1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Jeremy Lin's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, May 13, 2013.

1. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

I think his value should be relatively decent.

He is young and got 13 and 6 being a guy who relly doesn't get to run the offense, and many times benched. (Not a LOF)

2. joe101

joe101 Member

Greatness is measured by your success in the playoffs. Still waiting for Paul to show his greatness.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look up revenue sharing. Lin is good for the NBA in general, but not directly related to Les Alexander and the Rockets.

The only financial gain they receive directly can come from only a few options such as marketing inside of the Toyota Center(banners along, etc.). In the grand scheme of things the asian market revenue generation with Yao and now with Lin are wildly overblown.

However, Jeremy Lin and the Asian market are very profitable for the NBA as a whole which is shared among all owners(except the new Kings owners who will apparently forgo their revenue sharing pie).

4. Killer Korgi

Killer Korgi Member

Where are people getting this market value on Jeremy Lin from? He certainly doesn't generate even half of what Yao got us. I remember there was this statistic that he wasn't even in the top 20 jerseys sold in the NBA this season. Maybe he is number one in bringing in illegal stream viewership in Asia haha

5. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Look up revenue sharing.
    I used Coon's FAQ on revenue sharing here:
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

Lin is good for the NBA in general, but not directly related to Les Alexander and the Rockets.
    I would have to disagree. My reading of the revenue sharing provision is that its like a flat tax. A percentage of the teams revenues are sent to a pool of funds, after which, it is distributed equally to all the teams.

Example:
    Rockets Revenue = $100m
    % to fund = 50%
    Rockets keep $50m
    Rockets give $50m to the fund from which they will get some money back from distribution.

The more you make, the more you give but also the more you keep

A) Would you rather earn $30,000 and pay $15,000 in taxes
    or
    B) would you rather earn $100,000 and pay $50,000 in taxes.

I would choose plan B because I get to keep $50,000 even after taxes.

The fact still remains...
    The more marketing $$$ Lin earns the team, the more money Rockets make.

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Ermm. This article on NBA.com says Stern estimates NBA revenues up a record $5 billion (20%) this year primarily due to increase sales in China

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/11/13/stern-nba-revenue.ap/index.html

I can't say definitively but maybe Jeremy Lin had a little to do with that.

7. dobro1229

Yes you are correct about revenue sharing, but you still might be misleading people on here that don't understand about what counts for "Rockets Revenue."

This is something that has been discussed and argued over for years on the board from the time Yao was drafted, to the years when folks though Les was milking the corpse of Yao's broken down body, to the time when Morey signed an offer sheet to Jeremy Lin. Even Morey himself has had to constantly hammer home that this topic is widely overblown.

The so-called "Asian dollars" that are directly coming through the Houston Rockets Accounts Recievable are much more limited than folks think. All NBA merchandise(local and international) sold goes through the NBA accounts recievable, and shared equally. All national television deals with ABC & Turner are collected through the NBA accounts recievable. League Pass revenue(& international league GLOBAL) all go directly through your local cable provider and the NBA itself... NOT the teams you are watching on it.

What the Rockets will be recording as revenue on their end will essentially be things like ticket sales, local TV deals, and marketing inside the Toyota Center.

Now Les himself has started business ventures in Asia, and his connections with Yao and the Rockets have helped significantly, but most of what I have seen has been luxury business ventures like his wine business, and high end real-estate. Its not like he's opened up a sweat shop or something over there.

So back to my point. Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming are good for the NBA as a whole. EVERYONE benefits from their popularity overseas... not just the Rockets.

8. youngduck

youngduck Member

the knicks wouldve taken lin for 5m but its morey's fault for upping up the cash. so if that's how much the rockets r gonna pay then they'll have to deal with it.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Hi Dobro,

Thanks for the reply. I too did some additional research and contacted a few friends in the know. I completely agree with everything you say. The estimated $5 billion dollars the NBA is making from increased China sales this season goes directly to the league coffers and so does things like jersey sales... etc. In fact, it seems the only thing the rockets keep are tickets sales and arena advertising.

Les and Morey's love of Lin is for his basketball abilities alone. They must have some advance statistics that a lot of us don't see. They've made a lot of good choices so far and I trust their judgement on Lin. I hope he turns out to be the player they believe him to be.

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

The knicks would have taken Lin for 3/25 @ 8.3 million a year. Its the way Morey structured the deal with the 15 million in the 3rd year that made it unpallatable for the knicks because of their luxury tax situation. Morey was really smart to take advantage of the loophole, because Rockets could average out the cap hit.

You can read about the Poison Pill provision here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q88

11. dobro1229

No problem. I've been around here for some time now, and have been through the debates about how "apparently" Les is Exploiting Yao for financial gain in Asia. Alot of posters on here had a beef with Les Alexander because of the notion that he was somehow cheap and just cared about the business side of the sport.

The last year of Yao's contract Morey had to come out and explain the business side a few times on radio shows. Hopefully this year helped squashed the notion that Les is somehow cheap, and doesn't care about building a contender.

12. cw3k

cw3k Member

It is not Knicks wouldn't take Lin for 5m. There is more to the story. Obviously Melo don't want Lin. If they (Melo) wants Lin, they would offer Lin a contract before signed all their big offers to the veterans who cannot give in 5 mpg, Wallace, Camby, etc.

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

That's right. Woodson was the only one that wanted him. Woodson said, "We'll match any offers up to a billion dollars!"

14. joe101

joe101 Member

And up to 51% of BRI (Basketball Related Income) goes to the players. Every player should send Lin a thank you note when they receive that extra check after all the accounting is done. BRI most likely would have been even more had Lin stayed in NY. So every player should send some hate to Melo's and JR's way.

15. hlcc

hlcc Member

bring in extra money? what extra money? sure he'll draw in the asian american crowds in for a couple of games but what else?

16. hlcc

hlcc Member

do you honestly believe NBA's growth in China is due to Lin? Hell the last time I checked even Yi had 3-4 times the number of followers/fans on his Weibo account than Lin.

17. dobro1229

The Shangai Sports Commission is really the ones who are responsible for the growth in popularity of the NBA in Asia. Yi after Yao, and Lin after Yi are just keeping the interest. However it all started with Operation Yao.

Per Brook Larmar author of Operation Yao Ming-

18. joe101

joe101 Member

I'd think the high volume Lin fan base signed up since 2012 in Clutchfans serve a good indication. And the extraordinary interest on Lin generated last year was not a delusion either. When people talk about something, they are interested in that it, and they tend to follow the action. The Yi fans too, naturally, follow where Yi plays, the league in China, not the NBA.

19. hlcc

hlcc Member

And of those new members that signed up after Lin joined the Rockets, how many are Asian Americans and how many are actually Chinese from China? Lin matters far more for Asian Americans and Taiwanese than actual Chinese people and the Chinese market.

Sure Lin generated alot of interest in both the US and China during his Linsanity days, but that interest and his marketability have both plummeted since.

20. joe101

joe101 Member

Have you seen the mob scenes when he visited China last year? These clips were all over the place, even on CF. Do you think all that interest just vanished in a matter of months? We all can see the progression of interest in China from Yao to Yi to now Lin.

OK, neither you nor I have facts to support our view. The only fact on the table is that there is a significant increase in revenue from China this year. This sudden jump in revenue didn't happen last year or the year before, just by chance coincide with the arrival of Lin. If that is not the after effect of Linsanity, what do you attribute the spike in revenue to then? I don't believe it is because of the Kobes or Lebrons, they are not news; everything else is a constant except Lin.