1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Harden did not play or played poorly?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Dec 7, 2020.

1. jaychi

jaychi Member

I am not familiar with the rules or the penalties of a contract in the NBA. I have different scenarios that may happen and tell me what will happen or the solution

1.) Harden did not play and refused to play. Let's assume the organization does not want to trade him because of his decreased value. What is the penalty?

2.) Harden did not play and refused to play. Harden is suspended without pay. Harden does not mind since he is rich. Trade value decreases and no good enough offer

3.) Harden did play but is not cooperative ala Rodman in Spurs. Rockets suspend him. Harden does not return. Harden does not mind not getting any pay. (Assuming he can't be traded because his trade value is rock bottom or no good offers)

4.) Harden did play but played lackadaisical. Can he be charged for breach of contact? (Assuming he can't be traded because his trade value is rock bottom or no good offers)

5.) Harden did not play. He will be suspended from the league if he did not play so he came back and played but played poorly.

6.) Is there a scenario wherein he needs to pay a penalty if he breached his contract?

Has there ever been a superstar who did not want to play but did not get traded?

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He will get traded and we might not get the right value in return.

AD asked out but NOLA somehow got a good haul.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Don't play him if he isn't 100% in. If he wants to sit out 2 years **** him. Don't trade him just to do it, get a good package out of it. It's about time someone treats these spoiled mother****ers that they are obligated to work under contract they sign.

We have middle of pandemic and economic crisis people would kill for a minimum wage job and some ****ing dudes that can dribble leather basketball better than others don't care to show up to shoot that ball with the rest of the team while being paid 40$million dollars all this while ignoring any pandemic regulations like masks and gatherings. I am really loosing all the respect for Harden as a person this offseason

Duke Fan likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

AD also did not play so many worthless trivial mind games in the midst of a pandemic.

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Harden is a professional and wouldn't play bad on purpose. He knows it would hurt his brand a lot and he isn't like that.

because of covid, it is a different year than others and we must cut plays slack in these difficult times

6. jaychi

jaychi Member

There is a possibility that Harden will put the organization on hostage if he does not get traded. If he does not play, there is really nothing to lose for him and the Rockets will be at a disadvantage to trade because there will be less efficient trade offers. He can just sulk and still be rich. The question really is if he can be suspended for a long time if he does not play

7. TimDuncanDonaut

If Harden fulfills his current contract and then decides to retire as a Rocket. Would people be mad that rockets didn't get player(s) / picks in return?

Future is future, but can't this franchise player get a nice sendoff? What if being here meant more than ring chase and a super team. A ring isn't everything. Sometimes it's the city and the relationship you build with the org. Wouldn't that be the ultimate love, where he chose the city over a ring.

In recent years, Houston has been the heart breaker of cities. Okc loved Russ, he came here. DC loved Wall, now he's here. I get objectively about the big contracts and players abilities/injuries/window of their prime, I think when fans cheer their franchise player, there's a deeper bond.

If no ring here, and if Harden is not super obsessed with getting one, I'm more than OK with him retiring at HOU.

#7 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  8. jaychi

jaychi Member

why would he retire so soon? i dont think he would just because he cant play on a team of his choice. he would probably be itching to play if he is not a Rocket anymore

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Was hypothetical and partially rhetorical. He's more than rich and can walk away if he wanted. Let's say he signs an extension for a few more years. Playoff bound but no 'ships, can he be happy, can CFers be happy that what he gave to the city is enough?

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Harden is partying in Vegas right now as CF debates if he's a professional.

Harden don't give a single **** about this franchise, he wants out period. He is forcing Tilman to take whatever offer is available for him or he will just keep using covid excuse to not show up.

If he really cared about covid protocols, he would already be at home self-quarantined.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

If I remember right, I think he also had a year (or two) left on his contract. Which made trading him easier, in that respect.

What hurt him, was what Harden is perceived to do. AD tunnel visioned LA and apparently, Harden is tunnel visioning BKN.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So if that means that he is going to party before each and every season, I am sure he is going to fall from graces pretty soon.

You're right that there are still a lot of fans caring about him.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It would be best if he didn't play.