1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Garuba?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmm, I thought you were for giving the little guys a chance. ;)

D-rock likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am, but with 13 players to squeeze into 8 rotational spots and Garuba being at the bottom I think he gets lost in the shuffle.

And at this point we don't need to be finding role players we need to find the 3-6 people we plan to build around.....Garuba is not a build around guy.

Just seems like the wrong time for him, to me.

DD

fattz likes this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

He may not even get spot minutes. He has value but not to us at the moment.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A tanking team can lose to anyone, no matter how bad the other team. But we're not talking about a tanking team. We're talking about last year's roster with management and coaching that prioritizes wins over everything else.

Schroeder/KPJ
    Green/Matthews
    Gordon/Tate
    Wood/Garuba
    Theis/Sengun

Would totally eat Spain alive if we are not tanking. The chemistry of playing 82 games together alone is insurmountable, nevermind the talent gap. Would Lorenzo Brown even make our roster? Can their best player Juancho win a roster spot over Wood, Theis or Sengun? Then why's he playing for the minimum right now while our 3 guys are worth at least a second round pick in trade? Who the hell is going to guard Jalen Green lol? Dennis freaking Schroeder is putting 20+ points on Eurobasket teams. Even our bench is lit.

Fun little exercise, but I think we're at the limit of exchanging opinions. To each his own. You don't sound like you'd bet all your savings on Spain either tbh.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I wouldn't bet on Spain, I just don't think we would win as dominantly as u paint it. Eurobasket champs should b able to put up a fight against the Rockets at least. But meh it's not worth debating over.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

When would the right time be? It seems like a perfectly opportune time to see what Garuba can do and to get him some much needed NBA experience. We're still so incredibly young and it's not as if we're competing for the playoffs this season.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We have more than 8 rotation spots given the age of the squad, and players can come into and out of the rotation. There's no one in the organization thinking we can't find stars and develop the rest of our picks. It's just a story in one poster's head. We can build around 3-6 and develop 3-6 more. It's exactly what we're doing. The Rockets had this brilliant idea: just hire more developmental coaches instead of giving up on our draft pick from a year ago who was the sixth youngest player in the NBA when he joined.

See how these barriers are actually made-up stories? You might think there's only two options: a star we keep, or we dump him. In reality we don't know what he is yet and there's dozens of possibilities in between. You can develop more guys if you hire more coaches and don't have veterans on the squad. Easy solution.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is Garuba gonna have to wear a diaper during game time?

Dobbizzle, King1, mfastx and 3 others like this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This dude won’t play this year - or ever

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sure and if my aunt had nutz she'd be my uncle.

Again, the point was very simple and clear - Draymond Green is NOT a triple double machine.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Can't even trust your eyes amirite?

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets not likely to compete for playoffs this season and injuries happen.

But no way Bruno is going to displace Garuba, a recent Rockets first round pick.

j@amc likes this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

Thank you for your response…

In 2022 is how one identities more than anatomy.

It’s more about fit over function with Green. He has a collection of rings to prove this point. You are correct that he is not an exceptional individual talent. My point he is very successful playing within his skill set and team needs / system.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

No one is denying Draymond's unique talent or his collection of rings.

I am specifically denying ONE thing and ONE thing only, Draymond is not a triple double machine.

To say or even imply otherwise is patently false.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Garuba should come into the locker room with a giant championship belt over his shoulder and brush pass Alpie as if he didn't see him there.

16. DaDakota

I think there are others more important at the spots he can play.....4 and 5.

Whatever the org decides I am fine with.

DD

17. fattz

fattz Member

3/5 of your starting line up is gone.

Plus the team presented never happened because Thies was traded for Schroeder so they where never on the same Rocket team.

Reality sucks.

18. DaDakota

D-Rock, that is the X-factor if the org doesn't go with best guy available and says, well this guy was a FRP, we should play him then you are right he will play.

However, they didn't do that with Mathews and Christopher last year, they seemed to play whomever they liked the best.

So I guess we shall see.

DD

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Garuba hasn't yet convinced me that he's anything special, but I'd much rather give him minutes as the backup 5 this year than Cauley-Stein. We're not going to make the playoffs, so it's time to see what all these recently drafted kids can do.

Corrosion, D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I don't understand why the organization should not invest minutes in a first round pick Big man whose main skills are passing and defense, after drafting a supposedly big time scoring guard to pair him with?

It's hard to find someone in the basketball world who dislikes Garuba, and yet our team can't find minutes for him. If we don't believe in him at the coaching level, the only one that matters, we should trade him for some value. Scouts in twitter love him.

D-rock likes this.