1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Clint Capela's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 28, 2015.

1. basketballholic

No. I want to trade Capela in hopes that we can trade what we get for Capela, plus 18, 32, plus Ariza for a top 10 pick in this draft. Then use that pick to net us a great looking, young 2-way prospect on the wing next to Harden and the cap space to make stuff happen in 2015 free agency.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You sure do like to speak in absolutes.

None of us know jack-**** about what Morey and company are thinking, and it's been proven over and over again. Guys like cyberx get some of the scoop but nobody knows the inner-thinkings of this organization.

I think he is linked to Dwight in the sense that we need a legitimate backup C to take some of the pressure off of Dwight, and long-term he looks to be an option to replace Dwight if it came down to it.

You said that he was a sight for sore eyes compared to our other bigs, which is true, but he looked pretty damn respectable against some pretty good bigs that the Clippers and Warriors had (for a guy that didn't play this season especially). He passes JVGs walk and chew bubble gum test that so many tall athletic guys fail (see Thabeet, Hasheem or Swift, Stromile) and seems to have a basketball IQ that will help him improve.

3. malakas

malakas Member

What is Capella's trade value...Good question.
    I can say the answer is : More to Houston than to other teams. His value hasn't been solidified enough to have a clear answer in this question.
    It is way too early to make any conclusion one way or another about Capella.

I guess the top value Houston could get is a lottery pick from one team desperate for a center. but really desperate.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Most kids from the 2014 draft didn't have a chance to even play much.
    Right this minute with all the little they have shown Capella is NOT in the top 5. Payton has more value. Saric is balling in Europe and has more. He is also a new "playmaking forward" like all the GMs want at this moment. Nurkic has shown more than Capella as well.

And he wouldn't be able to be a centerpiece in a deal for Lowry beause Toronto has a young center Valanciunas and will have no interest in Capella.

I really like Capella. But don't get overboard.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

cant trade him now, he could be the future center. dwight is at the end of his prime

6. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Ppl seriously think he should be traded? No way, future starting C right there, so much potential!

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Very high on him. Top 10 pick high. What I see is a guy that can defend the rim, cover on the perimeter, and finish. Those are rare qualities.

He just needs time.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He was the 25th pick and he's certainly shown more then anyone thought he would at this point of his career.

People seem to think 7 footers with athleticism are everywhere. They aren't. At least not ones who show a combination of coordination and IQ. He's probably worth more to the rockets then other teams but he's without question first round pick talent.

9. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Why would you trade a 20 year old 7 foot center who has shown tremendous growth in his first season?

1 person likes this.
  10. pass_to_Hakeem

KEEP Capella and trade TJones!! We serious???? Sign Ty Lawson this summer

11. ibm

ibm Member

a lot better question than op's.:cool:

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just want to know how Beverley lost his third E and Capela gained a second L.

13. malakas

malakas Member

No team would trade a top 10 pick for Capella ALONE. Not when you have a chance to draft one of Hejonja, Porginzis, Turner, WCS and Winslow.

14. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I would be devastated if we lost Capela, he has such massive upside and has shown he is grounded and has a desire to work. He could be the answer to Dwight if he opts out at the end of next season, or even if he opts in we have 2 more years and then it's over to this athletic freak

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

Lol. Is this a joke. Henry Sims, Meyers Leonard and Aaron Gordon are not anywhere at all the same kind of player that Capela. I'm not saying Capela is better or those players are better, only that they play different positions or different styles than Capela. They fill different roles.

Ezeli is the only one that is similar. But he is 25.

Still waiting for the 'quite a bit more' that you mention. I am not at all an NBA expert, but the only good, young, big man around the same age that I can think of would be Andre Drummond or Joel Embiid. Drummond is obviously better than Capela and we don't know anything about Embiid. Besides that, everyone I can think of is either older (thus no longer in the 'developing' or 'potential' categories) play a different role on their teams, or have already seemed to be a bust.

Let's not get it wrong. I'm not saying Capela is going to be a superstar or anything. But he has played to his strengths without trying to do too many other things. He sticks to pick and rolls, finishing alley oops and getting offensive rebounds. On defense, he is a rim protector and a rebounder.

This is the exact same roles that Deandre Jordan and Tyson Chandler play on their teams. Capela is not anything like those players, but he can fill a similar role.

At worst, he will be a good backup center- he already did that during the playoffs this year at only 21 years old.
    At best, he will continue to develop and get better and be able to provide something similar to what Tyson Chandler does. He is only 21. This is not a player that we want to get rid of unless the deal is really good.

16. malakas

malakas Member

^ Noel, Gobert Nurkic.

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

As long as he keeps Dorsey off the floor, he's untradeable.

18. xaos

xaos Member

For the record, I thought that Capella was one of the worst NBA players to enter the NBA this year. I knew he was a project and knew it would take years for him to develop. I did not know that it would happen so fast. I do think that given his progress, athletic ability, height, and -- wait for it -- potential... I would trade DMO WAY before Clint. Clint just has that "it" about him.

1 person likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Clint has enormous value right now . Brandan wright was part of a package to get rondo . Capela is younger and has much more upside than wright at this point. Obviously Capela is unproven so much of his value is in how a potential buyer views the upside. Given that it seems his floor is an average to above average backup center on a rookie contract his baseline value is already somewhat signifacant. Given that center is probably the weakest position in the NBA , his upside and potential value is gigantic. Most NBA in the draft have to take a gamble on the mental side of the game . You can apply physical tools and compare how they transfer to pro- ball . However the mental side of the game or " BB IQ" is much harder to project . Capela has demonstrated a strong grasp of defensive principles so much that McHale was willing to give him playoff burn. He looked good in the playoffs despite almost no NBA experience . The combination of his physical tools and intilect make him an extremely promising young big . He is not in the tier of Blake griffin of Anthony Davis . But he has the potential to play like Tyson chandler or Amare stoudamire. From all reports his work ethic is off the charts. If put into the 2015 draft he would likely be one of the top 3-4 bigs off the board .

20. Sanity2disChaos

And there it is.