1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What have you been attacked by?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 14, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

I haven't been attacked by too much, but after being reminded of my friends alligator attack in Florida (hospitalized for a few weeks), I was wondering if you have been attacked or threatened by some animal...

My closest encounter: Homestead Florida: We have canals in florida and I happened upon a group of baby alligators in the canal. Their little heads were poking from the surface of the water, and then without notice, they suddenly went under and out of sight. I decided to walk along the bank and follow the bubbles they left behind. They led into an old drainage pipe that was half above the ground and half sumerged. I crawled on top of the pipe and went to the edge to see the little gators once again. Laying down on my stomach, I leaned over the edge and peered into the dark tunnel. What I found scared the mess out of me! Looking me eye to eye was a gator with his mouth wipe open. He was about seven feet! His jaw snapped shut, I crapped my pants and ran, the gator crapped its pants and scampered in the other direction. Yikes! I will never forget it. That was my closest encounter.

In Florida we also have coconut trees. Thoise cocnuts attack! They fall randomly and target humans.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited March 14, 2001).]

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I wasn't attacked in the sense of being mauled but I was scared nonetheless. It was the summer of 4th or 5th grade and I was in pee-wee league baseball and I remember having to go door to door and sell these chocolate bars, anyone who has played baseball as a kid is probably familiar with this type of solicitation. I remember walking up to this house in a fairly nice neighborhood, where this guy was working in his yard... as I approached his house and started to walk up the sidewalk, from around the corner of the house, a huge black and tan german shepherd came running to me... I immediately bolted and started to run and cry. I didn't get bit and I don't think the dog was even that close to me, but I was 10-12 years old and at that age, that was being attacked.

Now I own two dogs and looking back, that dog probably wanted to play and I was probably never in any danger! But come on I was a kid... I was being attacked!

You know what else? That guy didn't even buy any candy from me.

Needless to say, I don't even think I finished out that season of pee-wee baseball, I got hit in the head with the ball and after that was never quite the same... hmmmm...

rH

------------------
    Homecourt will always be 'The Summit' to me!! Until we move downtown!!

The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!
    Come and chat with us on game nights in CC.net chat!

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've only been attacked by people.

And a little chihuaha, but that doesn't count cuz i just laughed at it.

------------------
    Whitey will pay.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Only wasp ... I reckon they wouldn't be pissed off at me if I didn't throw rocks at their nests!

------------------
    Nice guys finish last ... and im surely not going to finish last!

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I was attacked by a Black lab in 4th grade it jumped me and bit me a few times. Luckily I had on 2 shirts and a jacket so it didn't break the skin.

CK

------------------
    Quote of the year:
    "Look it's George Jefferson"
    Charles Barkley commenting on Nuggets coach John Lucas.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A baby elephant.

------------------
    "I was arrested for sexual assault involving an elderly man and I was out in 35 minutes." -- Achebe - programmer by day, geriatric ass grabber by night. As(s?) a side note, he did state he was cleared of charges.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I got hit by a car . . .

when I was 2 I was attacked by this toy duck . . .

Mosquitos have a habit of attacking me as well . . .

DoD -- a baby elephant? how did you pull that off? [​IMG]

------------------
    What can change the nature of a man?

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was attacked by my 6' Burmese Python once. Stupid me...I was handling the mice I was about to feed him and then I went to wake up my snake for feeding time. Snakes have pretty bad eye sight and mainly rely on their sense of smell. He caught one whiff of my hand and "WHAM"...struck the crap out of my hand and started to coil around my hand. I was like "AHHHHH!" . I pulled him off of me and threw him back in the cage. It was all my fault. I had like 10 holes in the shape of his mouth on my hand that were bleeding. It was kind of gross...I thought I was going to get infected. The snake committed suicide a year or two later [​IMG]..at least, that was my final diagnosis. What did I learn....I am a nazi deathcamp leader of mice as I killed hundreds [​IMG], never handle a snake after handling its prey, and never...ever...take a snake out of its natural habitat as my snake hated it and, as a result, committed suicide. Never again will I own a snake and I frown upon anyone that does. Snakes need freedom. Long live the free snake.

PhiSlammaJamma, tell us about what happened to your friend who was attacked by the gator? That must have been some scary ****. I hear about dogs taken by gators all the time...I would freak if my dog was snatched from the shore of a lake. I would be devastated and have nightmares forever.

Surf

------------------

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I threw cow manure at it.

