1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if...stocks/election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonkeyMagic, Nov 4, 2008.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama was falling fast and McCain seemed to be taking control...then the stock market crashed. SInce then Obama seemed to regain his control.

Was the market crash the best thing that ever happened to Obama? Seems, to me, like that really turned out to be a huge obama advantage. anyone else agree?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Absolutely a big factor in how this has happened.

But I think we're going to end up with a margin so large tonight, that we're going to have a very difficult time ascribing ONE cause.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, I think it forced people to look deeper at the policies of dergulation versus moderate regulation.

And with the collapse they saw how dangerous full deregulation can be, because Trickle down fails.....for the most part the people in charge just keep the money themselves.

DD

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think some of it got to do with palin. I mean do your really want sarah palin anywhere near the white house?

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Definitely a good thing for Obama. The campaigns were rapidly degrading to silly nonissues and bickering. The economic collapse forced the issues back onto the front burner.

As long as actual issues are being discussed, mccain is toast.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The market crash definitely helped Obama for two reasons:

1) The generic, meaningless concept of 'change' sounds better to the low information voters
    2) The election became more of a referendum on Bush, which helps the challenger party

Obviously Obama's policies of higher taxes and greater government influence in the private sector would cripple the economy. But most Obama voters don't understand this and never will.

7. Major

Major Member

The market did help in that it refocused the campaign on the economy, just as the Georgia-Russia thing helped McCain in that it focused the campaign on foreign policy. But that said, Obama was never "falling fast". Here's the polling trend:

http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/08-us-pres-ge-mvo.php

He had a slight dip from the Palin/RNC stuff - but that's normal and expected. Historically, you get about a 6 pt bounce from that, which fades over several weeks, and that's exactly what happened there. That was the reason the Obama campaign never panicked (despite his supporters' panicking).

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Palin did him in for most moderates, at least the ones like me who were riding the fence. Palin is too much like Bush in her ideology and mannerisms. Palin is a poor man's GW.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You are completely correct. Water trickle down money trickle up that's the fundamental law of physics!

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe. But regulation was coming no matter which candidate, imo.

I don't really buy that too much. true, Palin as taken a lot of flack and hatred (i'm not completely sure why other than she's an "easy target). But i'd rather have an unexperienced/unkown VP than an unexperienced/unknown President.

true but I think it (the drastic stock drops) is where the most distinct line in the sand was drawn. Mccain just seemed to lose a lot of momemtum

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You are right, that was the real turning point of this election. It was all down hill for Mccain after that.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, but it is hard to trust the guy who deregulated in the first place....to actually change directly.

I can see your point, but only if the President is young and vibrant, the fact that McCain is so old and has a history of cancer means he should have picked a more experienced VP candidate, like Obama did.

Agreed it was a factor, but not sure it was THE factor....I do think it got people to basically ignore race though.

DD

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It was a turning point... but not because of the stock market crash, but because of how the candidates handled the stock market crash. Obama was the cooler head by far and after 8 years of Bush, people saw what McCain did and decided against 4 more years of that stuff.