1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if we just signed Draymond Green next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 14, 2022.

1. verysimplejason

Nobody will pay him max money but you can be sure it will be near max. That's alright with the Rockets whose most players will be on rookie contract. Just pay Draymond front heavy, in time when those rookie contracts expire. He brings "intangibles" that you won't find so easily on other players. I am betting that GSW won't be the same without him. There's nobody in GSW that can approximate what he brings to the table. Just look at the games were he's missing in the GSW lineup last year. GSW's rotation in defense becomes mediocre without him.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This has to be trolling

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes he brings intangibles and not all of those intangibles are positive and why would we pay him near max?

So we can get the 8th seed?

Do you want him rubbing off on the younger players with his selfish attitude and talking back to any coach when he does not get his way?

We don't have 2 of the greatest shooters in NBA history that can mask his deficiencies.

We have our own Draymond on a cheap contract, Why the **** would anybody think paying Draymond near max be a good idea on this team?

Very simple indeed.

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Getting the 8th seed in 2024 or 26 is substantially better than handing a lottery pick to the Thunder, IMO.

I know it's a sunk cost so it shouldn't matter that much and we have the Nets picks those years, but at some point, tanking gets old.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hell no.

I get where you are coming from in accelerating the timeline, but he is a cancer to young players......do not want.

DD

#66 DaDakota, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

No for Draymond small dick Green here.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

And CF's would want him to be 6th man coming off the bench making $8M.

Not happening. He's going to a ready made contender. Book it.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why is that substantially better and why is better to be tying up major money just to get a 8th seed?

How about all the **** Draymond brings with like continually getting into it with coaches and other players, let's not forget his run-ins with KD how do you think he is going to fit in with KPJ and Green.

You know what gets old?

Being a mediocre team who continually gets their **** pushed in by the 1st seed and with the way the West is shipping up there is guarantee we would even the 8th seed or in the play in by adding Green.

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

xaos, ThatBoyNick, Joe Rocket and 2 others like this.
  11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's too old for us. I would prefer we target free agents in the 26-year-old range.

Plus, I think I read that he wanted to go to the Lakers. His max salary should fit pretty easily into what the Lakers will have available, so I could see that match happening.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Don't drink and post.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I like the young NBA players on my team to stay unassaulted and conscious so no thanks.

theDude likes this.
  15. SamFisher

The incentives for being the 8th seed are much different when you don't control your own draft rights and when you've spent the last 3 seasons in the tank.

The whole thing about avoiding the dreaded "Treadmill to Nowhere" is based on the fact that being bad is better than being medium because of the draft.

When you don't have a draft, being medium is preferable to being bad becuase it's both 1) closer to good and 2) your route to good has to come through FA which is easier with medium rather than terrible.

Also, as a fan, being out of the playoffs more than 3 years really sucks - after 4 years it gets intolerable. I know becuase it happened to Houston in between Yao and Harden.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And it's true, I can give you multitudes of examples.

As a fan getting your brains beat out in the 1st or squeaking out of the 1st and then getting your brains beat out means nothing.

Would rather hope for lottery luck than be 1st round fodder.

17. SamFisher

OKC owns our picks outright in 24 and 26. Lottery luck is no help. Being bad does not help us AT ALL those years.

Rockets basically have to be playoff fringey by next season to minimize the harm.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What's the point of being in the playoffs to get a$$ blasted?

Call me spoiled but I want my team to actually give me hope of winning it all. I hate the fake small victories of just making the playoffs.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. SamFisher

Taking a swing with the 8th seed is better than tanking a season and taking a 0% spin at the lottery wheel when you don't have a first round pick.

You can surely argue tanking vs. contention as a fan. You can't argue "reward free" tanking w/no picks v. contention.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are those picks "top 4 protected?" I think I read that somewhere. That would be a caveat worth thinking about. There's always a chance, a slim one, to be sure, but a chance that we might suck for some bizarre reason. Like if Dray laid waste to our top players due to the guys in a group calling him a b**** or worse. Otherwise, yes, OKC has those two picks.

jiggyfly likes this.