1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What is even the point of Garuba?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Aug 22, 2022.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

sure, all this assuming he is checking the regular boxes. We’ll wait and see but in any case I think it will be the correct move to give him the back up big role at the start of the season. He was not part of the team last year and this is a fresh start and we have no good option anyway. Let him get that feeling and hope that he will keep it up.

clutchdabear likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not a chance - unless he earns it.....hell we aren't even sure Alpi can be a starter there without fouling out.

DD

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yet you prefer Bruno as your back up big, who fouls way more than Sengun.

It is a back up big spot on a rebuilding team, not a contender. Garuba has already earned his chance as long as he is in good shape.

For some reason the ‘unathletic’ types must earn their spot but the athletic types need to play because they need playing time to learn.

4. xaos

xaos Member

I didn't watch any of the league but Golbert has trouble scoring against point gaurds in the post lol

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

funny how our village idiot DD criticizes garuba's assists for being easy simple passes, yet hypes up kpj's assists as if he has some extraordinary vision.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. DaDakota

I do prefer Bruno, because he is a threat on offense.....I don't want guys that only play one end.

Dude, that is uncalled for, I have a different opinion than you. Do I call you an idiot? Don't bring in tired arguments in other threads and gum them up with personal vendettas - it ruins the board to have one argument in all the threads...

DD

jboslett and glimmertwins like this.
  7. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Offense is not only shooting. Was Stockton a bad offensive player?

8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

lol why so riled up? for someone supposedly as old as you, you actually started the name calling bs with clutchingpearls and scumbag lol...

guess you can't take it because you really do know you're the running joke of CF

9. DaDakota

Stockton was a threat to shoot and had to be guarded.....that analogy is not all that great.

DD

10. DaDakota

I don't recall scumbagging anyone - but if I did that is uncalled for....clutchingpearls too, my apologies.

As for being a joke? I guess to those who don't see the game the way I do, but many many more agree than disagree - but the nature of the beast is that grumps talk more than folks that are satisfied.

DD

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Did someone mean to title this thread point guard Garuba?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are evaluating a very young player on where they are right now, vs the idea that they will grow along many dimensions.

D-rock, Richie_Rich and Believe It! like this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you prefer Bruno - a guy who is closer to his top peak and is very unlikely to be with us by the time this team is competing for a championship over a guy who is more raw but has upside? We aren't trying to win now, it makes no sense to put Bruno ahead of Garuba at this point in time. That feels very shortsighted.

CXbby, D-rock, DatRocketFan and 3 others like this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Payton on Stockton..

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I like Bruno as the interim backup 5, but Garuba will be in Houston long after he is gone.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Garuba doing Garuba things.

Championship final.

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. DaDakota

No, I am saying with 13 young players to evaluate and him being arguably the worst, he won't get the chance in Houston.

Because it benefits everyone on the floor if all 5 are a threat on both ends, and that speeds up development. Therefore I believe that Garuba will be in the Gleague learning how to play offense - and IF he does then he will be up in Houston possibly in the rotation.

Not EVERYONE we have drafted or have on the Roster is going to be a keeper, in fact right now....there are only 2 guaranteed keepers on the team IMHO.

Green and Smith - the rest are all available for trades, or upgrades or might prove to be part of the core, to me THIS YEAR is about finding the 3-6 players you want to build around.......

Not ROLE players that you can find just about anywhere.

And, I am NOT against Garuba, I just don't think he is special, or an NBA ready player yet.......but he can certainly get there, I just think our log jam will stop him from doing it here.

DD

#318 DaDakota, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know whom y'all are arguing with, but if it is the person I think it is, then we will see Garuba being a valuable contributor to the Rockets for many years.

The reverse Dan Langhi/D-Mo etc. curse, so to speak.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If his passes are simple? What do u call the one kpj usually do?

I honestly believe garuba and sengun passing abilities are way superior to kpj cause they have better court vision. Imagine being able to get an assist while attempting an alley oop.

The lack of offense is somewhat valid. Garuba needs more offense skills to stay on the court since it will basically b a 4 v 5 like u mentioned.

I just find it weird that u can hype up kpj assist ability and down play garuba whose passes I think are of better quality. Man is legit able to draw defenders to generate wide open shots while lacking real offense threat.

It could b defense in the eurobasket isn't as good but it's quite impressive for garuba to find wide open shooters at that age with his passing abilities.