1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Clint Capela's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 28, 2015.

1. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I agree, I tried explaining to him earlier since I watched all of Capella but apparently he wants him traded and worth a 2nd rounder to him

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

There was a sequence where he blocked a shot in a way to tip it to himself then pass it out for fast break in which he got the lob. On the next possession he fakes right but was smart enough to pass the ball to a cutting Rocket for an easy layup rather than be contested all in a split second. He's within the elite few big men with exceptional timing: Tim Duncan / Hakeem ....

3. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Wow I'm kind of surprised many of y'all undervaluing him here. I was expecting homers to be top 5 consensus already.

Right now he's probably in the 10-14 range if I had to guess (Asik's range prior to the Pelicans). By end of next year I think he will be a top 5 value. There's no way in heck Morey will trade him away now because his potential is through the roof.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

It really is amazing. He is clearly obsessed with the game. It's incredible, in light of that, how incredibly off his takes are.

As for Capela, while nobody is truly untouchable, when you have this kind of talent on a rookie contract and you've just seen him show remarkable and completely unexpected poise at 20 years old, getting his first real minutes in the critical run up to the playoffs and during them. And jopat wants to trade him for as low as the 30th pick? That might be the most insane thing he's ever posted here and that is saying a LOT.

Is there still an opportunity to pay cash money for this wrongheaded misinformation? Because nobody does it better.

jopat reminds me of Monica on Friends when she learned she gave terrible massages and was cheered up when Chandler said she was the best bad massage giver. jopat is the best at bad basketball takes. Even better than Da Dakota at them if I may be so bold. Given all the bad takes out there, this is something of a real accomplishment. To be the absolute worst at something is really a thing. I hope he makes a lot of money from it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Funny how a season changes things.

I remember going nuts last year that the Rockets wasted a first round pick on a guy no one knew about and wouldn't be contributing to the team anytime soon.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Because most rockets fans are unaware of how good or bad non-rockets players actually are. They don't watch or pay attention to much basketball other than the rockets

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Before being traded to the Rockets, I would say McDaniels was one of the top 5 rookies. And Capela has proven more valuable to this team.

8. dmoneybangbang

I think the issue he is more valuable to us, outside of a trade package with an elite type player. He is a raw, but full of potential, soon-to-be-sophomore on a great contract.

Besides his poise and and good looking free throw form that just needs thousands of reps, he can cover the court well with his long arms from paint to 3 pt line.

However, he still needs fine nourishing and polishing that most other times wouldn't fine attractive save for a few.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Yes Capela has shown a lot of promise, and I am sure most fans would want us to keep him and groom him into a star. Granted he plays behind Dwight, but I imagine he'll get heavier rotation minutes next year.

I think Capela's trade value is pretty decent considering his play time in the playoffs. He's a young promising big who can finish at the basket (rare to find apparently). I'm sure he could net you a lotto pick, since the other team knows more of what to expect with him than some random rookie from college.

I don't know he's worth any big name players straight up obviously, but he's definitely going to sweeten the deal if you're throwing Jones/DMo/Pelis pick for a big time free agent. I honestly would hate to see him go, but as some have commented, I'd let him go if I knew the player we're bringing back could get us further into the quest for a chip.

I'd rather sign a bunch of 1 and done players to win a chip followed by years of suckiness as opposed to having a good 4-5 year run of playoff basketball. The land of mediocrity extends past not making the playoffs in my opinion.

10. basketballholic

If Capela can net us a lottery pick, I say trade him for the lottery pick, then package the lottery pick, #18, and our 2017 pick for a top 7 pick. Take Hezonja and never look back.

Draft Rishaun Holmes at 32 to replace Capela. And roll into free agency looking for a PG.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Your are undermining your own argument. 41.5 wins and 10th in the West is equivalent to the 13th pick. That's a more realistic expectation for that pick.

It doesn't seem likely that a team that finished with the 10th pick with numerous injuries would get worse with the addition of Omer Asik, and the 3rd year of Anthony Davis.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good post, guy. I'm not sure I would trade one championship for years of sucking rather than 4 to 5 years of WCF and years like this. Probably so, but it is very hard to practically guarantee a championship regardless of who we get.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think I was most impressed that he implied that he gets what he likes because his opponents are backup bigs but that he isn't a backup big himself.

