1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happen when the Market Place of idea fails?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, May 1, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Dr Herbert Lin testified before the House Armed Service Committe yesterday on "Technology and Information Warfare: The competition for influence and the DoD".

He identified three challenges
    1- What happens when the market fails to promote better ideas and information of higher quality?
    2- The information marketplace presumes that people process information rationally, thoughtfully, and deliberately...
    3- The boundaries between foreign and domestic sources of information chaos and dysfunction are blurring.

He does not propose solutions to these challenges, but since this was focused on the DoD, he did propose what the DoD can do, even though he believe the DoD is ill-equipped to handle these challenges.

His testimony below (I recommend reading it).

ME: We can't just go on thinking that unlimited free-speech means better society, not if free-speech do not lead to better ideas and information. There is balance. Free-speech sure, but with safeguards and protection against destroying the market place of ideas and information.

Herbert Lin: Technology And Information Warfare: The Competition For Influence And The Department Of Defense | Hoover Institution

In sum, the information warfare threat to the United States is different from other threats that the nation has faced in the past. Our information warfare adversaries have weaponized our constitutional protections, our minds, and our technologies against us. Cyber-enabled information warfare has the potential to destroy reason and reality as the basis for societal discourse and to replace them with rage and fantasy. In the long run, perpetual civil war and political extremism, waged in the information sphere and egged on by our adversaries, is every bit as much an existential threat to American civilization and democracy as any military threat imaginable.

Rashmon, dmoneybangbang and Andre0087 like this.
  2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The market place of ideas has failed. In the market place of ideas money rules which through media monopolies "think" tanks, focus groups etc. ultimately pollute a lot of minds. Hence Q Anon, little guys worshipping billionaires and voting for Trump, tax cuts for folks many levels above their pay grade etc.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What are the signs of failure and what achievable measures are there to improve the situation?

I see talks of failure since the dawn of the internet where narratives are harder to pin down and can change at a moments notice.

Is that a justifiable reason to wind down the ideal of unlimited free speech?

We went through a lockdown period in the name of preserving our healthcare system and "flattening the curve". But even with a deep flattening from a year ago and mortality rates declining, we still have groups who want to isolate and contain because of their incompetence and fear of responsibility/culpability.

The Government has long feared its own people and our right to choose. Look no further to the surveillance state they fought tooth and nail to litigate and deny before the Snowden Leaks. They rammed its existence down our throats under the motto, "you shouldn't care if you have nothing to hide.".

Now people are led to believe that free speech is dangerous and divisive. This itself can mean many things. I thought diversity of thought and race led to better outcomes within working groups? What is the existential threat that compelled unity in the marketplace?

It may be that we're at an economic precipice that inflames populism and magnifies differences between haves and have nots. Government leaders are likely terrified of this and the limits of their own competence to dig out of it.

The other issue is the internet itself. It catalyzes anything and everything which makes the marketplace more quantifiable in what is winning and what isn't.

That's not really an exact root cause to a problem though. Kardashians being billionaires point to a problem but they aren't the problem.

So these challenges weren't given answers by the researcher because the researcher doesn't what the exact issue is.

I guess it's a good starting point for conversation but the implications from it's answers, such as curtailing speech, should be taken very seriously.

ryan_98 likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Signs of failures:

> extreme partisanship
    > 1/6/2021 capital attack
    > 60% republican believe in the Big Lie, 50% believe 1/6/21 attack was staged by left / antifa ("independent" also believe in this in the tens / it should frankly be < 5%)
    > two very different realities between the regular folks (reality and alt-reality and I'm sure each camp thinks this way; both can't be right at the same time for the same content)
    > (personally) family members that are just plain deluded and no, this wasn't always the case, in fact, it happens during covid when they were stuck at home doing nothing but entertain themselves with online contents // I was shocked at the speed of impact
    > conspiracy theories everywhere with real impact on vaccination, masking as recent examples
    > there has been a troubling trend of democracy gap worldwide - 15 years of decline
    [​IMG]

You are right this isn't new. What's new is the speed and scope that this is now happening because of technology. What's also new is this is now mostly a one-way street disadvantage - the market place of ideas can easily be deluded with lies, fakes, harmful things but not easily cleaned up in a free society (however, it can be much easier to control and 'clean up' in a non-free society: see China and Russia).

Read his testimony. He knows what the issues are. Knowing the cause doesn't mean you have a solution. He doesn't have the answers for all, but he does have good suggestions on what the DoD should do (in its limited role and scope).

Nobody in a free society wants to limit speech, but every free society, including the one in the US, has limits on speech. I agree we have to be very careful on what the gov can suppress and must not allow expanding the limit without very careful considerations, especially for political reasons (see Rep trying to harm private companies for ToS they don't like).