------------------
    "I was arrested for sexual assault involving an elderly man and I was out in 35 minutes." -- Achebe - programmer by day, geriatric ass grabber by night. As(s?) a side note, he did state he was cleared of charges.

10. Ali Cat

Ali Cat Member

Let's see. When I was about six, I got bored at one of my older brother's baseball games. So me and a couple of other kids decided to play on this old log. Yay! It was fun until we stirred up a huge wasp nest. I was stung a lot.

I've been attacked by cats before. When I was about eight I decided that I needed to pet this stray tom cat. He didn't like that and I got clawed. I actually got cat scratch fever from it. It's true. There actually is a cat scratch fever. It sucked too because I got it when we were on vacation in Florida.

Oh yeah, horses attack sometimes too. I've been bit, kicked, stepped on, thrown, etc. Never seriously hurt though. [​IMG]

------------------
    Poopy!

11. PhiSlammaJamma

My friend was much older than I. He was about seventeen at the time. Anyway, he walked into the carport (an open garage) at about 1 or 2 am in the mourning. It was completely dark outside. Apparently a gator was sitting underneath a truck that was parked in the carport. God only knows why, but it "jumped" him. He hit the ground and woke up in the hospital. He doesn't remember a thing about the attack. He doesn't remember anything after walking into the carport. I remember seeing dried blood all over the place. He had been "bitten" on the leg and then left alone as far they can tell. Perhaps he was just too big a meal. Freakin crazy though! I can't even imagine what his leg felt like. It was quite an event. It rarely happens, but because he and I lived on the edge of the swamp we were the closest to danger.

I've seen well over thirty gators while living in Florida. Most of them were from afar. The most memorable was one day when I saw three lounging in my backyard. Wholly crap! They looked comfortable though. We called in the Air base Cops and they got someone to remove them. Just like on Croc hunter. Pretty cool.

The Mosquitoes were hell down there. Luckily I'm in DC now. woo hoo! No rabid creatures here. Just crabs.

Cat Scratch Fever, LOL!

An elephant!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited March 14, 2001).]

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

a Rottweiler bit a chunk out of my leg when i was 8 years old , still have the mark .

------------------
    Oh yes I'm helping with the California Power Crisis , I've turned off more women than Achebe

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Ali-- that's a training issue. Our rottie used to do the same thing.

There are a couple of things that can be done to correct this.

One is to purchase a jump-deterring lead. It straps on to the dog and doesn't allow them to jump, eventually they get the message.

The other is just using the word "off" or "down"... or any sensible word, to train them with. This takes time and training to achieve the desired effect.

The other is to not get excited when you FIRST see them. This is a mistake folks do... They see their dogs and start in with a high pitched voice, "good to see you, blah blah" this makes the dogs excited, then they jump. I've found that if you enter your house, do your thing, then give em love, that this helps sometimes.. but tell me, how can you see your pet and NOT get excited... oh well...
    way off topic... but wanted to respond.

Back to "WHEN PEOPLE GET ATTACKED!"

rH

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Or you could just get a cat. I don't see too many feline-related injuries appearing in this discussion.

------------------

15. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I've been visciously attacked by fire ants on multiple occasions.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

1) A mockingbird
    2) A Feral Hog chased me up a tree
    3) A Llama spit in my face
    4) A Bull once chased me over a fence
    5) I once had a huge wolf-like dog(Husky?) try and chew through a metal fence to get after me.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

17. JettaKnight

JettaKnight Member

I've been attacked by a crab trying to escape his death in the boiling pot. I ran to the safety of my car to get away from the evil crab.

------------------
    Hinei ma tov umanaim,
    shevet achim gam yachad.

18. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

1)An elephant spit on me
    2)A rattlesnake
    3) An emu
    4) Attacked by 2 dogs that used to be used in Africa to hunt Lions
    5) bees
    6) fire ants
    7) My own dog bit me after being hit by a car, resulting in me having to get tested for rabies. The dog died too [​IMG]

------------------

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ummm...Tacoma Park Legend...the only dogs I know that fit your description of the dogs that attacked you are Rhodesian Ridgebacks...which I happen to have 2 of. These are the lion hunters of Africa. They are wonderful dogs although they do have that hunting instinct. Again, it's how you raise the dog....not the breed. I don't think my dogs attacked you, though. They would have licked you to death.

Surf

------------------

20. dc sports

dc sports Member

I was once attacked by this red headed chick. She was screaming and yelling and tried to drag me down to the floor.

Well, she was two, and I just turned off Barney, so I guess she had an excuse. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...