1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is a thug?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pmac, May 13, 2009.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Typically, the only people I or anyone in my family ever referred to as a thug were career criminals…murders, pimps, thieves, rapists, active gangsters and drug dealers.

I understand that plenty of rappers claim to be thugs and since they dress and act a certain way people associate that with being a thug. So, I see the connection when a guy with cornrows, tattoos, and a temper problem gets called this. I just don’t get how that has become the norm. It’s almost as if the term has just come to mean ‘bad guy’. Is that fair? Is it fair to lump someone who has a bad attitude in with someone who kills people?

I really don’t want to argue back in forth. I want to hear your definition of a thug…not Webster’s, not wikipedia’s…yours.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

A loudmouthed selfish punk who thinks he is so tough that in normal public situations has to resort to a fight/mob mentality.

Whether it be in a mall, a sporting event, or theme park, a thug doesn't care about his elders, a thug will stand up for his rights in a simple argument or disagreement by going all RonRon on his opponent.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

6. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

According to Cleverbot.

User: Is Kenyon Martin a thug?

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: Do you know what a thug is?

Cleverbot: Yes and you don't have one.

User: What is a thug?

Cleverbot: It's like a conversation in your head.

So in conclusion, a thug is conversation in your head.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yes, i know about that DD.

...and that's exactly what i said not to do. I'm interested in YOUR criteria.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

9. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Most thugs aren't proud to be thugs, they live in the streets and do what it takes to survive. But now days you have rappers who clam to be thugs and that they are proud of it, when most likely they haven't done anything they say they did back in their hood. Because of that reason you have kids that want to be thugs because they think its cool and that its a fun life, so then you start having a lot of wanna bes. If you want to see what a real thug is just come to Detroit or any hood for that matter.

I said in the other thread what a thug is, but I guess I'll say it again its a person that rob, steal, and kill. And most thugs don't live to see 25.

10. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Very true, I agree.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i think the term thug became more popularized when tupac and bone thugs and harmony were at their heighth, true enough eazy-e claimed to be a thug and he certainly influemced bone thugs in their personas, since the adoption of the term by tupac and bone thugs and other rappers the term has a double meaning much like the word gangster,

people use the term thug as a word to describe themselves in a positive way, you might not agree that what they believe is positive is truly positive but in their mind and hearts they believe, breaking rules, living without a cause or doing illegal things have their places amongst the term thug and to people who call themselves thugs and people who call other people thugs it means a different perspective

when someone says "that's gangster" they are not trying to be demeaning, but when someone says "that's thuggish" they usually are, but when someone says "i'm a gangster" they are not self demeaning themsleves just like when someone says "i'm a thug"

a thug to me means different things, a rebel, a miscreant, an enforcer, i grew up around the plain old dictionary definition of a thug, i grew up around people who called themself a thug cause tupac did so, when i hear the word thug the first thing i think of is misunderstood, the next thing i think of is that the person calling the other a thug is very judgemental

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

KALI MAAA!!!

[​IMG]

13. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

14. VanityHalfBlack

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

A thug is a person who dresses without regards to fashion, current trends, respect to others, etc., wearing low-class accessories, sporting tattoos, wearing baggy pants, etc., and usually runs his mouth with disregard to morals, social value, or humanity in general.

Yes, basically Eminem. :p

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Interesting...so (in your opinion) a thug is not necessarily a criminal at all but more of someone who is disrespectful, loud, and selfish...a bad guy.

I guess I need to realize that the word just has less weight in some circles.

Please, I would appreciated it if anyone who has a different take contributed to this thread...particularly those who use the term often.

17. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

BANG ZOOM.

bc the whole "THIS" thing isnt doing it for me.

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I dunno about Eminem. I just think you just have to be angry and unimaginative. It's like going to the suburbs and a cookie cutter house but with your mind.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'd also like to get the definition of "Ghetto" as well because I think it's a word thats become as misused as "Thug".

20. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Ok let me see if I can help you.

Ghetto is a place in the hood where theres nothing but poor people mostly black. Nothing really goes on there but a lot of shooting, stealing, killing, robing its really not a safe place to live. Now the term ghetto came from when a person did something that was from the ghetto, and a person would say man you ghetto for that.

Examples
    1. A person goes to the movies, but instead of buying food at the movies he or she would bring cooked food from home like some fried chicken.

2. A person that would use cooking grease for their hair instead of hair grease.

3. A person that would try to eat their cereal with a folk instead of a spoon.

4. A person that is real loud in places where you shouldn't be like a library.

5. A person that will cook everything in a microwave, even if its food you need to cook on a stove.