1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Jeremy Lin's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, May 13, 2013.

1. faraza84

faraza84 Member

If he gets traded to any team it's one that is
    A. Financially hurting
    B bad pg situation
    C. When all else fails. Sacramento kings will take anything.

2. leslie

leslie Member

Do teams share revenues from the jersey sales, international tv deal, and courtside advertising? I can see Pacers and Jazz are interested in getting Lin because of their lack of quality point guards.

3. boiler

boiler Member

Trade Lin for George Hill.

4. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Lin's financial impact to an individual team is over blown. a lot of the income people assume go to the Rockets, actually are equally distributed to all teams. The one exception is actual butts in the seats, and Linsanity is fading.

#2 To the guy that said Lin has elite court vision, no he doesn't.

#3 Yes, the third year's cap hit is only 8 million, my question is whether Lin is actually PAID the baloon payment in year 3, or if he has been getting 8.3 in year one and two. If he is getting a baloon actual payment in year three, I can see why teams would stay away.

#4 Lin has value, he can be dealt if the Rockets want to, but I do not expect the team to get super valuable assets in return. Asik is a different story.

#5 I am sure the Rockets would deal Lin's contract to clear room for an elite player, but I don't think it is likely to happen.

5. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

People keep saying that Lin's final year on the contract is a attractive enough to trade him away. Can anyone help me clarify on that part? Why does the final year of an expiring contract raises a player's trade value?

6. deshen

deshen Member

the 20 mil contract left in the next two seasons would be huge upset to any team.

7. boiler

boiler Member

Because the contract will be expire and off the book, thus give your cap room to pursue star players.

8. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I agree with you except #1 and #3. Owner has to pay 15mil out of pocket in Lin's 3rd year but a fraction of TV deal from China along can cover that and more.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Forget need. It's all about ticket sales and sponsorships, so Clippers, Lakers, Kings, Warriors, and Nets would want him, because of the huge Asian population in CA and NY.

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

jersey sales and merchandise yes.. but those endorsments from china thats all money in les' pocket.. linsanity has been dead, but let him go somewhere to a non contending team and put up 17/per playing streetball and the lof's will be happy..

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No it isn't.

From the CBA FAQ

A small market team who gets a massive viewership overseas is going to rake in profits they don't have to share.

12. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I wonder how much Lin makes financially for a team as well. Knicks knew first hand, at the height of it, what Lin was doing for them financially and they let him go.

His trade value is probably considerably low. I think there are about 6-7 teams that might want him. I think Orlando would be a good fit for him so they might take a chance at it. They are developing a lot of young guys like Tobias and Vujecic is basically Asik with a much better offensive game(worse defensive) so there's a chance he and Lin might have some chemistry. And if it doesn't work out, they'll have a shot at drafting Wiggins and Lin will be at the end of his contract then.

13. Swag

Swag Member

lol i just hope we can get cp3 in a sign n trade involving lin at this point

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What am I missing?

He made 8.3 already. 16.7 remaining. So does his contract become 8.3 per year now for any team he's traded to, or something else that makes the balloon payment thingy? Note my highly technical terms.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Oh goodie another Lin thread!

I have somewhere to hate on him some more.

Lin is raking in millions in marketing $$$.
    His trade value is through the roof, only for big market teams.

Lakers and Clippers are ripe for the picking.

We should trade Lin straight-up for Chris Paul.

Bwaaahahaha!!! (evil laugh)

In reality... get over it guys, he ain't going anywhere.
    Les is not going to approve any Lin trade unless its for CP3 and that's NOT happening. Dream on...

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Its an 8.3 cap hit per year because his salary is averaged out.

BUT

the team still has to pay him into his bank account 5 - 5 - 15.

He more than pays for himself through marketing $$$ so teams are not going to care. All they care about is the cap hit.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

two cartons of milk, a choc chip muffin and a 4lb wagyu steak.

18. Fighton

Fighton Member

errr.. who cares what his paycheck looks like... it's what counts against the cap that matters, and in his case it's 8mil, not 15. does this guy know what he's talking about?

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Cool, thx for the clarification. So, in here:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

Asik and Lin should actually be 8.3 for three years?

And when they are traded, the Rockets get 8.3 back rather than 5 or 15?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The market is stocked full of good young PG's right now. Its hard to say what people would give because there isn't much need for PG's. Almost every team has a very good to near all-star calliber player at PG.

So name the team first, then I will be able to tell you what they would give for him.

Example of how it can differ-

Miami-

Lin for Mike Miller, Mario Chalmers, & a 2nd round pick or late 1st

Utah-

Lin for S&T for Paul Millsap/or young big(Kanter) & 1st round pick(13th or 14th pick)

...................................................................................................

So you see how the offers could differ from team to team based on need, and that teams salary cap flexibility? You want to trade him to a team like Miami who might really want him, and your most likely HELPING THEM OUT financially while giving away the best player in the trade. However that's the best deal a team like that could do.

Then you have a team like Utah who might very well be needing a young PG to go with their young bigs for the future. Also you see they are a team in need of a face they can help draw media attention with. A star of sorts. The offer you could get from them would be substantially higher than that of another team.

So it just depends on the team, and the situation. Given the market for PG's, Id say you most likely wont like the deal the Rockets are going to get so you might as well just look to keep him.

1 person likes this.