1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if we never sign carlos lee.....2009 Astros and what Should Have Been Today

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by eddiewinslow, Jul 2, 2011.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

yes zobrist isnt an all star BUT

Zobrist - 10 home runs
    Luke Scott - 27 home runs
    John Buck(Beltran trade) - 20 home runs

those 3 combined for 57 home runs last season from the catcher,2b, and left field

Want to know what our guys at those spots did last year?

quintero/castro - 6 combined home runs
    keppinger/geoff blum - 8 combined home runs
    carlos lee - 24 home runs

so you can't look at it that way. I agree with letting buck go bc beltran was the right move we were in contention but tejada and aubrey huff were marginal moves that didn't set us back light years, but they set us back enough when realistically they didn't even give us a big boost. The bottom line is Zobrist and Luke Scott would look nice on this young squad we've got now

2. TISNF

TISNF Member

What frustrates me is management could have retooled (not "rebuild") 3-4 years ago without having to part ways with Berkman and Oswalt. Regardless of how they were viewed, they were (And are) still productive pieces that were the face of the franchise, connecting back to Biggio and Bagwell.

It was obvious to many fans, but unfortunately the team put itself back five years at the least. I haven't been following the team much the past three years out of frustration with the management, but I don't presume the farm system is particularly strong.

Sucks to be mediocre -- or worse than mediocre.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're vastly underrating Zobrist, which, btw, is precisely how the Astros got themselves into this mix. In his 3.5 seasons as a full-time ML'er, he's posted a 120, 149, 97 and 127 OPS+ (with 100 = league average). So fairly well above league average all but one year.

And that's, to me, the team's biggest failing: it was completely and totally dumbfounded by its own minor league talent. Trading for a guy like Huff made sense, but giving up Zobrist didn't. Zobrist had posted a .300+ average and .400+ OB% at every single level and had a .907 OPS when they dealt him. He was 25 and stuck in double A in a system with *no* verifiable SS prospects. How did they not value him as an upper echelon prospect in mid-bottling.

Had they been a smart organization, they would have been preparing to build around Berkman/Oswalt with Zobrist and Pence (again: Pence had been pretty dynamic in the minors and should have at least made them pause before dumping a truck full of money in Lee's yard) and guys of that ilk. That was a sustainable plan. But I think the "win now" high of '05 and their own internal incompetence ultimately sank them.

A team of Berkman, Oswalt, Pence, Zobrist with potentially guys like Hirsch, etc., might be a pretty decent team.