1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is comedy to you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Another Brother, Jan 16, 2003.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I like self-deprecating humor on stage. I don't like comedians who use jokes to make the crowd laugh *at* others. I want to laugh at myself, so to speak. Or I want comedian to make fun of himself in a way that we can relate to.

How would you describe Seinfeld?

He's a "Why do *we* do this" type of humor. I like to laugh at myself. It can be done in racial ways, I don't care. But just not trite. I've seen an excellent Jewish comedian at a club that totally made fun of himself in a Woody Allen kinda way. Richard Prior did well with the black/white humor in his stand-up. Eddie Murphy was hilarious.

What I really don't like is comedian who try to get us to laugh at others in a "they are stupid; we aren't" kinda way.

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

great video AB.
    under what name do you peform? i know this is probably a stupid question:eek: but i really do not know, and i thought you where verry funny. If you ever gonna perform in Holland let me know:D. is there a way that i can listen to more of you're shows??

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

:D That's why you're one of my favorites.

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

After I read that, I went into a closet and cried.

How is that not funny?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just didn't find it funny, sorry.

How about this?

"Hey, how're her breasts?"

"Todd, I'm right here."

"Oh...how're your breasts?"

That's comedy. :D

8. Nomar

Nomar Member

Haha. I agree.

9. Buck Turgidson

I clicked. It sucked. No poop anywhere.

Good day to you, sir.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

i just tuned into Star Search. That hispanic comic was so bad I had to log on just to give him a 1. The black woman was hella funny :D

11. Heretic

Heretic Member

I don't find seinfeld to be very funny.

Doug Stanhope is almost the second coming of Bill Hicks. Extremely witty, vulgar, and caustic humor.

I like warped humor, the kind that makes soccer moms and baptists curl up in a corner and cry to jesus.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Definitely comedy makes you think, and poking fun at political people is always a good way to make me laugh...

I enjoy Robin Williams the most, but a short list of other comedians I enjoy include,
    Bill Hicks
    Carlin
    early Pryor
    Dennis Miller (when he's on)
    Bill Maher
    early Murphy
    Chris Rock
    and believe it or not...Dave Chapelle

I like your style AB, dont dumb down to Def Jam style and you should be just fine..

Heretic, Dont feel bad, I dont understand why everyone is gaga over Seinfeld either..the only part of that show I found funny was Kramer..
    also, what is the deal with Larry David?...I find hi9s new show boring as hell...why do yall find it so funny??

13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Martin Lawrence. He's been pretty bad in some of his movies but his stand-up is the best.

14. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

When I think about people I like, it’s mostly Canadian humour, and mostly Canadian Canadian humour, not Americanised Canadian humour like Mike Myers, Jim Carey, Martin Short et al. Hmmm…

Lorne Elliott
    Stuart McLean
    Dead Dog Café
    Nancy White
    Arrogant Worms
    just about any Newfoundland comic is killingly funny, or should I say wicked funny ;)

Robin Williams is always hilarious though
    Christine Lavin
    Some British humour, but not all

AB, we should turn this question around on you. What is humour to you? What differences do you notice in different parts of the US and around the world?

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is comedy to me?

Mitch Hedberg

Well, he is my favorite comic (admittedly, I haven't seen you yet, AB, so he may be unseated :)).

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Base and thoughtless humor will earn you the maximum audience exposure. If you want to think into the mind of the average American, just watch Jay Leno. He's the most classless, ameteur, and perverse comedian out there, yet his show beats Letterman for most of the week (not that Letterman is nonstop top notch quality every day of the week). His long routine usually hits the lowest common denominator yet it's good enough for TV.

Of course, that type of humor will only last 15 minutes unless you own some guaranteed spot like Leno, so the trick is to make several movies during the 14th minute and hopes an acting career pans out....

I loved the clip of yours AB, it was funny and sharp. But sometimes I wonder if my type of humor is the niche and not the mainstream....

17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I forgot to mention Sinbad...anyone who makes fun of growing up in the 70's and 80's has to be funny. I love his bit where he talks about his parents never put the baby in a car seat...that was what the big space by the back window was for....don't leave the baby there too long, they'll get a sunburn...

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i like witt and sarcasm and that kind of comedy that makes fun of things we do or things that happen

ie Seinfield, also like Stephen Wright, Rich Hall (do you know him) and Michael Moore and numerous aussies.

Also like humour in songs, great aussie comedy act called Tripod are excellent at topical humourous songs (i can email you some)

AB - funny heckling story, an australian comedian called Wil Anderson also does a morning radio show here, saw him live a while back and he tells the story of a fellow comedian who was performing at the Edinburgh comedy festival, this comdian is a rather large man (obese), just after he walks on stage and is about to start and all is silent, some Scot in the back yells out "Why are you so fat"

and he replies

"Tell your Mum to stop giving me biscuits after sex"

not surprisingly the guy was silent.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

like your stuff in the video AB, any chance the Smeggy World Tour can add an AB show to the Itinery???

PS I presume you can help make my wedding speech funny!!!

20. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Agreed, and yet his writers make over 100k per!

...is one of my favorites too.

I've actually found that American comics condescend. Canadians are usually more cerebral. Englishmen are more physical.

I actually did Def Comedy Jam three years in a row, Russell Simmons was my first manager. Although I achieved success on the TV show, my subject matter was received poorly on the tour (Def Jam).

Thanks anyway:)
    Jeff didn't do as well as I know he can, I fully expected him to win. The black woman did well, I was plesantly surprised. "Liz Taylor thinks Michael Jackson is Audrey Hepburn!" LOL!

In my opinion...

George Carlin is a caricature of his former self.

Robin Williams is the biggest joke thief in the business.

Dave Chapelle is the most underrated comic working today.

HeyPartner is weird...

...ah hem

:D