1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Clint Capela's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 28, 2015.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

^^

I'm not sure that's true due to the fact that dmo only has one more year left on his contract . How many years does Capela have left ?

2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I like that young pg in Orlando with the fuzzy Afro. He can do everything

3. HTine

HTine Member

delete this silly thread. just read one of the first posts saying they'd trade him for a top 20 pick in this year's draft.

silly. so silly i can't articulate a rebutall with anything other than...silly

4. HTine

HTine Member

except shoot. he can't be a Rocket with McHale's system

5. Remlap

Remlap Member

Capela is a keeper. Enough talk about trading him.
    Why trade him for an unknown? (like a draft pick)
    He's shown some promise by being thrown into the fire via NBA playoffs.
    Handled himself quite well for a 20 y/o rook.

How many 'top' draft picks have come into the NBA only to flame
    out and slip away into relative obscurity within a year or two?
    You couldn't fit all the names on the Stanley Cup.

If we could trade him straight up for a top PG like Lowry/Dragic is
    the only way I'd consider it. Otherwise, too much upside for now.

6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Can't shoot? He's not asked to shoot or post up YET, but i've seen him post up in the dleague and like i said, he is really young and has untaped potential for a first year rookie and did great. He will be taught this summer so i'm not crazy but i just happend to watch him more than you probably did.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

Yet you can't seem to remember his name. Decent upside but dude's jumper isn't close to good.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

My bad, was reading a post about Eldrid. I'm really jet lagged...

9. malakas

malakas Member

Capella has shown he can contribute a few minutes in the playoffs and doesn't make mistakes. He has good defensive awareness. He hasn't flashed star potential..yet.
    That's all I have seen from him and any GM who trades a top 10 pick in this draft for him, who hasn't proven anything and is still a huge unknown should get fired.
    At top 10 in the draft you get mostly players with some star potential.

10. Mattician

Mattician Member

Not sure, but I hope the Rockets don't trade him.

11. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Would you trade Capela and Jones for Alex Len?

12. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Agreed. Some of the passes and defensive rotations he made in the post season are highly advanced for a big man at his age. Am I the only one who would like to see him play next to Dwight on occasion? I know he doesn't currently have a jumper, but watching him stick with curry on the perimeter tells me his defensive ability is not just as a back to the basket center.

13. Normalus

Normalus Member

Ban this Phoenix fan :eek:

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think we'll see McHale experiment with the Twin Towers lineup just for kicks against crappy teams next season. The real question I have is will Dwight be held out of B2Bs? If so, that means Capela more than likely will be starting for at least 1/3 of the games. One more reason it's insane to even entertain the thought of trading him.

15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Typical homer reply :)

I'm a Rockets fan first. I have also been following PHX when Dragic was there, but never rooted for them. Prior to a minor injury at the end of the season, Len was developing at a great rate this year, being basically a rookie since his last season he didn't play a single minute because of an injury.

If you put a Capela+Jones for Len proposal out on their board (BSOTS), they would go crazy and ban you. Or at least think you're insane. That's why I tried to really downplay Len's value by giving up only Jones and Capela for him, but I guess even that's too much for uinformed fans who would hesitate to send someone like KPap or Nick Johnson in order to get him.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Only two ways I probably move him for is as part of package for a Lowry PG that would possibly throw this team over the top or a package of #18 and Capela to move up and take a talent like Myles Turner or Kaminsky!!!

17. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Hey, this guy's good! Let's get rid of him!

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't know if I'd trade Capela to move up in the draft. Not unless we moved way up and got a virtual sure thing. Now trading him for a veteran player that's a known commodity like a Kyle Lowry would be tempting, but it would have to be someone that good(i.e. an All-Star).

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Respect your opinion but if Turner or Kaminsky were offered for Capela and #18 pick then that would be a no brainer trade for me, both those bigs can play well on both sides of the court and both have 3pt range.

20. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

This thread has so many illogical, biased, posts that I feel like I'm reading Clutchfans trade thre.....

Ah, Wait. Makes sense now.

We got a first rounder, with an expected value of somewhere around pick number 10 for Omer Asik. Call the normal distribution centered around 8-12 for a 1 year rental of Omer Asik with a friendly cap number.

Star potential? Do you think Asik had star potential? We know exactly what he is and exactly what he's not.

Simple, does a 1 yr rental of Asik on a salary cap friendly number exceed the surplus value of a big-man on a rookie contract for the next several years who is already a rotation piece for a title contender?

It's mind boggling to me how many of you believe that to be true.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

Here's an excerpt: Late first round (21-30) only 6% of picks become stars, and less than half even make it to role player caliber stats.

Dude is 20. Was the second big off the bench for a Western Conference finalist. Assuming he doesn't improve he's already met the median expectation.

Moreover, http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/5/23/8648071/a-look-at-the-last-20-years-of-nba-draft-picks-15-20

20 yrs * 6 picks year = 120 players / 12 all stars = 10% chance of drafting an all-star.

The accumulative averages (a 10 year all-star inflates these materially more than a guy who is 3 yrs and done depresses them, RE: upward bias to the numbers, overstating the median expectation)

Pick Pts Reb Ast
    15 10.2 4.3 2.6
    16 9 3.6 2.1
    17 10.1 4.8 1.9
    18 9.5 4.2 1.7
    19 8.6 4.4 1.3
    20 8 3.8 1.7

Capella is 20. He's 20. He. Is. 20. You want to trade him for those expected values?

We run a PnR offense with one of the best PnR guards of this generation. As a big he doesn't have to shoot to be good-to-great for us. Nevermind that his uber-athleticism has made it so he never really had to work on that aspect of his game. Sky is the limit - until he proves otherwise.

You guys that are ready to cut-bait unfortunately have facts in the way which make your stance untenable - at best - and wrong by any other name.