Rashmon and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the flip side of the argument that we see many argue here that private media companies shouldn't be moderating content when the pressure is actually that they should be moderating more.. For that matter I highly doubt that many on the Right are actually for social media just allowing all content. The examples they bring up are about Trump and others on the Right getting their tweets and YouTube vids cancelled yet I've heard nothing about saying that Al Qaeda and ISIS should be allowed to have Twitter accounts or that YouTube should allow beheading videos from the Caliphate.

To the main point of this thread I understand the concern and clearly the internet has led to tribalism and division I don't think it's all hopeless or that the marketplace of ideas has failed. If we look at that the social media is restricting QAnon as they restrict ISIS they are doing so less because of government regulation but because they realize it effects their profitability. People are voting with their dollars or at least threatening to vote with their dollars and Facebook, Twitter and YouTube far more fear that their profitability will take a hit than any ideals of social cohesion.

This is the ultimate irony of the Right that long championed the rights of corporations that are finding themselves losing to "wokeness". Corporations aren't getting woke they are sensing that their market is.

#5 rocketsjudoka, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    jiggyfly and tinman like this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So, Judoka, you are satisfied with the regulation of content dictated primarily by corporations deciding what maximizes their profit?
    I hope you support limits on tobacco advertising for instance?

I still think that when it comes to speech the biggest problem is that without regulation you allow a small group to own the means of speech NBC, FOX, all the few remaining Newspapers, Twitter, Facebook etc and drown out speech that does not support their profits.

Political speech is difficult, but I do wonder what gives Murdoch, Fox and Friends the right to lie about Covid Virus in support of Trump. Experts believe these lies will ultimately have lead to around 500 k excess deaths.

7. dmoneybangbang

We need more accountability.... maybe changing the libel laws.... definitely need a bill of rights for the 21st bill of rights.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

During the second Iraq War, 70% of Americans believed Saddam was behind 9/11.

What was behind that, and are the root causes similar to the points of failures you listed?

I can agree that civility and even consensus over reality has gone over the wayside, but I suspect the driver or intent to change is more about supression than overall reform of our institutions.

For example, you claim you have deluded family members, what is the solution or metric of success to that? Less deluded family members per annum through re-education camps? I wouldn't mind enrolling some of my own until there's a growing and loud group to nominate me.

Or maybe it's privatizing media or hosting a state solution. Sounds reasonable for a clearinghouse of info. Would you always trust it? Maybe another Trump/Bush corrodes it's hard fought credibility...

Many of these grievances you listed came from the partisan frustration over the "Russia hacks". The most egregious came from hacking the DNC and Hillary's campaign which leaked classified info and soured just enough people to tip the election. Like Saddam and 9/11, the narrative morphed into outright election hacking (they did to minor success) and blowing up the reputation of Russia's troll army.

The media pushed these string of events fast and hard after feeling post election guilt for building up Trump with free publicity. They doubled down on the Mueller Report but couldn't tie the Russia angle together after the report dropped. The Troll Army angle was also galling in the sense that the reader is to assume those "ar-risk" and vastly underrepported groups were lower class or mindless rubes easily succeptible to brainwash or propaganda. I would assume they'd be a great audience for the media, should the media give them a little more credit to reach out to.

This doesn't mean Russiagate is entirely fake news, but it's a clear overreach and exactly the same failure in the marketplace that's incredibly difficult to resolve. In this case, the institutions we rely on for consensus or verification are blinded by their own biases and convictions. Which is mostly fine for a unified marketplace until they start purging and shaming their own reporters for reporting the opposite.

Democracy and free speech isn't easy. If we really want it, muting or shutting things down won't Save America. I'm also concerned over the speed of tech, such as deepfakes, but a looming fear of deepfakes shouldn't be license to throw out blunt legislation of oppression.

If it were all that simple, the first thing to pass would be a law demanding everyone to trust each other.

#8 Invisible Fan, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The Bush admin pushed a narrative that suggested a link between Saddam and 911.

It is similar (again this isn't new). Challenge #2 is 'the information marketplace presumes that people process information rationally, thoughtfully, and deliberately". Challenge #1 is what happens when the markets failed to promote better ideas and info of higher quality. In this case, a deadly Iraq war that probably has more negative than positive overall for the world and for the US (an understatement).

