1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

What is, in hindsight, your worst basketball opinion ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arno_ed, Jan 7, 2019.

1. THEGLIDEc

THEGLIDEc Member

i lose all the credibility but at one point i said we should trade harden because he's reached his ceiling. i think it was after 15-16 season when we finished 8th and lost in the first round

amaru likes this.
  2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Whats yours tho

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think Harden was going to be that good. I doubted that he had it in him to be "the guy" when the Rockets traded for him. I found out otherwise REALLY quickly.

IMO that's much worse than being wrong about some random PF's that are all but answers to trivia questions now.

amaru and dachuda86 like this.
  4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can raise my hand to a lot of those. I guess my most egregious was thinking Yao Ming was another Shawn Bradley.

Not a Clutch Fans thing, but worst basketball decision ever had to be NCAA banning the dunk to slow Lew Alcindor down! Can you imagine that game today!

don grahamleone and heypartner like this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Harden vs Dwight.... I was Team Dwight...

Harden had his whole Kardashian drama and was seeming like a narcissistic ass who was more worried about padding his stats than being a team player... and as much I hated D12 prior to coming to Houston, he seemed to be working hard and was saying all the right things - but getting unjustly froze out...

fryjol7, Kruze10 and don grahamleone like this.
  6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I remember believing fully that Stevie Franchise would one day be on the level of the NBA's elite, and help lead us to the promised land... <sigh> I still love Stevie, but man that did not go well... I partly blame JVG, whose coaching style was just not a good fit for his game.

I don't consider having high hopes for DMo a "wrong" opinion. It was just a failed prediction because of injuries. I still think Donuts could have been great for us if he could have stayed healthy... Remember how good he was starting to look in that 2015 run before he went down? He was 24 and starting to put up legit starter numbers. He was an unbelievably rare breed of big man who both had fantastic post moves AND could shoot the three. His defensive numbers were better than people realized, too. He was a big part of how that team held it down so well without Dwight. I remember his last game for us that year, he torched Anthony Davis in New Orleans en route to a nice win... Then he was done for the season and never looked the same again.

Back problems will f*** you up, man.

Easy likes this.
  7. biff17

biff17 Member

Yeah that's only in your opinion that it's much worse missing on Harden than some random PF's.

Don't change Bobby don't change.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, that's what IMO means......

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I was against the DMo-Detroit trade. Was happy when it fell through.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Anytime I agreed with DD

D-rock, King1 and don grahamleone like this.
  11. stickyfingers

stickyfingers Member

Here are a few:

Anthony Davis was too skinny to play 5 and not skilled enough for the 4- was too overhyped

Royce white- he would be our draymond green. And he would have been, had he not been scared of airplanes

Terrance Jones- I legit though he would overtake parsons as the starting 3.

Cluster of power forwards- Terrance Jones,dmo, Parsons, Thomas Robinson, luis Avila- almost. All them were cut or walked with not trade return...

Ty Lawson- I told several they need to bring him off the bench and never play him with harden. By the time mcfail tried this his confidence was gone and the experiment failed.

Thought we should have drafted Tyler zeller ahead of Terrance jones

Thought Marcus Thornton, mcw, melo, Chriss, would be ok 11:12/13 fill in rotation guys- all were simply trash

Jason terry was washed and unplayable/ he stared in the wcf!

amaru likes this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I honestly thought we'd be the best team in the NBA after we got Tracy McGrady. Instead we were a mediocre playoff team.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I used to despise Clint Capela...Granted, he had stone hands and drove me insane. Almost as insane as Omer.

I WAS WRONG...

Confession 2: I thought Aaron Brooks was a better player for us than KyLow. I was f*************** wrong :)

And, of course, as every Ear told me the first go that Melo was on his way, and at that last minute burn by Presti, I was wrong.

We're going to get a little more help before the deadline. The team is playing well, and when CP and EGO come back, we'll be that much better GOING IN to the postseason, instead of hobbling in there.

Discussions with the Lakers are legit due to the Pope wanted a bigger role.

But, right now, I'm hearing that Morey is being patient based on this epic run. Sure, if something amazing comes up, he'll bite.

And wth is up with Jimmy being an assistant coach in Philly? Someone needs to check him.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL! that is gold! Man, that is always going to stick with you. I loved that you included that in your podcast intro. :D

D-rock, fryjol7 and Clutch like this.
  15. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Signing Pippen was the key to a championship!
    Kelvin Cato was going to be our center of the future.
    Matt Maloney was going to be our PG of the future.
    Rodrick Rhodes was going to be our SG of the future.
    Serge Zwikker was going to be our backup center of the future.
    Juwan Howard was a dumb signing.
    Bonzi Wells was a dumb signing.
    Yao/Bostjan Nachbar was our 3/5 combo of the future.
    We should have never gotten Steve Francis after dissing Canada.
    Big Country Reeves was going to dominate in the Great White North.
    I hated "basketball reasons".

BamBam likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I will never dog on anyone for being excited about that deal when it happened. If Pippen wasn't such a b****-made prima donna, and actually came here with intentions of playing hard, we WOULD have had a championship run. **** Scottie Pippen.

D-rock, slothy420 and Artie_Fufkin like this.
  17. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Definitely not my worst post ever, but I'd have to go back to my pkmagas moniker to find some gems. Seems I make a lot of good arguments as Louka cause this is the best I could find.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought Boki was the best thing that came out of trading Hakeem to Toronto.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To those who were wrong about Aaron, he was the MIP, was cursed but there was a time he was legit, just too brief.

Could see him soar thru the sky against the Lakers.

D-rock likes this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought Stromile Swift could be a good player for us. Bonzi Wells, same.

Thought Chandler Parsons had all-defense potential, second coming of Bobby Jones.

I was really down on Capela’s upside early on.