1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What exactly should our expectations be this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We don't own our draft pick.

Obviously, the beginning of the season is brutal. Schedulewise, of course... combined wth a new coach and very young team. It's the perfect storm out of the gate. Eventually though, these guys will mature over the course of the season...develop and gel, to a degree. A work in progress, we lack interior D and rebounding too. I expect a deal or two around the deadline, this year and next. We'll be around .500 over the second half..maybe better.

33 - 34 wins.

groovemachine likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see it as a maturation of a fan to not use the word 'bust' as often and only when it is necessary after 3-5 years of data.

And leave the groaning to the bedroom.

Hemingway, Easy and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah I agree with this. Part of being a sportsfan is going through the rough times and not declaring the world is over at every stumble.

groovemachine and lakersuck2 like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's top 4 protected. So we might keep it.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think our interior defense is ok. The first two games we were absolutely destroyed by Cole and Vassel. It is really hard to rebound effectively if you are having to constantly worry about guards getting into the lane. We do need the weak side defender (usually Jabari) to do better. We are plenty tall enough, but we have to do better at stopping the ball at the point of the attack. This league is very guard oriented right now and having a good perimeter defense would lead to much better success than having someone planted in the paint. If said big misses the block then you are surrendering rebounding position.

Dobbizzle and Plowman like this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is what worries me. Our perimeter defense is garbage with Green and Smith Jr out there. And if we had a Wenbanyama or Even Mobley, then who cares - they'll clean it up. But we have Sengun. And as convinced as I am that Sengun is the best player on this team right now, he isn't a defensive anchor. So either we need to surround him with perimeter defenders (who are also capable shooters) or we need to go get a guy who can anchor the defense.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Forget about tanking, the team will be good enough to gift OKC a pick in the 6-8 range. Hopefully Brooklyn misses the playoffs so we at least get a lottery pick.

8. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Pray we pick in the top 3 and Brooklyn's pick is also in the Top 10. Though this is supposed to be a bad draft.

9. invocux

invocux Member

Against Spurs we were 8-32, today we are 9-33, against Orlando 12-34.

In total: 29-99. 29% from behind the arc. We can't win any game with 29%. Our guards, forwards can not make a 3 to save their lives. We need shooters we always needed shooters.

harold bingo likes this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jalen Green has regressed….this is his 3rd year and he suppose to be our Star?! With all of his athleticism, he cannot get by people? Jalen was not good….Jabari is up and down on confidence…..Sengun was good but could not do much against Looney….Brooks is AWESOME…..Fred was not hot tonight….I want to see the team with Tari

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Expectations from me is that we should prepare to be happy if we break 30 mins this season, because there is a real possibility that we might not. I said it before the season started that I could not have been more down on the Rockets since the moment we got FVV+DB for over $60M. Thankfully FVV's contract has a pretty team friendly number of years and DB has been not stupid so far, but Jesus Christ... over $60M for a couple of role players! Even if we got BL, we would have been a pretty middling team, just with our best shooter coming out of the 5 spot. Let's see how the season plays out though.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is just a number, could very well be 27, 28, 29.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Would have to go 23-50 now to end up at 29 wins.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Continuing to get better.
    Guys getting to know each other game better.
    Letting what they have learned mentally to become more instinctual.
    Reading opposing defenses better.

15. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Playoffs… anything more should be considered a bonus.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The only team to play the defense I've mentioned has been the Magic.

I believe this confirms to me that the NBA is rigged.

NBA probably told teams not to pack the paint on the Rockets until the playoffs.
    Either that or NBA defensive coaches are not as smart as me.

I cut off my Fubo subscription and am no longer watching the Rockets.
    Only look up Jalen Green, Jabari, Tari, Whitmore box score stats.
    I cheer for them. I can't watch FVv, Dillon and Sengun head whip their heads
    back every time they drive seeking the call.

CP3 and Harden were criticized for doing the same....but i cant stomach this brand.

I'm turning to just watching the Texans and Astros.

I'll watch the Rockets again when FVv and Dillon are off the team. I did the same
    with Watson at quarterback for the Texans.....now the Texans have the real deal
    in CJ Stroud and I'm concentrating on football.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think someone put LSD in your vitamin bottle.

Easy, Deckard and CXbby like this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lmao this guy was so wrong about his prediction that the only explanation is that the NBA must be rigged and he can’t even bear to watch the Rockets succeed anymore. This is a special kind of internet psycho here.

apollo33 and Easy like this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fred VanVleet has 92 drives this season and has been fouled 1 total time, for a free throw rate of 1.1%. Sengun has 43 drives and has been fouled 4 times. I think you may be watching the wrong team.

20. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Play in tournament at minimum. Best case scenario we get into the playoffs