1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Clint Capela's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 28, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF? Capela is already a sure thing, why would trade Capela, #18 and 2017 for a top 7 pick that isn't even guaranteed to be Hezonja? What if Hezonja goes 6th? What if Hezonja decides he doesn't want to come to the NBA? What if Hezonja sucks when he gets here, and he gets beaten down by Harden, Ariza, Brewer and the rest of the SF/SG rotation? It's a bit different from big men since skilled Euro guys can make an impact in the watered-down NBA, but guards and SFs in the league are all about athleticism, Hezonja can look good against Euro swignmen but I don't know how he'll fare against the freak wings of the NBA.

If DM did this he'll never look back...because he'd be fired so for being so dumb LOL.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed. Capellas value is more for the Rockets than any other team. And he isnt unique in that regard. Its not a slight against him. Many teams feel the same about their own unproven rookies and sophomores.

If he is traded which I highly doubt it would be only as piece in a big trade for a star. Not alone.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Trading Capela for anything short of a no-brainer "superstar" type return would be idiotic. And DM isn't idiotic.

Young, big, defense first, upped his play in the playoffs (whereas the rest of the bench generally disappeared), and most importantly super cheap.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Capela is close to 7 feet with shoes with tremendous length and athletic ability. I suspect that he also has soft hands (catching all those bounce balls, just imagine Asik catching them, lol). Why would Morey trade him?

The problem is similar to D-Mo's progress last year. Other GMs also noticed the substantial improvement. Like D-Mo, Capela will be sought in any trades with other teams.

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Before you ask yourself what Capela's trade value is, you must first ask what Joey Dorsey's "keep" value is.

Therein lies your answer.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

considering dwight's knee, i'd say capela is one of our most important players.

i wouldn't trade him unless it was in a package for a legit star.

7. basketballholic

1. Because Capela isn't a sure thing.
    2. Because I like the idea of adding Hezonja, a max free agent, and having the residual cap space to add another max free agent next summer better than Ariza, #18, and Capela and possibly a near max free agent next summer. And also because if KD is traded, Hezonja will most likely represent the most value in trade that OKC can get for him.
    3. Didn't say I would trade for a top 7 pick without Hezonja being there. I would make the trade if Hezonja is there though.

What ifs, eh? If only we knew all the "what ifs" beforehand. What if we don't make the trade and Capela suffers a season and career ending knee injury? What if Ariza looks terribly slower next season, his 12th season in the league? What if Ariza's shooting continues to fall off as he ages? What if Capela gets caught smoking dope during the summer? What if Hezonja turns into a superstar as a rookie and blows the league away? What if the combination of Harden/Dwight/Hezonja/DMo is enough to entice a big time free agent to join us this summer for the cost of writing a check?

You gotta recognize talent when ya see it. Thaz all I'm say'n about that.

No he wouldn't. You don't know Les.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

Capela reminds me of Dwight. Basically zero offensive skills and zero jump shot but capable of being a monster defender and rebounder.

You want a versatile and diverse roster. Capela is redundant to Dwight. Just like TJones is redundant (and lesser) to Smith. Morey needs to eliminate the redundancy and get us some more bigs with actual range so it'll give McHale more weapons to use in the playoffs.

Imagine if we had a stretch 5 to bring Bogut to the perimeter so Harden could drive to the bucket easier.

9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

how do you know Capela is zero on offense when he never worked on his offense yet and at 20 Capela has untaped potential and could learn imo.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Dwight has knee on knee is 30 and has a player option next year. Capeĺla is not redudant at all.

11. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

jeez. let the kid pan out.

I've loved what I've seen from him so far. why even entertain the thought of trade. about time we had a diamond in the rough.

12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

That's not how the NBA works defensively anymore. People don't just sit in - pardon by Bill Raftery impression - Man2Man unless it plays to their strengths.

In your example, GSW would see significant incremental deterioration in their defensive efficiency if they had Bogut come out of the paint. Logically, they would either move to a zone look or live with a "Stretch 5" (b/c you know, just like Unicorns and black swans, they are everywhere) taking a shot vs taking their defensive anchor out of the paint.

Again, no one is claiming you need/want to play them side by side for 20 mins a game. There is no redundancy if they aren't in the lineup together. Moreover, we are a PnR team with a focus on finishing strong or taking 3's. So all of those lobs and gimme's that our bigs converted in the playoffs to absolutely wreck the Mavs and get the Clips in foul trouble....you'd prefer the theoretical "Stretch 5" shooting 22 footers?

We will agree to disagree.

No one is going to give us what we should (and I do) realistically feel Capella is worth. And the price you'd have to pay to acquire a replacement nullifies any necessity to move him.

This thread needs some CLOSsurE love. Emphasis intended.

13. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

His trade value is not high enough to trade him at this point. Next year he will be a developing rotational player that will spell Howard for 10-20 minutes a game. He's proven that he has natural talent and hard work so there's no reason to give up on him. With that being said, you absolutely trade him to land a stud PG or stud PF if that's what it takes.

I think this is a good question for discussion, but the kid just passes the eye test with what he did this first year. He's probably worth more to the Rockets as Howard injury insurance. He's also insurance in the case that Howard and the Rockets have a falling out.

If you wait 2-3 more years, his trade value might be 15x more than what it is today.

14. PeppermintCandy

Capela had a really nice developmental season capped with some impressive play in the postseason. But if he can be packaged to get a top 10 draft pick, you gotta do it.

I see Capela turning into a fine bench big, like a Dalembert. Nothing wrong with that, of course, and maybe he turns out to be much more than that, as many posters seem to believe.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Give me a "redundant" Dwight Howard to back up Dwight Howard on a rookie salary for the next 3 years any day of the week.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

1. Capela isn't a sure thing, but at this point he's more sure than Hezonja. Hesonja hasn't even played 1 NBA minute, at least you know Capela would be a backup C at minimum.

2. You're only getting rid of Ariza, 18 and Capela who makes like 1M that's like 10M tops how's that comparable to two max contracts? I'd like having 4 max contracts and a lottery pick too but the last team who tried it ended up with 120M in payroll. So your comparison is pretty silly because the $$$ just doesn't match up. Ironically in terms of trade value Capela+18>Hesonja by himself. I mean who the hell is Hesonja? He is a 20 year old in Europe who couldn't even beat out the starters for the position, why is he rated highly than the 21 year old Center athletic freak who was able to play backup effectively in the NBA PLAYOFFS? Hesonja even has buyout problems, he signed a 7 year contract with Barcelona and would have to pay 2M Euros just to go to the NBA. You think he'd pay like half his salary as a rookie (before taxes) to play in the NBA?

3) Your trade idea loses so much value the only way you should do it is if Hesonja will become a superstar. Anyway you seem to be extremely high on so many random players in this draft like Hesonja, Payne etc. we'll see next season how each of them compares to both Capela AND the 18th pick we'll get.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Wow

So much ignorance in one post. You expect a 20 year old to beat the other sgs in BARCELONA? Lmao you obviously have no idea how the european teams work. Even that he was in Barcelonas mens team at that age was a testament to his tremendous talent.
    And yes hes 100% coming over. Not a question about it.
    And capela +18 wpuld make the other gms laugh and block Morreys number.

I wouldnt make that trade if I was Morrey but you are acting like Hezonja is a scrub and Capella is the second coming of Hakeem. Of course not a single Gm of a top 10 team wouldnt make such a trade either.