1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What FA's would you get to complete our roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

With training camp starting October 3rd, it's getting real close to the time when we have to finish putting our roster together. If we assume that no trades are going to be done(crap! :(), what FA's will we sign to round out our roster? We've only got 11 players under contract at this time. Since we're on the edge of the Luxury Tax, they'll all have to be for the veteran's minimum.

C: Ming/Cato
    PF: E.Griffin/Taylor
    SF: Rice/Piatkowski/Nachbar
    SG: Mobley/A.Griffin
    PG: Francis/Moochie

Sad to say, but that roster doesn't exactly make me trimble with fear.

Anyway, it looks like we need another big man, especially at PF. Some that might be of interest, are Gary Trent, Scott Padgett, Tyrone Hill, Donnell Harvey, Shawn Kemp, Jelani McCoy, & Vladimir Stepania(C).

I'd pursue Kemp, Hill, & McCoy in that order. The first one to accept, I sign.

Next, it's been reported that JVG wants a veteran PG to back up Francis. Some PG's that might be of interest, are Rafer Alston, Kenny Anderson, Travis Best, Tim Hardaway, Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland, & Shammond Williams.

I'd go with Jackson, Strickland, & Alston, in that order.

Depending on how many players the Rockets intend to carry on the IL this year, I might pursue another 2/3 or 3/4 swingman, such as Jim Jackson, Jon Barry, Stephen Jackson, Dermarr Johnson, Voshon Lenard, T-Mo, or Bryon Russell.

If we get the players I'd choose, our roster would look like this:

C: Ming/Cato/Kemp
    PF: Griffin/Taylor/Kemp
    SF: Rice/Piatkowski/Nachbar(IL?)
    SG: Mobley/A.Griffin/D.Johnson(IL?)
    PG: Francis/M.Jackson/Moochie(IL)

Who would you sign?

Oh Yeah, I for got about Badiane. Would you sign him & make him a part of this year's roster, or wait until next year?

#1 Hottoddie, Aug 17, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Member

I'd say "Run To The Hills." I like the way he operates in the painted area.

3. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

I would love to try Padgett at the three.

4. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

We are deep enough at the four and five, we don't need kemp's old ass in there.

5. a-rock

a-rock Member

....isn´t alston already signed by the clippers??

6. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

Mark Jackson
    Jim Jackson
    Stephen Jackson
    Michael Jackson
    Action Jackson
    Jesse Jackson

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think more than anything this team needs a veteran back up PG. Mark Jackson and Kenny Anderson come to mind as decent candidates for the job. Anderson might be too expensive but I would still go after him.

This team needs a veteran leader driving the second unit and Moochie is just not going to cut it.

8. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

I´d like to see CD go after Jim Jackson. He´s still out there, isn´t he? Now that the Kings have signed Peeler, they might not be as willing to keep JJ.

#8 Legendary21, Aug 17, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  9. Yetti

Yetti Member

Isn't Piatowski the Shooting Guard and A.Griffin a Shooting Guard that can play some Small Forward?You got it Hottoddy!

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

Actually, they're both listed on the Rocket's site as G/F's. Since Piatkowski is 6'6" & Griffin is 6'5", I just figured that Piatkowski would play the SF position. Especially, since JVG reportedly stated that he sees no distinction between the 2/3 positions. Yea, I've got it now. ;)

11. pasox2

pasox2 Member
    Supporting Member

None. None of these players will make a difference. We need a trade, not a band-aid.

Fill out the rest with NBDL players that cost 200,000 instead of 1.5 mil. You can cut them when you trade.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

I don't think so. You might be thinking about Eddie House.

13. Codman

Codman Member

Lee Nailon would be a nice pickup.I'm not sure why New Orleans got rid of him, or why the Knicks didn't utilize him enough. He can play the 3 or sometimes the 4 depending on who he's matched up against. The guy can just plain score in bunches.

Cod

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

We've only got 4 players at the 2 positions. If one goes down, we'll have to bring in someone off the street that might not know our system, & it could take several games before they could contribute significant minutes. Yes, we need to sign another big man, unless you want us to play reeeeeeeeal small ball. After those 4, our tallest player (Rice) is 6'8".

As for Kemp, he may be old, but he's big & brings the kind of size & muscle that we need. Based on last year's numbers, he's still got something left in his tank & he can play both the 4/5 positions.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_kemp/index.html

15. Nova

Nova Member

Hill wouldn't be a bad pickup. I wouldn't mind signing on TMo again either as he can cover the 3 and 4 and has potential, in case our plethora of 3's somehow don't get the job done. If we hadn't picked up Griffin I would've loved to get Raja Bell. As for the backup pg, I think Alston would be an interesting fit here, I would definitely choose him over Moochie as of now.

16. mikedane

mikedane Member

Im waiting till next year for the rockets to hopefully go after one of the bigger names instead of whats leftover this year. Van Gundy should have a better view of what the team needs by then and what players he needs to get rid of after he pushes them to there limit.

17. Sane

Sane Member

Mark Jackson or Charles Oakley. Basically, someone who'll make a difference, even with almost no minutes.

18. egn

egn Member

Kemp?

Instead of rolling over and smoking a cigarette after sex, Kemp rolls over and smokes a ham.

19. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

I would take Mark Jackson... becuz of his great passing ability and becuz he might be able to mentor Mooch (although to me thats hopeless)... and i would take tyrone hill at pf cuz MoT and eg just arent strong enough... Sometimes they make me think that we should try substitute in our power dancers becuz the frontline is so weak so it wouldnt make a difference..

20. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Member

I think the general consensus is that Mark Jackson would be a great PG for the Rox. But in the front court, I like Harvey and McCoy. Seeing as how they're young and still have some potential, I'd be willing to sign them to minimum deals for insurance in the front court. Harvey is a banger, from what I remember, and though McCoy isn't the strongest center, I think he's got decent shotblocking potential.