1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[What if?] How do you build the team to compete if Harden agrees to come back this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, Feb 20, 2023.

1. shocky2002

shocky2002 Member

It was a fake quit to get us assets. He always knew he would return one day.

Tfor3 likes this.
  2. jb86

jb86 Member

Draft Wemby if we get the #1 pick. Play him at the 4.
    Move Jabari to the 3.
    I would pick up James in free agency.
    Trade for PJ tucker so that he can teach these young guys how to be dogs.
    Pick up Pat Bev for the same reason.
    Get another big like Andre Drummond.
    Fill out the team with vets that have champions pedigree that’s willing to teach the younger guys.
    Some of the guys will be traded tho. I would keep KPJ, JGreen, Jabari, Tari, KJ, and JC.
    Of course we have to bring in a coach with some championship pedigree as well. If Tillman really wants to win, he will put that money up to do so. I’m talking paying luxury tax if he has to. I bet he won’t do it…

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Unfortunately, and despite your bias, i think Jalen, Jabari and yes, KPj benefit the most from Harden, but i think KPj stands to grow the most learning from backing Harden up rather than playing next to him as Bari and Jalen would.
    I think it's Alpi that doesn't find a place in the starting lineup. You need a long athletic defensive front court(to make up for Harden/Jalen or KPj weak defensive backcourt)that Bari absolutely can be while also benefiting from his shooting that he can and will find again-as Harden will get him more clean looks. KPj is a good catch and shoot player, but I think you need Wemby/Bari/Tari(length/shooting/+high energy blue collar worker in Tari) with a Jalen and Harden backcourt(Jalen providing slashing/attacking with the 3 outs and Harden running point). KPj learning from and being mentored by Harden as his backup and bringing a similar type of style when Harden rests would be the better move IMO.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wemby + Sengun + Jabari + Green + Harden
    KJ + KPJ + Tari + Garuba

That is a 50 Win team IMO

Rocket River

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sure, that's definitely a plausible approach. #cancelTilman

6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Oh god please no. Thank god ur not a gm

7. fattz

fattz Member

Once upon a time I loved my ex. I don’t wish ill but don’t want to repeat either.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Here’s my off season rebuild

Fire Stone, let Silas walk, bring in accomplished and proven talents at both positions.

The odds favor us landing #4 or 5 over a top 3 pick in the draft so im going to assume Wemby/Scoot/Miller are gone by the time we pick, and whoever we pick likely starts the season on the bench. Draft one of the Thompson twins for the upside, Walker, Black, Dick and Whitemore all look like fine prospects but I’m not seeing any super high upside at first glance.

Trade the clips pick for a future pick

Trade Tate and Christopher for Lowry

Waive Nix

Waive and stretch Porter across the maximum allowable years.

Sign Brook Lopez to a 2/40 1+1 TO

Sign Cam Johnson to 3/80 just to bust the Nets balls and land a solid 3&D shooter with size

Lowry / Washington
    Green / Thompson
    Johnson / Martin
    Smith / Eason
    Sengun / Lopez / Garuba

Fill out the final 4 spots with good locker room vets and a undrafted player or two.

End the clown show up in Houston

Aruba77 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Alpi would be on the 1st thing smoking.. He wouldn't fit with Harden whatsoever..

10. monster

monster Member

1. Re-sign Harden to a 1 day contract.
    2. Retire him and his number.
    3. Move the F on!!!

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m not understanding why the Rockets shouldn’t want Harden

he is an All-Star level PG/top tier playmaker who would make the team and all the young guys better

This cap space is gonna get spent one way or another. You’d rather they spent it on D-Lo or some other mediocre player in this weak free agent class?

12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

We can sign another Star with our cap space.

13. jb86

jb86 Member

What do you suggest?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Because by the time the Rockets will likely be ready for a deep playoff dive, Harden will probably be breaking down.

