1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Dream had played with these guys?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Dec 19, 2009.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not taking anything away from our championship guys because they were the definition of clutch, however they did not play all out all the time. Horry was lazy most of the time which is why they tried to trade twice. Cassell and Kenny couldn't play defense on Ryan Bowen. I just can't help thinking what if dream played with a group of guys that put this much effort in every game on both sides of the court. I would think they would be title contenders with a chance to get the regular season win record.

2. dejamike

dejamike Member

Then it just not fair

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good call........

If Dream played with this team, we would break Chicago's 72 game regular season win percentage and sweep to a championship.

DD

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan could forget about those 3-peats :p.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Man I miss watching the Dream play :(

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If Hakeem played with out present team then just like with Yao Ming, Coach Adelman would have to change the game plan because Hakeem & Yao both play the BIG MAN GAME!!

For this reason I am concerned that Adelman is willing and able to adapt the team sufficiently to properly utilise Yao Ming's abilities, when he returns to action. :p

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think this is a relevant question: is Hakeem brought to the present, or are the current Rockets brought to his time?

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

Party Pooper!! :( ^^^

9. rockbox

I see where you are getting at. The new rules benefit smaller players like Brooks and Scola. If you brought any version of Dream from 86-98 to the present, we would be the favorite to win the title. If you brought this group back to the 90's, we would definitely give chicago a run for their money every year.

10. rockbox

Dream could run with any team. This team played pretty well with Yao last season, and Yao isn't half as versatile as Dream was. Dream was a better passer than Yao and could play from the high post.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

It wouldn't even be fair to the rest of the league. We would be a much better version of the Celtics team that won a couple of years ago.

12. HPD

HPD Member

Could fronting control dream? Or putting an athletic pf on him? The zone defenses are allowed now wen back then it was illegal. Even tho seattle did this every defensive set. I jus think dream was perfect. For the era he played in with the set rules.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think Dream's defense alone would reak havoc on the league today.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

What if MJ and Dream played together, and, throw in Wilt Chamberlain and STErn was the coach?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If the Dream wanted to get himself into shape just for the hell of it, signed a contract with whatever sort of player's options he cared to name, and figured on maybe 15 minutes a night, the man could hammer 98% of the 5's currently toiling in the NBA. In my opinion, anyway. He would absolutely love playing with these guys.

That's my fantasy, or my dream, if you will. What a thrill that would be. :cool:

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It is basically what I have been saying for the last few years, if you put a dominant center from the 60s - 90s on a modern day team, whether they were near the bottom of the standings or a middle of the road team for all intents and purposes that team would shoot up the NBA hierarchy and challenge for an NBA title. A player, like Wilt, Dream, young Shaq, Kareem, or Moses would entirely change the complexion of the modern NBA and possibly who the best player is. Even, a player like David Robinson or Patrick Ewing could do that. If you see how many teams have struggled and had tough time slowing down someone like Yao Ming, could you imagine them going up against the best players at center position ever. Absolutely not.

Now, put Dream on the Rockets, circa 91-96, right now. Hell, it could be a young Olajuwon from the 80s.

The Rockets instantly become a NBA Finals #1 contender. Personally, I think better than Lakers.

C - Hakeem Olajuwon
    PF - Luis Scola
    SF - Shane Battier
    SG - Trevor Ariza
    PG - Aaron Brooks

Kyle Lowery
    Carl Landry
    David Andersen
    Chase Budinger
    Tracy McGrady
    Jermaine Taylor
    Yao Ming - IR (I'll get to that one later)

Why would this team win a title this year?

#1 - Who is going to stop Olajuwon at the center position? What defensive scheme is going to slow him down?

#2 - Who is going to be able to score consistently Olajuwon on other teams?

#3 - This same team missing its two biggest stars and former all-star backup center (and all world defensive player) took the Lakers at full strength to brink of elimination. Yet, the Lakers have one of most skilled and biggest front courts in the league.

#4 - Our team has good shooters and scorers, maybe not to the quality of the 94 and 95 team, but I think they are more than suitable replacements. While, this current team probably has better defenders on it, especially on the wing. Now add that with the "real" Nigerian Nightmare.

I think Boston and S.A. would have the best chance against us, because of team defense, coaching, and maximum effort (toughness). As they may not be able to slow Olajuwon down very little, but they might put it to everyone else as they have the players to limit the Rockets supporting cast. They'll play Olajuwon, like Seattle did. Don't if it will work, though. As I don't believe Popovich would put Duncan on Hakeem for the whole game, it might be more of committee defender. Same with Boston. Like, they do against Yao (when he plays both teams, they often switch defenders against or use frequent double teams).

We'd clownstomp the Lakers. If our guys were such match for them without any superstars, imagine how much of chances they'd have of winning with one of the greatest centers ever. L.A. I can't see how Bynum or Gasol will even be able amount to anything better than air on defense against Dream. Can't see them scoring or rebounding, very often against him unless he is injured. If Shaq, Ewing, Mutombo, and the Bulls offense/defense struggled against Olajuwon. I can't see these two chumps amounting to anything against him. Furthermore, you have a center who is probably the best ever at keeping opposing wing players out of the paint, we've seen how Olajuwon can make it difficult MJ or even the Showtime Lakers. The Lakers wings are coming into the paint, very often that includes Kobe. Who does turn into a jump shooter when he can't.

Everyone else doesn't really matter, they'd have not chance against the Rockets unless the refs decided otherwise. Maybe Denver, because of George Karl and pretty athletic big men.

Phoenix: Doesn't have the defense or rebounding.

Dallas: Ha......

Utah: We might still struggle with them

Orlando: Not good enough and also the so called best center in the league pretty gets dominated by Yao Ming, annually. So, I can't see him faring much better against Dream.

Cleveland: They couldn't beat us at full strength last year. Can't beat us now with 3/4ths of a team.

Last point, what if Yao Ming is healthy. How much greater doest that make a team who can use Olajuwon as power forward and have Scolandry to come off the bench.

1 person likes this.
  17. Olajuwon34

Olajuwon34 Member

I think the cast Hakeem had were still pretty special. THey gave a ton of effort and they never quit. Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell were the perfect type of PGs for Hakeem. They drilled open 3's and allowed Hakeem to work the middle.

To be honest, I think Hakeem could have won with both groups.

18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

What if the Rockets had drafted Clyde Drexler and played with Olajuwon during the 90s. Would the Bulls still have won 6 championships?

I hate what ifs.

19. RyanB

RyanB Member

With Hakeem playing with such guys we would've seriously beaten the Bulls
    but the 1994 Rockets defense was tremendous

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You are thinking of yao too much. hakeem is more athletic than almost any 4 in the league now. He could also face up and move. Obviously the zone defenses would give him some problem, but it wouldn't be as bad as yao.