1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Deshaun Watson's endgame?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Deshaun and his gf met in LA, even though both live in Houston. Guessing he'd take one of the marquee cities (LA/NY/SF) as his ideal landing spots. His agent also reps Ramsey, so could be a nice pairing of clients/stars in LA.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I hear ya - but which bad teams are "transitory"? There are teams like the Eagles, who had a bad year - but most of the NFL's bad teams have been bad for a long time.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

In no way have the Jets shown any commitment to excellence. That’s just a fallacy.

fchowd0311 and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Gotta get out from this front office first and foremost. The grass is not always greener but when the situation has become as toxic as it has, get away and then figure out the rest.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I think Watson "deserves" to play for the Jets. He needs to be the next Sanchize.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

well maybe they will allow Deshaun to dictate that aspect more than the Texans did. Im ecstatic he wants to go there because it should mean a historic return in players and draft picks and because of the same desperation for THAT team to want to win.

I dont care if they Jets win as a team - I hope Deshuan finds some peace in his work life that he lacked here. Im sure once he's moved there will be plenty more incidents that we can kick around and try to place blame.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I’m actually ok with him going there if we take all of there picks this year and next.
    They won’t be good so it just helps the rebuild.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

He thinks he can go play for an owner he trusts and a head coach he respects. Also, while the Jets would not be an elite team with Watson, the Dolphins absolutely would. They have one of the top defenses in the league, and if you plug in Watson instead of Tua or Fitzpatrick, they can easily win 11-12 games a season and compete for home field advantage in the AFC.

UTSA2step likes this.
  9. Damion Laverne

Cal is an idiot and Jack is a liar

No integrity (typical "Christians")

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Typical religious person in general*

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Deshaun is prepared to walk into a worse situation with the confidence that he can turn it around. Speaks to how bad things could have been behind the scenes here and to what he believes he can do. He doesnt need much on offense as he's shown, a coach whom he was linked to as a preference with his sole mission in fixing that defense.

You think the Jets have a winning season sooner than the Texans?

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think the Jets make the playoffs for at least 3 years with Watson

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Okay .. how bout the Texans? When is their next playoff season without Watson?

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Add to that, then not making the playoffs would benefit the Texans.
    The Bills own that division. For the foreseeable future. And as long as Bellichick is there they’re a threat. Miami has talent, if they get any decent QB play they’ll be better than the Jets.
    Deshaun can put up numbers, he showed that this year. It didn’t translate to anything in terms of wins. The Jets don’t have a ton of talent.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on how they draft. But it’s probably not for a while.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He's playing the long game.

What he wanted was to pull the franchise QB card. He wanted to use that to build a culture, with input of the team. I think this is common amongst the best QBs.

I'm sure he had let Cal know this as they had meetings towards the end of the season. Deshaun felt he spoke for his teammates, as the star. As things played out and he was continually less involved, (not taking Hopkins into account even) he grew more perturbed. Then, once Easterby started gaining more and more power, it became more clear we're running a Bible School and not a football team, his frustrations grew.

I think then, former players got in his ear and told him they wasted their careers here. Then it was over as the church was built..I'm sure hiring a jesus freak was the last straw.

If he gets traded, once he does, his price will only set the franchise back for a couple years. And if it's a franchise with cash, they can supplement the lack of top picks with free agents. By time Watson is 28, his team will have all their first round picks, a competent front office structure, a good owner, some new free agents, probably a better scouting department which produces better mid-round picks, and be ready to compete. I'm sure he knows if he's traded he's not going to win anything the next couple years, but at least he'll have a chance with much better ownership no matter where he goes.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sigh. Yup.

Jets fans have AFC Championship games to complain about. We have ... ummm. The KC game? LOL

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Are the Dolphins better with Watson over Tua? Yes. Absolutely. But that's the wrong equation.

Are the Dolphins better with Watson over Tua + Devonta Smith (1.3) + 1.18 + 1.2022 + whatever negative impact Watson has on their cap space and ability to sign players around him? I don't think that's still a clear, "Yes. Absolutely" - do you?

The thing about trading for Watson... it's Watson and broke. He vacuums up much of your capital to improve around him.

primtim24 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

C'mon, look im not here to stand up for billionaires who inherited their wealth.

But the problem with the Texans was BILL O'BRIEN.

Who stuck up for BILL O'BRIEN at EVERY OPPORTUNITY?

Deshaun Watson.

This is reminiscent of Harden "forcing" the Rockets to go all-in for Westbrook, then leaving a year later screwing the rebuild.

I am happy to take the player's sides on things, if they can be consistent and not clearly 1,000% only looking out for themselves. These are team sports, supported by millions of fans.

Don't give me this "I love Houston fans" bullshit.

DW... you should have gone to Cal a year ago, two years ago, and been like "this dude ain't it". Instead you said nothing, waited to sign your huge ass contract, made a big stink about minority hires or something, and then request a trade once a minority is actually hired, but since you aren't calling the shots, you get butthurt.

Nobody wants you to call the shots. You said NOTHING about Bill O'brien for years. Your analysis of organization exec moves is extremely bad.

Idgaf what your end game is. **** off. You'll sit and not play or get paid for years, or they'll trade you for a giant ****ing haul. I won't give a **** either way, as you "waste" your career for some other shittier organization, lol....

Roc Paint and Zen Tabak like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are you from Houston?