1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happened to Dillon Brooks Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 11, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Imanimal likes this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Apparently not enough. He was a good scorer in college and I saw his red hot start to the season and thought we had the steal of the year for 80 million. If the past couple weeks are the “real” version of him, then we need to replace him with Cam in the starting lineup. I don’t care how much he’s getting paid, Udoka said he’d play the best five and Cam is a better player (long term). We have nothing else to play for this season without reinforcements coming, so mine as well get Cam the valuable experience as starter. Brooks hustle would be perfect off the bench with Tari Eason and Amen defensively.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s been gross since December. His defense has caused us the games in critical situations in the fourth closing. It’s to the point where sometime I’m afraid of his defensive assignment as much as Senguns or Jalen’s. In order of who I trust the most it goes Tari, then FVV and then Jabari

4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

He’s shifted into the “I got this” mode he’s been in for too much of his career. I’m hopeful he can shift back out of that to the guy he was at the start of the season once everyone is healthy and we are hopefully winning more games again.

topfive likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

The flip side of that is if you have your heart set on making the playoffs this year and contending for a title as early as next, Brooks looks like a questionable signing. It's all about your expectations going into this year.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Brooks is meant to be a 4th option, defensive and culture tone setter. With a full, competitive roster, his role and value is clear. Without FVV, Eason and now Sengun and Cam, Brooks has to become a 2nd option kind of player and he's not built for that.
    I think the reliance on the starters this year has sapped everybody. The injury to Brooks is a factor, too.

7. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

It seems that FO did not expect to contend as early as 2026. Thus, FVV,DB,Jeff,Jock,Holiday,Bullock signings are "transition period" employments.

Using $80M for Paul George+Jacob Poetl type of duo and letting the young core-6 to grow up with them would be better option for me but we missed that train. The next projection is to become a contending team 2027-onwards, terminating the contracts of above mentioned 6 plus Boban+Tate, keeping at least 4 of the young core, getting picks for the remaining two and signing 1 superstar and 1 star.

Ime Udoka can't survive that long and I am suspicious that Mormon look-alike GM will be with us that time.

#47 Ankara1923, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    topfive likes this.
  8. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

If Dillon was one of the rookies/youngins he wouldve been benched in half the games he has played this season.

His defence is overrated asf, is there a single game this season he actually locked down anyone? I dont remember. His 3 pt shooting was amazing early in the season but if he starts chucking shots and keep on attacking the basket vs 2-3 defenders like he has done in his last couple of games he should be benched. Dude leads the league in fouls and most of the fouls he gets during games are dumb asf and a momentum killer.

Imanimal, YOLO and Ankara1923 like this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Totally agree with this - I think that's one of the reasons he became the scapegoat for Memphis last year - Morant's boneheadedness and some of the injuries to their team were far bigger problems but because Brooks' worst traits were on display in those moments, the team used him to take the heat off Jah and roster construction.

Imanimal likes this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think we should actually be open to trading Dillon in the offseason. I don't think his 3P% will ever be as good again, his value is probably at an all-time high right now since it looks like he's fixed his biggest problems (but has he really?). He's a guy lots of teams should be interested in, and from our perspective, Tari might already be better in the same role, if he can get/stay healthy.

It depends on what's available on the market, but I think if you can get an Anunoby-like return for him I think you take that in a heartbeat.

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Our true franchise player

13. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Ray Dillon, Dillon Bird, Dillon Curry. Whatever he was on fire with catch and shoot

roslolian likes this.
  14. Strawberry Gum

His impact was huge at the defensive side at the start of the season, right now he just feels like a slightly above average defender. At least he's still shooting well.

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How, don’t y’all feel silly?

roslolian, kubli9 and Salvy like this.
  16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Such a lazy take. Was he “unlucky” when he missed shots?

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Look at his career stats and you tell me whether you think that hot streak is going to be a reliable reoccurring occurrence in his game going forward.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brookdi01.html

A 28 year old with over 10 thousand minutes logged who hasn't had a season above .515 TS% since his rookie season, was shooting 50% from 3 and 64TS% over his first 12 games.

If you don't want to call that streak lucky, fine. Call it unusual, rare, or whatever.

Imanimal and harold bingo like this.
  18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

He's 11th in fouls. Sengun has more total fouls than Brooks, #4 in the league. Brooks did miss some games to lower his ranking. Still Amen and Tate are actually worse foulers per possession than than Brooks. Its just part of the defensive package with him.
    I think his woeful lack of rebounding at his position might be his worse trait. Cam Whitmore has more career double digit rebound games than Brooks (who has zero)

19. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

Yeah mb I didnt mean total fouls I meant he averages most fouls in the league

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/who-averages-most-fouls-per-game

And you're correct he is 11th place, but that is like you stated he missed a bunch of games. Had he played in those too he probably would be the league leader.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-fouls-this-season

And I agree with you about the rebounding issue. Dude has good size for his position but rarely want to go for the boards.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Really short winspan and lack of jumping abilities is his problem on rebounding. It's not like he doesn't box out, but most shooting guards can rebound over his head.