1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happened to Kenyon Martin?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jboslett, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jboslett

jboslett Member

He looked really, really bad last night. Can't get it done without J Kidd?

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Kenyon Martin and J Kidd? You must be thinking of the 2001-2002 season. When they both played for New Jersey. Plus Kenyon hasn't played well since like 2004 and he has never played a full season. Bad play from him is nothing to be surprised about.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Stopped playing with Jason Kidd, got disgustingly overpaid, blew out both of his knees, remarkably made a comeback and now sucks.

Did I miss anything? ;)

4. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

microfracture on both knees to be more exact

5. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He was ridiculously overrated to begin with. At his peak, with Kidd helping to pad his stats, he was a 17-9 guy and routinely exposed when trying to guard elite bigs from the West. Duncan had him for lunch in the Finals.

He's slightly undersized at the 4, only puts forth 80% effort on D, and doesn't have any legit moves to get his own shot. And now he's got bum knees.

Evan

7. mtran

mtran Member

jason kidd was the best thing to ever happen to kenyon martin.

8. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

Kenyon Martin was a BeatsCats he became the #1 pick

9. jboslett

jboslett Member

I obviously know he hasn't played with Jason Kidd for years but I didn't exactly track him as diligently as everyone else here. Didn't know he had microfracture surgery on both knees. Plus, it certainly isn't like he was terrible for his first year in Denver when he averaged 15.5 ppg in 70 games played.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Exactly how much is he getting paid?

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As much laziness and craziness he shows at times, I'd put his current diminished skills on the injuries more than anything else. He will still have good games, but then he'll have a really bad game, or a stretch of mediocre games. When you're that injured, that often, it happens.

Plus, he's already 30.

Plus, calling him a former 17 and 9 guy is a little too nice. He was close to that one year (in which he was also partially injured). Point being, he was never that great to begin with. Heck, for all the Jason Kidd made K-Mart talk, he never shot over 50% with Kidd and is only now doing it for the first time. If he can finally stay healthy for a few years, he should settle into a decent 10-14 points and 5-7 rebounds....overpaid, but could be worse.

12. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

He's making 13mil this season and it increases by a million each year until the end of the 2010-2011 season.

13. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Disagree witht he bolded part. He's a hard working defender, and probably our best defender. He's athletic enough to guard 2's and is willing to bang on 5's. It amazes me that people praise Camby's defense and bash Kenyon's when (IMO) Kenyon is the vastly superior defender.

Kenyon and Melo are probably the only two parts of the team that haven't disappointed me this year. Then again, my expectations for K-Mart were pretty damn low.

14. mtran

mtran Member

kenyon isnt HALF the player he was in jersey. could be a combination of losing kidd + coming off surgery + playing in mile high.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, Kenyons man defense is very good. He has just lost some of that explosion and it is hard to get any shots with all the offensive threats on your guys team....

16. OrangeCountyCA

He was the #1 pick in the worst draft in NBA History.

17. rage

rage Member

K-mart was a decent player at his best. He is pretty bad now and he is vastly overpaid. None of that bother me.

What irritates me is this guy thumbing his chest every time he throws down a dunk after a great pass from Kidd or one of his other teammate. He acted as if he did something special. So comical.

18. lalala902102001

Kenyong Martin has never been that great a player and he's always been injury-prone. Damn, he even lost his nick name in the last couple of years.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kiki's dumbest mistake was signing K-Mart to that huge contract. If I'm not mistaken, they structured it in such a way as to make it tough on the Nets to match it. I remember how Kidd was soooo disappointed they let him get away.

20. FFz

FFz Member

I'ma go with kwame brown on that one.. at least for this generation.