Harden is still a top 20 player in the league, possibly top 10; but I don’t think he will be in 2-3 years… and then they will still be paying him after that as well.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, I am fine with Harden coming back to be a "bridge" to a new era. Cap room certainly can be spent worse than using it on Harden as the PG of this team to help our young players get good shots. Think of it like CP3 in Phoenix. Just having some organization on the court would be HUGE for the young player's development.

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

If you've got Harden you better make sure you have 4 lock down defenders around him otherwise, forget it. I think you pretty well nailed it here on that end. You know you're playing 5 on 4 on defense with James so this crew outside of Sengun seems like it could cover his inadequacy on that end I just think Draymond isn't quite enough on the offensive end.

You'll be leaning heavily on Sengun and Bridges to carry the offense and I'm not sure that's the best option. Bridges is solid but can he carry a team? Eh. Can Sengun? Eh. Green? Hell no. Eason? Not yet. Harden? Definitely not anymore. So my concern is the team isn't as potent offensively as it needs to be even with Green and Smith coming off the bench with how inefficient chuckers they are. Looks good on paper but not sure it gets the Rockets to the promised land.

17. PWR

PWR Member

Don't want Harden back. He and Lil Baby can stay in Philly.
    • Sign Quin Snyder for Head Coach.
    • Trade Tate & 2 future 2nd rounders for Grant Williams (41% from 3).
    • Trade KPJ, Clippers 1st rounder, & 2 future 2nd rounders for Tyus Jones (37% from 3).
    • Trade Jabari Smith, KJ Martin, & 2 future 1st rounders for Mikal Bridges (40% from 3).
    • Trade Usman Garuba, Josh Christopher, & 2 future 2nd rounders for Kelly Olynyk (41% from 3)
    • Free agent signing of Seth Curry (42% from 3).
    • Pray for Victor Wembanyama with the #1 overall pick.
    New Rockets 9 man rotation (5 sharp shooting vets + our 4 young core players)..
    • Tyus Jones(37% from 3)
    • Seth Curry(42% from 3)
    • Mikal Bridges(40% from 3)
    • Grant Williams(41% from 3)
    • Kelly Olynyk(41% from 3)
    • Victor Wembanyama
    • Jalen Green
    • Tari Eason
    • Alperen Sengun

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

worst case he is like CP3 several years from now who hasn’t been close to a top 10 player since being in PHX, but he is still vital to their success

these young guys are in desperate need of a high BBIQ floor general and playmaker…Harden is arguably the best in the league at it

Tfor3, Nook and Rocket River like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I have a lot of respect for your views.

I don’t think it is a disaster unless it’s 5-6 years.

Harden is still a very good player and is possibly the best passer in the NBA, he has no problem setting players up. He can still score really well but wears down.

If the Rockets end up with Brandon Miller…. Harden, Green, Miller, Smith, Sengun would be an interesting line up. I don’t think the defense would be good enough but offensively that line up is capable of being very dangerous.

HP3 and Deuce like this.
  20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

IMO If the draft Wemby and sign Harden then they have to look for a 3. Bridges, OG, or Middleton would be my top targets in that order. I hate the idea of Middleton but I can’t find anyone else who fits the bill and is attainable.

Dream Scenario:
    Draft Wemby
    Sign Harden
    Trade KJ, JC, 2023 LAC FRP, and all BKN picks/swaps for Bridges (I’d like to hold onto some of the BRK picks or swaps if possible. Maybe provide them with top 5 protection on the swaps or something like that)

Harden/Washington
    Green/KPJ
    Bridges/Tate/Tari
    Wemby/Smith
    Sengun/Garuba

Sign a FA for 3rd string PG and Center. Maybe bev and idk… McGee :rolleyes:
    See what role players work during the first half of the season and adjust as needed.

*after writing this I am starting to like the OG route more simply bc it would allow the Rockets to retain some of the BRK picks. Retaining some assets might be important at the trade deadline.
    ** hopefully Smith doesn’t throw a fit being asked to come off of the bench. Due to Wemby’s frame, I’m concerned he could miss some time and having Smith as a back up would be nice to have.

Y2JT likes this.