1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to Sengun When KPJ Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2023.

?

What Will Stephen Silas Do?

1. Play Through Sengun

31 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Revert Back to Previous Offense

60 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Combination of the 2

26 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Doesn't Matter We'll Still Get Blown Out

31 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. NewAge

NewAge Member

3andD also gets you 0-for-27

subtomic, kubli9 and King1 like this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

I was thinking the same before, but things have evolved. Green plays better with Sengun. KPJ plays better with Fernando. Nothing wrong with having KPJ as a 6th man.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ is a younger SGA - same style of play, just got to give KPJ time.

In 3 years KPJ will be 25ppg and 7 assists....

DD

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really though, that was a fluke. You don't judge things on the outliers.

You wouldn't base a Roulette betting strategy on the one time when 00 was rolled 27 times in a row...unless you want to go broke.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's more important that the ENTIRE team plays better without Green. KPJ and Sengun can work on their chemistry, and before kPJ got hurt, it seemed as if they were making progress there.

If the goal was to win, and I know that's not the goal right now, you'd bring Green off the bench and start KJ .

6. Boii

Boii Member

This is the nuance that people lose while over analyzing archetypes.
    The game evolves anyway. It has moved into a more perimeter oriented game today yes. But the last 3 MVPs have been big men who operate more in the paint. Maybe this is another turning of tide in the NBA when it comes to playstyles; the passing big man hub is a hugely popular archetype today that will only become more prelevant as the game evolves

AlperenSengun and clutchdabear like this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at KPJ being a younger SGA. That's ridiculous even for DD. There's a reason he only has 7 fans on this board and two of them are the worst posters here. Imagine being stupid enough to call a player who plays no defense at all and quits on half of the plays 3@D.

8. King1

Bobby's obsession with Green is now at complete stalker level now. What a complete weirdo

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

SGA @ 22 on a terrible OKC team: 24 PPG with TS% 5.0% above league average and a 6/3 ast/to

KPJ @ 22 on a terrible Rockets team : 19 PPG with TS% 2.8 below league average and a 5.6/3.6 ast/to

The similarities are uncanny it’s as if they cloned KPJ from SGA bball dna. And if you can’t see it then you are just a hater with an agenda and low bball iq.

10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

also assuming that every big man will operate as one of the previous ones, trying to fit the guy into one of them. Also assuming that a smarter gm cannot come up with a better team construct. Also assuming that the alternative construct has a better chance of winning regardless of what you do as long as you don’t build with a center.

and I say ‘build with a center’ not around. People speak as if when you keep Sengun in the game you are not allowed to have 3 and d at all.

the thing that amazes me most some posters are still speaking of Sengun as a post up player. I mean before we were proposing he was much more than that but now it is an observed fact. And still we have posters trying to argue with post-up is dead etc.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Been that way for awhile. DD is a guy around here. 1.1 million posts definitely some quality in there as well.

I can’t think of anything that Bobby has ever brought to the board. I could be remembering wrong, but it seems like he may have been banned by one of the forms at one point. Moreso in this era, he cannot post unless it pro KPJ or negative Green. It’s fine to bang a drum but it’s definitely just beyond weird.

I don’t think that Green has been a particularly good player the last 1.5 years. But I’m willing to look to the future, and I certainly see the potential for him to be something special down the line.

Kevin Porter Junior has been a slightly better player over the last 1.5 years but has been a worse character.

Players like Green and Smith were always bigger projects than someone like Banchero or Cunningham. Would I rather have Banchero or Cunningham? Sure as long as that alternate reality includes Sengun and Eason.

BTG and DD are inconsistent, holding the past against one player, but not the other. And of those, which past is of more consequence?

I don’t think that you should ever get so dug into an argument that you unconsciously refuse to partially back away from that.

We are where we are. We traded James Harden just over two years ago. We’ve added a stable of young players, and I imagine that the odds are a franchise guy (meaning top 20) emerges from that. Less likely (but certainly possible) is that a top five or 10 player grows from that group. For all I know, it could be KPJ. Our long run of above average success spoiled us. Having the clear-cut guy two years in would’ve been optimal, but I would make the argument that even Banchero, Cunningham ir Mobley are not definitely that.

we need to show patients over another few years.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

*patience. Sorry voice text.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. King1

Haha

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. King1

Good well thought out post

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Are you saying that data is similar? Not to mention KPJ is an average athlete with above average body control and SGA is elite at both.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol no. I’d say that data shows two very different levels of prospect. Poking fun with sarcasm.

AroundTheWorld and King1 like this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Oh gotcha. Sorry I didn’t know if you were the third triplet.

18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 3 point shot is arguably bad for the game at this point. At the least, the court needs to be widened to make it equal distance for 3s, and the line could honestly be moved back a couple feet.

King1 likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think the question should be "Is KPJ directly comparable to SGA?", the question should be "Is KPJ the best guard on the Rockets roster?" and the answer is obviously yes.

He's the best if he's playing PG, he's the best if he's playing SG....hell, he's the best if he's playing SF.

Since that's the case, the question then becomes, "How can the Rockets build on their top two players, KPJ and Sengun?"

What system and set of players maximizes those two?

When KPJ gets back, we'll see if they try to implement a system centered around KPJ and Sengun rather than the one where they keep forcing things to Green and Smith.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It shouldn't be bold as this season should be an experiment.