1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if we had Gilbert instead of Tracy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 24, 2008.

?

How many playoff series would we have won?

1. 16 (4 championships)

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 13-15

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. 9-12

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. 5-8

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. 1-4

49 vote(s)
    62.8%
  6. 0

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Member

Suppose over the last 4 seasons we had Gilbert Arenas instead of Tracy McGrady. How many playoff series would we have won?

16 won => 4 championships
    >12 won => at least 1 championship
    >8 won => at least one Finals appearance
    >4 won => at least one Conference finals appearance
    >0 won => at least one second round appearance
    0 won

Edit:

Forgot the 0 won option on the poll above. Disregard it.

To clarify: the point of this thread is to consider, hypothetically, what this team would have accomplished if they had Arenas instead of T-Mac. Let's assume essentially the same team otherwise. Would we have been more or less successful? If we had the same failures, does Arenas get the same blame that T-Mac has received?

#1 durvasa, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Gilbert=closet cancer

3. Northside Storm

A better question would be what if Washington had Tracy instead of Gilbert...

I think that goes more into what you're looking for.

4. sbyang

sbyang Member

People make fun of Tracy, half man, half a season. Gil hasn't even played in like 2 years! He's like Steve Francis without the mystery surrounding his injuries.

5. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Very poor quality thread coming from a normally above average poster.

Do not compare what Eastern Conference teams do in the playoffs to how the West has stacked up in terms of playoff matchups for the past 5-6 years. Not to mention McGrady has been a phenomenal playoff performer given what he has had around him.

The correct answer is 0.

6. Lovemachine2000

IMO this is a dumb thread...

And Arenas is not a winner and never will be one.

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

Maybe. My impression is that Arenas is one of the most popular players in the league, while T-Mac might be one of the most criticized. And yet, I see no reason to think we'd be a better team the last 4 years if we had Gil instead of Tracy. Does that make Arenas just as much a loser as Tracy?

I guess I was just thinking about how Arenas has been missing tons of games the last couple years with that knee injury. Imagine what we'd be doing here if Tracy was missing all those games.

8. Arvid

Arvid Member

Arenas is also a ball-stopper. A better poll might be what if we had Ray Allen?

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Looking into stats too much. McGrady is a much superior raw talent to Gilbert Arenas but has less than half the work ethic of Gilbert... that's what gets on peoples nerves. Say what you want about Gilbert's eccentricities, he is an animal who will stop at nothing to better himself as a player.

10. durvasa

durvasa Member

Crap, I meant to put 0 as a poll option. What the hell? I thought I did.

Anyways, I screwed it up. If a mod can add it, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise ... nevermind the poll.

11. baller4life315

Out of curiosity where did this come from? There are too many variables. For instance, we made the Battier trade to take pressure off T-Mac. Do we still make that deal with Arenas? Also, what do we give up to get Arenas? The same Francis/Mobley/Cato package or what?

Maybe i'm thinking too much but I can't just play the "swap" game without taking all factors into consideration.

12. Emma

Emma Member

It makes no difference replacing a fragile man with another one

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

tracy has had a more established career than gilbert. for a stretch of 5-6 years, tracy was easily a top 5 player and a stretch of 2 years where he was arguably the best player in the L. gilbert has never had that reputation.

when you are regarded higher, you are criticized more. it goes with the territory.

it's like carmelo has lost 4 playoff series, and none have been close. but you never hear anything about that.

if tracy won a ring already, his stature would be much higher than what it is right now (much higher).

14. durvasa

durvasa Member

I'm not sure how what I said has anything to do with stats. You think we'd have had more playoff success the last years with Arenas rather than T-Mac?

15. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Arenas > Tmac.

16. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

0 wins.

I will constantly bash him until he is traded.

17. conquistador#11

durvasa, did your PC's fan stop working, leaving your hard drive in ruins? Stats all lost? :p

18. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

"I guess I was just thinking about how Arenas has been missing tons of games the last couple years with that knee injury. Imagine what we'd be doing here if Tracy was missing all those games."

Stats as in the number of games each player has missed... this is just a very awkward thread that will go nowhere. I'm sorry.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

McGrady is a better playoff performer, a better playmaker.
    Arenas is a media based player. He loves spotlight more than his team.

20. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

This thread is stupid and pointless