1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to Sengun When KPJ Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2023.

?

What Will Stephen Silas Do?

1. Play Through Sengun

31 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Revert Back to Previous Offense

60 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Combination of the 2

26 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Doesn't Matter We'll Still Get Blown Out

31 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Risingred

Risingred Member

We all know it'll revert back to the previous offense. Silas is on the right path to earn the worst coach in the NBA history by a healthy margin. He would become a household name of a bad coach.

KPJ has been playing so much better and more consistent than Green. and he's only like 22 years old, why trade him? He was given a role that he cannot thrive, so it was not on him. I used to think he was the culprit of our unwatchable offense, but he did what the coach and the FO asked him to do. Now I neither trust the coach nor the FO, Stone maybe as bad as Silas.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Agreed

I haven't been as active so apparently, I've missed a lot of the KPJ battles that have happened lol. Back last year when I was explaining why he wasn't a point guard I had a few push back, but it was not THAT bad. I explained my reasoning and I also tried to relay that I think he's actually a talented basketball player being played out of position. He's a combo guard. He can give you minutes at the point, but you fully weaponize him by taking the ball out of his hands.

This team as a whole lacks accountability and that's why I'm done.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

KPJ as the PG and primary initiator seems to be more of an organizational decision than strictly a Stephen Silas decision to me

Jalen Green is definitely being given too much self-creation burden tho…54% of his threes are assisted…even Devin Booker and Bradley Beal’s percentage of threes assisted has never been that low, and they are both much better shooters and creators than Green

apollo33, i3artow i3aller and vator like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I agree with basically everything but the assertion that he is a combo guard. He has good peripheral vision and reaction which helps on wrap arounds and PnR quick passes, but his overall court vision and understanding on how offenses and defenses unfold is complete ass IMO. He also has a really low BBIQ when it comes to making quick but correct decisions on ISO possessions hence us seeing him drive into congestion so often or cutting the efficacy of his own roll man by dribbling back into the coverage that his roll man pulled away.

At the end of the day, you cannot be a combo guard if your overall passing ability is ass. I do personally think that he can be a great wing however and feast on 1v1 matchups when he gets the ball after the D has already broken down ASSUMING he can really speed up his decision making process. Realistically, if he hasn't figured out what he wants to do within 5s of getting the ball, he really should be giving it up at that point.

clutchdabear and KingCheetah like this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

6. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

When ready, the HH will be "leading" again. What better way to secure the highest %? Unfortunately I believe that's a given going forward.

Personally, think going this route is doing WAY more damage than good for our top picks. There's a good chance they have already F'd things up because of this Joker.

Correct the problem before it's too late.

First things first... get rid of Silas and Lucas

Immediately kill the PG experiment.

If they don't, there's a good chance the last two years of a rebuild will be a waste. These kids will leave when they can for a better organization.

That's a fact.

theDude and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it really was. It was asking what happens to Sengun when KPJ comes back. I spelled out what SHOULD happen, that the offense should be run through Sengun and KPJ with Green heading to the bench...or at least that's what you'd do if you wanted to win games with this team.

What will happen though? Given who runs the team, there's no way of knowing.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

@vator & @xaos : You guys' view of how to successfully use KPJ fits right in with mine. KPJ can be a real weapon for this team. I think KPJ, if you can get him to embrace it, could find real success as a PG in the mold of Derek Fisher or Ron Harper (Bulls version). He is never going to be CP3 or John Stockton (but how many titles have either guy won?). He can be a guy that plays off a high usage scorer (Green?) punishing his man for rotating off of him. He can be a potent pick and roll ball handler on occasion. And he can be plus defender (especially of point guards given his length and strength). I think that 2 things need to happen for KPJ to turn things around. First he needs Green to be the guy that forces Defenses to double him opening up a rise in the spot up attempts for KPJ. Secondly, the Rockets need to find a point forward to be the facilitator a PG usually is (like Pippen on those Bulls teams). I think a guy like Kyle Anderson would be great for this team. Other than getting him from the Wolves I think the Rockets should be looking at Anthony Black in the draft as a guy that is suited to play the 1 but can defend 1-3 at a pretty decent level.

I obviously dont know porter but if he cant accept that sacrificing what he wants to do for the betterment of the team is what happens in sports then he might ought to think about whats important to him. I say this as a guy that has been in his corner for quite some time.

vator, Ankara1923, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Pressure is on JGreen more than Alpi.

Sengun learnt to be modest/patient in 3 different occasions:
    1.Did not play neither for Efes nor Fenerbahce in Turkey and learnt to be low-profile (historically all other Turkish NBA players played one of them).The teams he played were the equivalent of North Dakota or Clemson rather than Duke/Arizona/Kentucky/N.Carolina

2.Drafted low and had to stomach coming from the bench. Should be difficult for the reigning TBL MVP. Following year's MVP Vasilije Micic did not except to come from the bench and did not sign OKC.

3.Demoted to bench for Bruno.

JGreen was supposed to be golden boy, never came from the bench and except the second part of the last season he is not a success story (someone posted that he never had double-double yet, Idk, difficult to believe). As Silas will try again to be wannabi life coach of KPJ, JGreen might be thrown under the bus this time.

Can JGreen digest this demotion or not is the question to be asked now.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

We've won zero games in that span. Neither of these guys is easy to lead a winning NBA team yet, and coaching/culture is only part of that.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

cbass likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think people said that about James Harden too.

DD

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don’t really recall many people ever questioning that Harden had poor court vision, was a poor passer, or was a questionable decision maker. Harden was also never known to be an inefficient scorer either, it was the opposite in fact. Both players like to ISO and that’s where the comparisons end.

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at comparing KPJ to James Harden. Absolutely absurd

16. cml750

cml750 Member

It should stay with Sengun leading the offense with KPJ becoming another weapon to use within the flow of the offense and a secondary playmaker. When Sengun sits as someone earlier so eloquently suggested, KPJ can play the "dime store Harden" role.

That being said I have a bad feeling it will return to exactly the same way it was before he went out.

if Silas want to prove he is a capable coach for anything more than being a tank commander he should adjust the offense to fit the players rather than have the players adjust to fit his style. Otherwise he will never coach again.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

KPj is a WR not a QB.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Play through Alperen Sengun until KP understands what a Team Oriented 5 Man Passing Offense looks like.

Iso Plays doesnt work the whole game, the last few minutes Iso Plays is used usually.

The Rockets wasted too many games with KP wasting possessions in Turnovers and Bad Iso Shots

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

FIFY

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The last game we won was against Chicago and Sengun went off but KPJ is going to do what he wants to do