Now, that was one instance of an admin - with all of its resources and wide audience - pushing a narrative for months. Imagine packaging that up into tweet sizes messages, delivered by anyone at any time to a massive open marketspace free of physical and time barriers at a cost of nearly nothing, that can be repeated and targeted and as time goes on with more powerful technique and intelligence, strategically done at a certain time, to certain people over a certain timeframe. It's all open - we have no way to stop anyone from doing intended harm to our society with our current laws and we are totally reliant on the private sector to decide for themselves what's appropriate and what's not - which they have somewhat done for selected messages and cases, but it's has all been reactive after the harms were too visible and too dangerous to continue.

10. Invisible Fan

In a different thread, I'm ok with the idea of redefining internet companies as a form of common carrier. They have a murky status where they're not entirely liable for speech by its members but more or less retain ownership rights to the content (storage and marketing). Companies with "massive open marketspace free of physical and time barriers at a cost of nearly nothing" (large network effects) would apply here.

I do think the government would be overwhelmed by the amount and speed these companies have to process, so there's a steep learning curve when it comes to "dangerous tweets". I just think existing regulation that's been worked with for the past century could be starters for a more effective framework towards some safeguards people are worried about.

Overall, the extent and scope to which people normally process and parse information has largely been unchanged. Most wars generally come from an incident that was blown up or exaggerated such as the sinking of thr Lusitania or the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Even gold standards of journalistic integrity are fairly new. It popped up around the Vietnam War but most papers were known for muckraking and political alliances.

For starters, if everyone can post or report news, it should be mandatory for public schools to teach critical thinking in parsing and discriminating information. Maybe an hour of internet communication since it's so damn vital to the economy these days. The problem is that we want to make biology an optional myth and whitewash our history books, so a class like this does nothing for the establishment or the buy-now-trash-tomorrow economy,

Lets just place local ads for CNN in HS stadiums instead.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump and the radical Trump brown nosers and clones in the GOP are a perfect example of this.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the information warfare is making the smart people smarter and the dumb people dumber.

you got save investors making money of TSLA and AMZN and you got people using crazy glue on their hair on TikTok.
    @Os Trigonum

people are easily manipulated by the media or worse, celebrities

be on the side of the smart people and you will survive

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

With tobacco that was false advertising as the state lawsuits showed that tobacco companies knew they claims they were making weren't true. In a sense like that certainly laws regarding proof in adverting should be enforced but if it was left to me I would be fine with advertising for more products including the tobacco. I will also note that we've seen a lot of advertising too against tobacco funded by all sorts of groups.

I find it interesting how both the Left and the Right talk about how media and social media are consolidated, which is why I was speculating we might actual see something done about them, but I doubt that you agree with some of our Right leaning posters that they should be regulated so that they cannot moderate speech by people such as Alex Jones or QAnon conspiracies. At that point then this cry for more regulation has to be determined as, regulation for what end and by who?

On one hand there is an argument that more content needs to be blocked / moderated and that these media outlets shouldn't be just allowing content on for profit while on the other hand there is call that media outlets shouldn't be moderating content and for free speech purposes they should allow content even that which many find offensive whether it affects their bottomline or not.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will also point out the irony of complaining about size of social media companies on a site that isn't a Twitter of Facebook. It is still possible to have other social media forums and more reason to contribute to Clutch.

tinman and jiggyfly like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My issue with companies like Facebook is their buying off of competition like Instagram and WhatsApp.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The State is slower than the private sector, in that way, having the state actively 'regulate' is not the answer IMO. Regulated as 'common carriers' seems to mean the State can monitor and control - I prefer not to go there. I think it has the danger of a government overstepping and suppressing speech, or the very opposite - forcing companies to allow contents against their own natural ToS. For a true carrier, maybe. Social media platforms are not true carriers, not a monopoly of information.

I definitely do not know the answers... my thoughts are..

I prefer a model that is similar to you can't yell fire in a packed theater. You shouldn't be able to simply lie and be protected from all penalties. Looking at the potential consequences, I think you can easily argue that the yelling fire in a theater is far less deadly than the lies that end up creating chaos, confusion, and hates in our society, intended or not. A platform that does nothing to stop this should be liable as well as the individuals.

I do want the gov to have the ability to shut down foreign-initiated cyberattacks on the US. While I do not want the gov to have the power to suppress the speech of US citizens, I think they should have some power to suppress foreign 'speech', of non-democratic or authoritarian gov and entities we believe are aiming to harm our society or gov. eg. FB allowing foreign entities to create FB accounts to spread hate within the US should not be allowed and should be liable (yes, I realize these foreign gov can react by suppressing US speech, but they already have the power to do so today).

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For safeguarding and protecting our society from foreign and domestic harms. By the US gov and the Private sectors.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The flea market of ideas is open every weekend.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes all those people who don’t contribute and are just leaching should contribute or leave immediately