1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happens to that pick we owe the Nuggets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

if we miss the playoffs? Does it reduce to a 2nd rounder? At this point I'm so skeptical of our postseason prospects that I'm seriously doubting what to hope for tonight.

2. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

2016 first round draft pick to Denver
    Houston's 2016 1st round pick to Denver protected for selections 1-14; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Houston will instead convey Portland's 2017 2nd round pick to Denver [Houston-Portland, 7/10/2013; Denver-Houston, 7/20/2015]

3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Is it possible that we make the playoffs but still get the pick... as in an eastern team that does not make the playoffs but still has a better record than us.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No, non-playoff teams get the first 14 picks via the draft lottery.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If we miss the playoffs and get that 14th pick. I would immediately package it with Brewer / Dekker + 2nd rounder and move up in the draft. Even if we barely move up to the 8th.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: Right now we own the 13th pick. The Bulls have a better record than us.

secondly, you know you will enjoy seeing us beat Dallas tonight, so just cheer for it. We have the potential to knock them out of the playoffs. With tie-breaker advantages, we will jump from #9 to #7 tonight.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

From a front office stance, I think a playoff appearance of at least 2 home games worth more than a #14 pick.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

With those 2 we probably still couldn't move up

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would rather make the playoffs. What we lose in a pick we gain in attracting free agents, especially if we can push the Spurs or Warriors to six games.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

In terms of the future of this team, pick is better than no pick.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Its impossible for me not to root for them.

But if when they lose there is also a positive benefit, it makes the loss not as hard.

Hindsight is 20-20, but wonder if DM could have made it like a top 20 protected pick? The Nuggets, like everyone else, would have certainly thought the Rockets a sure fire top 10 team record wise, and it probably still would have gotten the deal done... But maybe not.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I get what you're saying, but I've honestly NEVER seen so much downside protection in a trade as Morey baked into the Lawson deal:

Lawson non-guaranteed his 2016-17 salary.

The (first round) pick obligation is a one-shot deal, converting to a 2017 second rounder if it isn't conveyed in 2016. It doesn't carry over to future seasons, hindering the Rockets' ability to make future trades.

Denver had to give up its own 2017 second rounder to Houston.

Given all of that, it's hard to find fault in the pick "only" being lottery-protected. I'm pretty sure if Morey had asked for any further protection on the pick (while also asking that it not carry over beyond 2016), the Nuggets may not have gone through with the trade. Hindsight's 20-20, but even with Lawson not being a perfect fit at the time, he was still a high-caliber NBA player. The price paid to acquire him was minimal based on his then-market value (DUIs and all).

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think that package could work... If they're looking to trade down.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I find no fault in any of it.

Just pointing out the hindsight.

Seemingly, at the time, the only "real" risk would have been a Harden injury, in which case one might have anticipated a top 10 type pick, which wouldn't have gotten sent to the Nuggets... which was the only reason I mentioned it.

A return to average, 8th-9th place in the West just seemed unfathomable. Again, the only reason why I said maybe in hindsight, protecting through a couple more picks would have still gotten it done.

is what it is.

As most rockets fans should be, if there is any NBA draft anger, it should be the DMo rescinded trade, which still seems ridiculous.

15. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Let's be real, it probably takes a first rounder just to dump Brewer and Decker salary. They have negative value in any package, you can't move up with them.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL, Dekker is not even worth half a bag of expired Doritos chips

2 people like this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

No one wants brewer's contract and Dekker is a bust because he is a systems player. He might fit on a team like the Spurs but not on the Rockets where we play free-style bball.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Uh huh. Sure... Dekker has had back issues all season long, and is a rook. To call him a bust is hilariously premature. Brew's contract could be appealing come this summer. He is in a down season, but the entire team is (except for Harden). Someone will be willing to take a risk on him. His contract isn't too bad especially with the cap increase coming, Pretty cheap for a role player if you ask me.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Ok I wasn't thinking straight.

I would package the 14th plus Brewer and Dekker for the 25th pick. :)

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Unless the cap savings means you can sign a FA to more money.