1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is going on with the market?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jan 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Looks like commodities and emerging markets are getting hit because of US problems.

I think those will be good buying opportunities after this meltdown.

I would stay out of the US, there's just too much debt among banks and consumers.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

we will be down 800 to 1000 tomorrow. if europe and asia get hit again it will be REALLY ugly at the open.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

If we get a bounce later this week I'll definitely use it as a chance to get out of my riskier investments.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Typically the rest of the world follows the lead of the US markets, not vice versa. However, this thing today was a blood bath and may have spooked foreign investors who have money in US stocks to sell tomorrow.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

China down ANOTHER 7% as we speak. i can't imagine what europe is going to be like.

6. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

tommorow will be very interesting

These things get overhyped so much these days though.

I have a feeling it won't be that bad, slightly down

7. Dream Sequence

Tomorrow's going to be ugly. Very curious to see if the Fed will feel the need to step it up big to calm the markets or let it take its lumps.

8. deepblue

deepblue Member

They gotta be careful on this, cut the rate too much could really mess up USD.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

this selling is more than hype. this is people panicking out. china down 8%...nearly 2000 points. they still have the afternoon session to go so we will find out if they can put in any kind of bounce.

10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

So much for the "decoupling” or the "emerging market" theories....... goes to show you how complicated and difficult to read the global economy has become….

I believe the U.S is still very much the heart of the global economy and reality just b*tch slapped the rest of the world.

Tomorrow is going to be a horrible day for the U.S market...book it.

2008’s going to be a difficult year for everyone.

The only good thing is oil prices are going to fall.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the oil prices won't fall too much. i think a good amount of the u.s. recession fears have already been priced in to oil prices. further, things just aren't that bad. they certainly aren't great but perception is starting to disconnect from reality.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The prices are/were in a bubble state. I bet they go back to 70 or 60, or at least I hope so.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

not too much of a bubble state. some of the oil price strength is directly related to dollar weakness since oil is priced in dollars. if we continue to cut rates then that will buoy oil prices.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

u.s. futures currently halted on a limit down. man I need to get some sleep I gotta be at work in less than 5 hours. I just can't take my eyes off the carnage since I have never seen this kind of panic selling in my short 4 year trading career. hopefully, i'll have a good day trading this train wreck tomorrow....err later today.

15. Mr. Brightside

I don't think it will be that bad tommorrow as the futures indicate right now. I would be surprised if the market actually closed lower than 300-400 points. You know the Plunge Protection Team is getting its buy orders ready and the Fed is going to have an emergency rate cut before the end of the month. The American markets are the most level headed of any equity market, thus I don't think you'll see that panic as you are seeing in Asia and Europe.

The sad thing is I got stopped out of both Dollar Index futures (short) and Euro FX long last night. But when the Fed steps in and cuts 75 bps, you can bet the USD will take a short term licking at least again.

Just watch the VIX. I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread last week, that fear hadn't set in completely since the beginning of the new year which would indicate more imminent downside. But today the VIX will spike and be finally set into panic mode, which should signal some short term buy signal.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I dunno this time......PPT has already been there just about every trading day the past 3 weeks to no avail......and tomorrow (Tuesday), it'll be like trying to stick your finger in a dike.....or is it dyke :cool: ....anyways, the circuit breakers start kicking in at Dow -1000 and they just close the whole damn thing altogether at Dow -2000......but then there's always wednesday.... :)

btw, my guess is that the 75 bps you're waiting for on the benjamins has already been mostly baked and factored in...although yeah we could see a quick drop after the annoucement...

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

agreed. i was looking for the vix to finally start spiking big like that last selloff day in august in order for us to actually put in a bottom. it seems like things aren't as bad for us today since europe recovered a ton of their opening losses.

also, there are reasons to be fundamentally buying. valuations just aren't that high...especially on stocks that have already been priced for recession. granted, a global sell off will spook people but the earnings so far haven't been bad. financials sucks but what else is new? there are a ton more earnings to come but things just don't look that horrible. i dunno...call me a random idiot for saying that.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I agree things don't look so bad on the surface, fundamentally speaking......i'm just concerned/wondering if there's something the markets know that we don't.....-15% already for some of these Asian markets in just 2 trading days......when in doubt, listen to the markets - not your heart....

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

That's what NPR was saying this morning.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

.75 bps already announced....all euro mkts bumped into green!