1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happened to Dillon Brooks Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 11, 2024.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I keep saying this - he's just not a very good player overall even if he has been a good vet for this young team. The reality is, FVV and Brooks are not necessarily high level guys overall - both frankly limited by physical tools but if you can get Dillon's mindset to influence guys like Jabari, Tari, or Amen and then you have something.....get the Jalens, Cams, and Amen's paying attention to the details FVV does to protect possessions, and that really raises their floors.

The reality is, this is just a very precariously constructed, thin, and not particularly flexible team and injuries have made that all the more obvious. Alpi looks far worse out there when you can't surround him with a ton of smart defenders, Brooks' poor decision making is all the more obvious when he has to have the ball in his hands more, Fred and Dillon's shooting becomes bigger warts when guys like Jabari and Tari are out, etc. I will say that ironically, Jalen Green has looked more capable at a lot more things the more injuries have hit this team. I know the efficiency is NOT where anyone wants it, but he has shown the last 20 games he has more to his game than a stunningly inefficient offense.

joshuaao, topfive and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He just went back to being the player he was for the rest of his entire career. It's the reason a lot of people, me included, were VERY against signing him.

He started off the season well, but he's started to go back to being the guy that the Grizzlies wouldn't allow on their roster for any price.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Brooks did better than I anticipated but I still would not give this guy a contract with multiple years attached.....

Combustible nature on the court and inconsistent shooting throughout his career.

Easy and astrosrule like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

His behavior at time is concerning. Draymond like in that he commits really dangerous fouls when he's been beaten. Feels instinctual to him and not measured whatsoever which gives me pause. He's performed admirably and beyond what we could've expected. But he needs to curtail this pronto before he knocks out Jabari in practice.

He's not great laterally and gets smoked more than is preferable. A little bit of a plodder. He is an irritant at his core. Better than Pat Bev for sure who was no more than a giant mosquito on the court. Dillon is more like a rabid possum.

topfive and OremLK like this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That's the sad part, he's basically hit the 95th or higher percentile outcome of what we could have ever imagined, and i would still not have given him the contract that he got

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mosquitoes transmit viruses to possums... it is already rabid.

7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

My friend, I think this is the most concise and clear cut answer I have ever received to a question on this site. I had not pieced it together with the FVV absence and makes 100% sense about the fouling. Just two words back to you: Thank You!!!

8. ExTexanNowEastCoast

No it is not just you. The guy is overrated. We should never have paid him $80M. Hopefully we trade him at some point.

9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I have always evaluated him as "transition period salary filler" (FVV also) and he is doing what I expected except attempting 19 shots in a game.

19 shots, 26% fgp and no accountability. It seems that benching rookie contract players are easy but not the vets. Great.

topfive likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

How do you pay a guy 86 mil, have him exceed all possible expectations, and then bench him? That's not reasonable

11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

He's fine when the team is at full strength. He will struggle when he's forced to step up 2-3 spots in the offensive heirarchy. He's also playing more minutes due to Eason being out so his defense is going to struggle. It doesn't help that Jalen Green sucks on defense.

Plowman likes this.
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree, but honestly his defense is not at all what it was at the beginning of the season. Hopefully we get the “good” Brooks back when the team gets back to full strength.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Historically, he's always been at his worst when key guys are injured/out and he thinks he has to step up to fill the void. With Fred out, and then Alpi yesterday, I'm really not surprised it's happening.

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I made a post saying I would eat my own dick live on Stream if Brooks maintained his GOAT shooting … It was genuinely bizarre people believed that was the new norm for him. That a career poor shooter would keep shooting better than Steph. Now he’s playing how he usually does over his career.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Did you watch him the last 5 years?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He was shooting lights out in the World Cup and at the beginning of the season and people were giddy, thinking that was the "true" Dillon and Memphis screwed up with him.

The thing is, shooting over 50% from 3 was never going to be sustainable. His recent cold shooting may just be coming back down to the mean of his career shooting percentage.

The only pleasant surprise of his performance earlier was his willingness to take a back seat on offense. With Fred and/or Alpi out, he thinks he is the first option again.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

O'rly....did you say that.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was not shooting lights out in the group games, he was putrid in the Brazil game but turned it on against Spain and then the later elimination games.

Ejected against Doncic.....but Doncic ejected as well.

Infamous 39 point game against America, you know, brother duel.

Easy likes this.
  19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I thought about making a thread for this for awhile now. He is horrible and has regressed significantly since the start of the season. Three more years of this...

Tari is already better, it's a damn shame he's out for basically the season.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Trade him while he still has value. ;)