1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Garuba?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Aug 22, 2022.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

…and if he’s in G-League GETTING BETTER what’s wrong with that?

Corrosion, D-rock and clos4life like this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Q for any/all: which provides a better window into a player’s value, EuroBasket or Summer League.

people go ga-ga over someone or somebodies in SL but yes/no EB?

D-rock likes this.
  3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Didn‘t we draft him to be a role player? I thought that was the point of getting him from the get go - a player that you can stick on the other teams best wing/center on defense, that helps with protecting the paint and that doesn‘t need to get the ball on offense.

On offense you probably put him in the corner or put him in pick and roll situations - other than that he should clean up the glass and be a lob target.

I am not saying he is this player yet, but if he maxes out as a guy that get 10 million per year and is playing the PJ Tucker role, that is a win.

One thing that I saw from him that I didn‘t see before is his floor vision. He had some really great assists against Germany. Now he just needs to get his conditioning down and improve his jumper. And if he goes to the GLeage for that, I am fine with it.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Green
    JC
    Garuba.

notice a trend by Double D? Who knows he might become a huge Garuba fan next season.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He doesn't play hard like Green all the time, I get that is what folks hoped.

There is nothing wrong with the GLeague for any player.

I like Garuba, I just see him as the furthest away, why are people so upset if he goes to the Gleague and plays with TyTy all year?

DD

6. MystikArkitect

Issue with folks, especially these days, is that they view Summer League/Euroleague and think = NBA success when it doesn't. Doncic, Jokic, and Giannis are all out. It's a different style of basketball. Like in the SL, some randoms can put up gaudy stats but they can never do that in the NBA.

Garuba's style might be more suited for Euroleague and not the NBA. Draymond-lite is a liability. The reason Draymond is a HoF level player is because he's one of the smartest most cerebral players in the league. Anything less than that and he is unplayable due to his abysmal shooting.

I dont have high hopes for him but hope to be wrong. You can't teach motor and want.

Corrosion and don grahamleone like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember before the draft seeing some videos of his passing (meme intended :D). So his court vision was always there. There were some highlights that showed him making a few 3pt shots. But shooting highlights are not very meaningful because they don't show the missed shots, unless it's a ton of made shots in a variety of situations like those of Jabari's.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dray is a terrific piece on the terrific Ws. When they stunk it up so too did Mr Green. Odd, that, eh?

9. DaDakota

Garuba is:

A plus passer
    A good 1v1 defender
    A good FT shooter

Garuba also is:

Average at best rebounder
    Average at best rim protector

Garuba really needs:

A terrible shooter.
    Doesn't always bring it in games

He is only 20, so there is time, but man, If he just hustled every game he would be so much better......

DD

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What stats are you using to justify these?

Garuba's rebounds per 36 last season was 12.5, his rebounding per 40 minutes in FIBA is 12.7 (similar to Giannis, and a bit ahead of Lauri Markkanen and Sengun).

Last season, he played quality minutes in his last six games, and averaged 6.4 rebounds in only 17.7 minutes.

I'm not saying he is an elite rebounder, or an elite rim defender, but where are you getting the idea that he is a liability on the board?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just watched the Germany game, Garuba played really smart on both ends. Really impressive for a 20 year old, looked like a seasoned vet.

12. DaDakota

Said average - let's not jump to conclusions to try to make a point that is not contested.....come on man, you have a nasty habit of leaping to conclusions.....stop.

DD

13. MystikArkitect

Dray and Steph both looked bad without Klay. It's why Jabari was such a highly rated prospect. He could be taller and better Klay.

Garuba could very well be our Dray but he has shown anything quite yet. He's got the talent just not the want.

D-rock likes this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

All year?! Why would you want Garuba or TyTy to be banished to the G League for the entirety of the season? Why can't Washington get some burn once your jinx wears off and E-Go is eventually traded for a 1st? Nix better keep the pedal to the metal for a TyTy call up is inevitable. I fully expect training camp to be be a battle at backup PG. I can see Nix winning out initially but that may have more to do with seniority than anything else.

As for Garuba he really only needs to be a star in his role and that consists of doing all the dirty work. Play defense, keep the ball moving, set a million screens and make winning plays. If he adds a reliable corner 3 to his game somewhere down the line then you're looking at a pretty valuable player. There's no good reason for either of these two to toil away with the Vipers for a full year. Our Rockets are still so young and have so many question marks entering a very important rebuilding season. This is after all the final year before those picks convey to OKC. It's of the utmost importance that we see these players can offer at the NBA level.

Corrosion, D-rock, Easy and 2 others like this.
  15. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

he has showed that he can perform very well against players like Wagner, Theis, Markannen, Sabonis, Valanciunas or Sengun. No need for G-League if he stays healthy this year

16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Ye
    Yes he is perfect for a 10-15 minute role. Actually I think he will perform better in the nba in a more structured play than g league.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Everybody wants to be Holic and call their shot first like they get a cookie or something

I’m just enjoying having international players that can compete in these comps, nice way to fill the void until the season starts.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dray is a one-off. Has some Rondo, some Worm, Barkley’s bark and mouth. And all Dray.

Usman a Dray-in-waiting? Nah. Rotational player? Mebbe. Hopefully.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is a drastic difference between saying someone is average, and saying they are "average at best". No one is twisting your words, don't try to be coy.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Very Draymond Green like impact and production.