1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Pablo Prigioni?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Mar 13, 2015.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

He ****ing went 8/26 :eek:

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

The only thing i care about at this point is that he doesn't turn the ball over (third in A-TO ratio last year behind CP3) and passes like a G especially on the PNR. If he can hit an automatic stop and pop at 15 feet we golden. In addition, he knows how to set up an offense. You'll see the difference in the playoffs where we actually have to start running plays. I agree that his defense is suspect, he makes up for it with veteran heady moves... defensive-minded fouls etc...

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He needs to start making shots whether a 3 or a long 2. Because teams are now doubling off him and he can't even pass to the roll man.

So far he's good for giving Terry some rest. That's the reason McHale (even if he may not want to) is forced to give Nick Johnson minutes. Nick may be the better defender of oour 3 PGs (with Bev out).

4. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

All I know is Prigs doesn't turn the ball over and can make a layup. Oh and he doesn't dribble the ball in the paint for no reason which allows for better ball movement. While Beverly is out of the lineup, imagine him coming off the bench in the games we're playing versus being in the starting rotation. I'll take Prigs/Terry/Brewer combination with Beverly coming off the bench which makes our team that much more of a THREAT. Just my opinion.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I'm glad Kevin gave Nick some of those minutes. A Terry/NJ combo is not all that bad until Bev comes back

6. nolenium

nolenium Member

Bingo. There's this insane idea out there that everyone has to be Deron Williams or CP3.

No. Your PG does not have to have the capability of pouring in 20+ on a moment's notice, especially considering the lethal offensive talent this Rockets squad has.

He's my kind of PG - like you said, knows how to run an offense, set up plays, run a phenomenal PnR. Bev is overall more capable defensively, and can be a wonderful pest, but Prigioni is no slouch.

His 3-ball will start falling. Rhythm is just off for now, give it time (and hopefully more PT while Bev is down).

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Williams shot as much in one game as Prig's Rockets TOTAL

Prig has only attempted 31 shots total with the Rockets. (Barely more than Alexey Shved took in 1/3 the minutes.)

Prig has only attempted 3 Two-point shots (respectable 2-3 in those) Everything he shoots is basically a selective 3 pointer.

Though if all Prig does is hit the open 3 35% and work a little pick n roll to Dwight, it'll be alright.

(Still shoulda kept Shved but whatever)

8. Frusciante

Frusciante Member

I know pablo hasn't played a that much for us yet but I trust him he's the kind of guy to be m.i.a. then hit a big shot in the playoffs

9. Houston79Astro

Can we rank all the third string pgs in the league. It would be nice to see how we fair having prigs be our back up's back up.

10. Rivers

Rivers Member

37 years (May 17, 1977)
    Pablo Prigioni, Age

37 years (September 15, 1977)
    Jason Terry, Age

What do you expect?

Soon there gonna be no point guards left on this team

11. Kash

Kash Member

I would rather see Nick Johnson getting those minutes, so it's disappointing for sure.

12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Supposedly he is top 3 in average speed. 1. Patty mills. 2. Corey brewer 3. Him

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think Prigs was very good today. If he can give solid minutes like today, the Rockets should be just fine at the point for the rest of the season.

14. hakeemthagreat

I doesn't matter. Prigs is the worst pg in the west. We really need a another playmaker pg

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

16. Houston79Astro

[​IMG]

17. Houston79Astro

Please do go on.....

18. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Prigioni is unspectacular, but solid. He doesn't turn the ball over, he gets the offense into some semblance of structure, and he distributes the ball well. That's exactly what you need from a backup point guard. He's not going to make a highlight reel ever, but that's not what the Rockets are asking him to do. The Rockets have enough creators at other positions -- it's not necessary for the backup point guard to be Magic Johnson.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with you on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not expecting Prigs to be a force against the best point guards in the West. What I want is him to limit mistakes and keep the offense flowing when it's not all Harden.

You can't expect to win at every position on the court, but hopefully Prigs can be active enough (as he was today) that you force someone to guard him. PP just understands the game and we need that right now. I'm just hoping for some consistency.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is involved in some . . .. weird steals/turnovers for the other team
    He seems to have deceptive defense where he hits the ball knocking it loose.
    He doesn't get the steal but someone else can scoop it up
    [does he get credit for it or the receiver?]

Rocket River