1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Jeremy Lin's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, May 13, 2013.

1. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

It was always going to be difficult to move him if he didn't live up to his contract because teams receiving him in any deal would take a cap hit equal to his actual salary that season, unlike the Rockets who only take on the average of the 3 seasons (~8.3mil). That means the other team would be looking at a $15mil cap hit in his third year... ouch.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken I think it's been stated in this thread already, but for the Rockets or even any other team we might trade either Lin or Asik to, it'd be 8.3mil/year on the cap hit and 5 mil and 15 mil for his 2nd and 3rd year salary (cash actually paid). No team will experience a 15mil cap hit in his last year.

The cash paid though, since the Rockets only paid Lin 5mil this past year, couldn't they send cash to any team they'd trade him to in order to compensate for the difference in cash? Meaning sending team X $3mil so the actual cash burden for team X would only be $2mil in the first year they have him ($5mil - $3mil in cash contribution) and then $15mil in the last year (averaging out to $8.5mil for the two years?

Does that work?

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Can you give me some details on this TV deal the Rockets have with China? I was unaware that the Rockets had a TV deal with China. How much are the Rockets making from this deal?

4. nono

nono Member

Some people just live under a rock. The next person who says there will a $15m cap hit should be banned. I mean, how thick can you be ?

5. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

He brings in gazillions.
    Who cares about the money.
    I just want peace on clutch fans.
    Trade him already!

6. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

+1

The funny thing is, if the Knicks trade for Jeremy (not that I say they will), the cap hit will also be $8.3M.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

True statement ^^^....

As far as Lin's value....

at 8.3M/yr vs his numbers this year, I'd call it about a wash...get a 2nd rd pick - at worst give a 2nd for someone to take his contract off our books....

HOWEVER, when you add in merchandising appeal... for the right team....maybe a mid first rd...

imo....

8. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Current production --- not too much, but you could easily find a trade partner. Now, if Morey really wanted to deal him, you'd tell McHale straight up to feature him for 4-5 games so he can boost his numbers up. Morey only sells high, and buys low...

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

This team is young, whaddaya got to worry about, increase the beta. Hedge against injuries. Diversify!

10. trowa2

trowa2 Member

doubt he will be traded.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Remember Terrence Williams? We bought him for a first round pick, and we sold him for, well we couldn't sell him to anyone so we just released him.

12. trowa2

trowa2 Member

the spurs might want him. they always want unselfish players.

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I think you trade the contract as is. But Rockets can send cash as part of the deal, teams are limited in how much cash they can send every year.

14. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I wonder if Morey's a bit hesitant on trading Lin. You know, the whole we had him, gave him to New York, Linsanity, Les was pissed on Valentine's day because of the money he saw.

Can you imagine what happens if we let Lin go again after another year of developing, only for him to blow up again for some other team? I mean the chances can be slim, but there's always that wild factor. It's really good, it's good and it can be really bad, bad.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Good point.

What's that expression...

"once bitten... "

Les wanted Lin back and he won't let Morey trade him away since Lin's season has been pretty good and he looks on the up and up.

16. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

just curious what kind of numbers do you expect out of 8.3mill per year player?

17. dantian

dantian Member

When did he say that? But if he did, the guy knew what he was talking about who traded for the 3rd-year pro Nash and waited another 3 years for him to become a star. In this 3rd/4th year, Nash as the starter averaged approximately 8 ppg and 5 apg, in 29 min., until he broke out in 5th year with 15.6/7.3/34.1. So, after ASB, Lin's first year as full starter is close to Nash's 3rd already.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/592/steve-nash

18. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I think its too early for Lin to be compared to Nash. I mean Nash's greatness comes from his consistency over 10+ years. Another glaring difference in stats is that Nash was consistently a 40% 3 point shooter, Lin needs to improve a lot in this department if he is to catch Nash.

Lin is closer to Chris Paul at the moment. Their numbers are not that far apart and if Lin was in a situation where he was the ball dominant guard, he could easily match Paul in points and assists. Lin could reach Paul's 2012/13 stat line as early as next year and definitely in 2 - 3 years.

Paul 2012/13

48.1% / 32.8%
    9.7 ast
    2.4 stl
    2.3 to
    16.9 pts

Lin

44.1% / 33.9%
    6.1 ast
    1.6 stl
    2.9 to
    13.4 pts

19. gengar

gengar Member

To all saying Lin is not worth his contract ON-court, 8 mil per year is a pretty average contract. He puts up average numbers on 20% usage...thats big. If he was allowed to be the sole focal offense like PGs like Wall, Lin would put up at least 17ppg/7a for sure. He just needs the right team to be on. Anyway, his off-court money revenue makes him incredibly valuable. I could see him going to teams that desperately need PG.

20. wincan459

wincan459 Member

The chances may not be slim, a lot depends on the situation he is in.

I think he has settled down and will focus on what he needs to improve this offseason.

Wow, clutch fans sentiments are completely unpredictable. All of a sudden, it seems to many that Garcia, Defino, Brooks, Beverley, are all better than Lin.