Capela is like a $1.3m cap hit for the next 2 years, and it seems this team wants cap space going into 2016-17

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So we trade Capela who at this point is about as sure a thing to be a star as Hezonga, a mere untested Euro, #18 and our 2017 pick? Then take an even riskier Rishaun Holmes (never seen him mentioned) and then we hope to get a PG after giving up a good part of our assets.

Talking about risk tacked onto more risk.

15. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Please read the original post and not just the contextually-restrictive reply. The operative word was "lottery".

Moreover, I'm just telling you what the expected value was. The origin of the discussion was based around Capella's value and some - IMO - materially low-balling. My contention was if Asik was worth an expected value - in a normal distribution - of a lottery pick then Capella was worth at least that.

Different strokes for different folks (and teams in this case). The Pels were under enormous pressure to win-now, so a team in that position would be willing to sacrifice a bit more - on the margin - than a lottery bound team.

The point still remains: The Pelicans were not expected (by the masses, argue if you wish, facts are facts) to make the playoffs. That's the pick the Rox got for O. For the ~ 5 teams on the playoff bubble, and the ~ 5 real championship contenders Asik's value > Capella's, inclusive of salary-cap ramifications.

For the other ~ 20 teams, Capella's value exceeds Asik's b/c of a multitude of factors including age, potential, and salary-cap ramifications.

16. atwood

atwood Member

His trade value could only rise higher as he gets to play more minutes at a regular base.

No way he will be packaged this summer, unless you are talking about the biggest fishes on the market.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Yes yes math. But the teams the REAL teams that play on the court are not numbers. And the pelicans even if they didnt make the playoffs would not be top 10 lottery. Not when there is the East having bellow .500 teams making the playoffs every year. And the draft isnt a hypothetical value either. The draft is in 24 days and everyone knows the prospects. And a 14 pick in THIS draft is much lower value than a top 10 pick. Because at 10 is where the potential star tier ends and the tier of rotational /role player begins.
    And Asik is a win now piece. Capella is not. And a team that is willing to trade a top 10 pick will not do it to rebuild, they will do it if they are in win now and they dont want to take the risk/ time to develop a raw player( like Capella).
    Not to mention that most teams in this years lottery top 10 have centers and would have no interest in Capella.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's common to have this reaction because realistically speaking very few big men make an impact in the NBA, even guys who are consensus top picks like Thomas Robinson who looked like he would be a guarantee double double machine as a pro turn out to be busts, and Capela is a 21 year old extremely raw prospect who has been playing in Europe.

However upon seeing how well the kid did in the D League (which is tougher than the NCAA) and in short stints this season only a total nimrod will give him up, especially for a team like the Rockets how are supposed to get blue chip talent like Capela? I keep repeating his age because at 21 this is the worst Capela we will see, he hasn't lifted, he hasn't grown accustomed to the NBA speed and he hasn't had the time to develop big man skills. In 3 years he'll only be 24, around the same age as some NCAA seniors, but he'll already be miles ahead in development compared to this year. It all depends on his work ethic, but if he puts in the average work ethic that an NBA player should we're seeing a guy who should be just below the very best big men in the NBA.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well it's good for us, that Capela is not highly valued. Once he gains strength, without losing his quickness, explosive lift and improves his free throws, his value will go up greatly. And if he develops a reliable jumper, in a couple of years, than watch out.

The results with Dream on the low block will take much more time, but that is to be expected with a raw player like him. His defense should improve next year, with more experience. The kid just needs to keep on working hard every day, consistency will come with time.

20. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I wouldn't trade Capella for anything short of a top 3 pick this year. And no one is going to give us a top 3 pick for him. I don't think anyone would even give us a 5-10. So we're happy with him and, they are happy playing their luck on an unproven draft commodity. All's well that will end well when CCap becomes the destroyer of worlds a few years down the line.

We have a superstar center with uncertainty about his knees and back. We use our center to run PnR's and be the last line of defense as a rim-protector. Given those facts, CCap is worth more to us than he's going to be worth to almost anybody else. A young, cheap (contractually), athletic, big who can run the PnR and protect the rim. We would have to pay a pretty price to acquire that. Glad he's ours.

1 person likes this.