1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman619, Feb 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If they don't make a good move -- if they can't upgrade the team -- then this season was a failure for them. The Rockets were preparing for this year to upgrade their team with the "assets" they've collected. Meanwhile, there's been a ton of player movement and the Rockets can't get anything done? Not good.

Yeah, he's trying. I'm sure he's putting in long hours and making hundreds of phone calls a day. But the players he's assembled have not met expectations, and apparently aren't valued very much by the rest of the league. If your intention was to stockpile tradeable assets, and you can't get a trade done when there is a huge volume of player movement involving some pretty good players, something is wrong.

2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Don't make a move just to make one; esp a bad one.

We'll have cap space this summer with several free agents that are centers.

Feb. 24th isn't all or nothing.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They will make a under the lux tax move for sure. We will hear how the throw in was someone they've followed for like 3 years.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think this is the first time I've seen you with some pointed criticism towards our front-office. :eek:

I had a feeling our 'trade assets' were overrated (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=197395); I can't honestly say I'm too disappointed so far though. When your plan is to continue on the course of playoffs/success with late lottery picks, you're not going to have the quality assets that teams will look for when they trade their superstars. We had no chance of trumping a Favors offer -- and that's based on where he was drafted, not on how well he's been producing this year.

As far as Gerald Wallace, there's no question in my mind that he's worth an expiring contract + NY 2012 1st. I have no idea if Morey offered this deal and was rejected -- could very well be the case. But at the same time, Wallace pushes us further along that path of mediocrity. I did think larsv8 had a good point about adding more talent, so that when a star becomes available we could potentially offer Martin+Wallace as opposed to Martin+Budinger. However, it seems like in these economic times, most teams prefer the reboot with cutting cost and cheap assets/draft picks.

I won't be THAT disappointed if we don't do anything ground-breaking tomorrow. I don't really think there is anyone out there that's available and could change the course this franchise is headed.. of course, we had no idea Deron Williams was even available so who knows.

The best course IMO, as I've mentioned before, is to get after it during the draft. This draft isn't deep, but there are still some names at the top that look like they could have high ceilings. I don't want to hear "we tried to move up but teams were asking for too much" this year -- THAT will make me mad. If you think a guy has a chance to be a star, 'too much' shouldn't be in your vocabulary for this current team.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who has been traded, save Melo and D-Will, who would been worth an excited (positive, that is) response? Melo was not coming here, or anywhere but the Nixies, and D-Will? Supposedly there was a 3-way in process with Sac but look what Nets could, and did, offer. I would have taken Jersey's deal for shore over any possible three-way with Sac/Rox.

There's still time til the deathline altho I am less hopeful (and more wishful) than I care to be. I fear relevance is as far from The Good Guys as Shanghai is from Houston. :(

6. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Morey you are on the clock, either make a move or I kill this kitten!

[​IMG]

7. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

To me its all about the "assets" that morey has collected. If he can't turn those players into an all star type guy it is a failed approach.

8. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's time to fire Morey; Morey cann't take the Rockets to next step although Morey has done his job good

9. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

This is sad because this is probably the type of trade Rockets management will probably do.

10. Garner

Garner Member

calm down.

11. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

It is never too late to tank.

Tank right now, this minute.

12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

IS the dealine over? What did we get?

13. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

This is a point that seems to be getting glossed over, and it probably shouldn't.

14. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Anyone else having a hard time sleeping... I keep checking clutchfans twice every hour.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AIfX6fu7Cj8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Agreed.... This will be a big time failure on Morey's part. Simply because all the players we have now is the players he brought into this team. He said the players we have are all good trading assets for something big. But the sad thing is, other teams don't value our players as much as we do.

As great as we think of our players, through the eyes of other teams, they're just decent players. Morey traded in most of the players we have today. He believed in them living up to their full potential and milking them as much as he can so he can shipped them out for better players or assets in return. But I'm afraid his plans may back fired. Right now, I don't see any teams biting on what we have.

The worst thing is, Yao's expiring contract isn't as valuable as it was before because of the new CBA rule that might pass. Our players are good but trading them, I doubt we will get equal value in return. So if the ROckets can't get equal value for their players, whats the point in trading them. We all want the Rockets to pull off a big trade that will land us something that will change the face of this team for the better. But most likely its not going to happen because we simply don't have enough attractive pieces to dangle.

Sadly at the end of the day, our best move might be not making a move at all. But if theres any move to be made, it would be small transaction.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh right - that's all they did.

If I recall correctly, they tried hard to make a signifcant move in the C position, but were outpaid in a couple of cases.
    Brad Miller was a good failsafe - a 7' guy who can still contribute offensively

They changed out a major piece of last years team (Ariza) for Lee (not a significant change?)

They brought in a very promising, full sized long armed power forward.

And they're trying to 'upgrade' the roster as it currently stands.

If we don't make a move, then it' not a failure - just a refusal to 'give up' on decent parts just for the sake of it.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Morey has made some pretty good transaction with his short time in Houston. But those transactions are not franchise changing deals. The bad thing with Morey is that he won't take any risk and stick with a safe bet. Thats why the ROckets have been making small deals like trading Ariza for Lee type deals. The only big transaction he made was the Kevin Martin deal but that wasn't the type of deal that determined the direction this franchise is going.

He need to make a big trade, take some risks because right now, I don't even think he knows what direction this franchise is going.

19. pattyking

pattyking New Member

is it meaningless if we can't trade for a superstar.
    average player <-> good player (we already have a roster of good players)
    player with superstar potential+ picks +scrub <-> superstar (1 trade per 3-5 year if luck)
    we don't have good picks and any player close to have superstar potential. Future is dark without tanking. Go become a bandwagon or be happy with what we got

20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Playoffs or bust.

Even if we don't make any moves, the passing of the trade deadline will make us better than we are now, and we have what should be a pretty fluffy schedule to end the season.