of Martin being the big trade piece. The only problem is I just dont think PG's are in high demand right now.

Morey has a team that is set up for a bundle package in a trade. In theory this team is too deep on paper.

If Brooks goes, its along with a bundle of other players and/or picks. Brooks value to this team WINNING NOW is too value to give up for another marginal mid-level player and Morey knows this.

Thats why its so hard to move him although Im sure he is the centerpiece that Morey would like mostly to part with IF its for another all-star quality player who would upgrade another position and put the team over the top.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

until morey lands a star, i don't care for any of these moves

8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From everything I've have read, NY will not part with Chandler or Fields.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Deuce -
    First, as you'd understand, I'm well aware of the impact of expiring contracts. Secondly, the BOS deal you mention was faciltated not because of small contracts. It resulted because BOS had Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliffe. Those two individually at the time made more than any Rocket not named Yao or Martin.

The Celtics needed this amount of salary because Garnett had a $23M player option for the next season. And Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair were not even close contract wise. IOW, the deal was able to fly because of the high-dollar contracts.

In addition, the Rockets do not operate in a vacuum. Lots of teams have expiring contracts. And because $Ball has a penchant for low contracts, the other teams' expirings dwarf the Rockets.

Lastly, a Carmelo-level contract requires a minimum of $12.8M in outgoing contracts. Battier + Jeffries gets you there. But the "sweetener" or "flippable" is a 3rd player. Again, it's 3 for 1. Easier for a team with a Troy Murphy-type expiring to go 2 players for 1.

Put another way. $Ball philosophy would never have paid Kelvin Kato a max contract. But without Kato, you don't get a McGrady-type contract.

I just won't believe this "asset accumulation" theory until I see it work. :grin:

EDIT CORRECTION: Al Jefferson was on rookie contact. The other part of this deal was Ricky Davis - Wally Z. Wally Z (and Ratliffe) were the ones who made more than any Rockets not named Yao or Martin.

#89 GATER, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  10. tharges

tharges Member

What star? what potential stars are we talking about? who is available? or what dictates a star in your opinion?

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Carmelo Anthony?

12. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Agreed.... or maybe something like Battier/Bud/Patterson and a pick

13. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

why does it seem like everyone wants to trade brooks?? i love the guy.

i mean if its for cp3 or melo ok....but for anyone else i dunno.

14. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

There were trade rumors about Nene being traded since the summer. From what I read, Denver wants to cut cost altogether so they can rebuild. They have some young pieces there and they need to cut salary in order to do that.

15. Chamillionaire

getting Thabeet for one of our wings.

16. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I want DM to get a defensive big this time..

17. Sanity2disChaos

Brooks/Bud/Jefferies...........for.......... Iggy/Holiday......

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Stupid trade offer... You really think they'll give up Holiday? Come on now....

19. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I wouldn't mind trading for Hasheem Thabeet, Nene, or Kendrick Perkins.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would love for Morey to get Josh Smith but then what does he do with Scola? Scola is a fantastic value for what his new deal's cost and interest would be plenty. Smith would instantly be our best paint protector and stop some of the layup drills that develop during games when Chuck/Scola are in the game.

I would imagine they would DEMAND AB, one of the expiring contracts and another youngster(maybe a pick) but he would vastly improve the team defensively and help spread the floor a bit when Yao is in the game.

Lowry/Ish
    Martin/Lee
    Battier/T-Will or Bud(might go in the deal)
    Smith/Hill
    Yao/Miller