1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Houston's 1973 rail referendum passed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Houston will probably start to suck if we keep taking in 300,000 new residents a year; but for now it's perfect.

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Very interesting. I like that website since urban planning is one of my interests.

Speaking of people within my social circle, the biggest resistance to expanding mass transit/rail into their neighborhoods comes from fear of all low-income people regardless of ethnicity. A few of them have reversed their opinion after using the public transit systems in Chicago and Portland as well our light rail. Most people realize that a true world city will have more than one international airport and several modes of transportation like bicycles/heavy rail/light rail/BRT/car/motorcycles or scooters/etc. These things aren't cheap, but that's the price you pay for more growth and productivity and less carbon emissions. Not having heavy rail in a city our size is like not having a good pair of work boots in your closet.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We'd probably have much higher transit ridership than we do today. Much like Washington DC and their 1970s transit system.

4. Classic

Classic Member

Is there some measure of ROI on what's been built so far?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Do you live in houston? It's changed for the worse. turning into Chi-rat

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I don't see it why it would. In the early 70s, there was only FM 1960 until SH 6 replaced it on the west side of Houston. That map also only shows the major roads and highways, and FM 1960 was very sleepy back then.

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Oh come on. You know when Houston really sucked? 1983 to 1993. There were neighborhoods my family would only take an armoured sedan for collecting rent and checking up on our businesses because crime was so bad. Some friends who recently moved here from out of town for a job won't venture into the Third and Fifth Ward. In the 80s and early 90s, those places make the current Wards look like River Oaks. Okay that was a hyperbole, but you get my point.

The one city which truly has gone downhill is Austin. What it used to be in the 80s versus now? I'll take 80s ATX any day especially in terms of traffic and culture. Back then, it was a cool and weird city in the heart of Texas.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah; if you're getting narc'd on by your co-workers for lighting up while your other co-workers are locking each other in the closet for committing adultery. Otherwise I'll take the extra $100 billion in gas and power trading and refinery projects.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Damn. What company you work for?

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It is. It was the "Outer Loop" back then.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It doesn't matter whom I work for, that economic and industrial growth has been spread all around Houston for the last twenty years.

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Houston looked like it sucked in Urban Cowboy.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Was this plan light rail? heavy rail? Looks like heavy rail on already existing rail lines to me. They ripped up the rail lines that ran alongside the Katy Freeway when they did the freeway expansion.